Click for MCC
Click for Cape Scott
Click for McKinna
Click for McConaghy
Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for Oceanco
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT CLUBS > Chris Craft Roamer Club > Chris Craft Roamer Discussion > 38 Riviera Restoration

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

38 Riviera Restoration

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #376 (permalink)

Mexicans work cheaper and harder

Grab a few Mexicans from a sportfish builder and they can really work!
Occupational hazzards abound.... Man loved tacos for lunch... area flammable... and not from the chemicals... industrial fans recommended at all times.
Attached Images
homer1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #377 (permalink)

The Door

Well, buiding a slider is tough, but saves a lot of space and offers the opportunity to build a Nav Station area lounge. This door is solid Ribbon Stripped Mahogony with a brass porthole... Heavy. This will be a two way mirror porthole.. see out, but not in... i.e.

Anyone looking for good boat parts of quality.. try "BrassWorks" online.. they got a lot of cool stuff the boat companies buy stuff from. The lockset is from Italy.. its cool, though heavy.. she slides smooth and closes like a vault.

Reason she is lighter color is the door was not epoxied yet.. epoxy and finish does darken the wood considerably.... golden Burmese FEQ1 quater sewn 1/2 inch teak deck will offset in the end... so no biggie. We used a large piece of flat formica Frosty White for the binnacle area.. came out beautiful.. no more paint there.. Yippie!

Now those old engine hatches weigh a ton... saggy, rotty, clumsey Roamer hatches.... THEY ARE GONE! Look closely on the deck.... here is a great solution. Nidacore Honeycomb! I mean I do not think a hatch weighs more than 8 pounds, is very strong,... can't rot and are very sound retarding.. but must be banded... another pain. This is what the sportfish boys use now. They are built into an aluminum track with a waterway.. spray all you want.. water runs into a gutter and out a pipe and out the drain.

Neopreme seals the edges so no sound comes up or not so much as before. Though you can't see it.. all the side panels are 3/4" Greek Shelman Ribbon Stripe Mahogony sealed on both sides, sprayed behind with Coast Guard approved sound retardent with a two inch layer of all foam SoundDown. We added some wieght, but we also took a lot out.. in the end, we are a heavier boat though. Who cares.. aluminum hulls are so light anyway. We don't like noise unless it's the Beatles, Stones, Herb Albert or Burt Bacharach... NO RAP music.. what's with those angry Tarzan jingles?? I think those tunes come with new Sea Rays with fool's gold keychains... No? Shows you how society has progressed. We create our own way thank you.
Attached Images
Old 08-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #378 (permalink)

Let's talk teak..

Now.. what are your options?

Glass it with nonskid... sorry man, we are not into that look. Or you could go with original GenCorp white decking material which actually holds-up quite well and is reasonable, or Fake Teak.. but, it gets hot, the black rubber smudges the plastique and it really is not cheaper at all if you find the real thing right! Real teak decks are so resilient to slipping and do not get so hot.

What do you ask for?? Well, you need to know where to go and who to deal with. You want FEQ1 quarter sawn, tight grained vertical golden.. amount of tiger stipes in the wood is a matter of personal taste. It is grown on one special slope in Burma or as they say, Myanmar. Political problems are an issue and teak can't be directly improted from Myanmar to USA. DON'T use carribean plantation teak!

Burmese goes to India or China first. Some like the perfect blond stuff with no character, others like a bit of tigering which is my preference as it lends such natural beauty. Teak does not turn gray unless you fail to oil it and wash it down. It is not so high maintenence.. a varnished tow rail is what will get you.. oh boy it will! Oxolic Acid (The active ingedient in Wood Bleach) in a bucket of hot water will turn your teak golden new again in minutes.... $8 bucks at Ace Hardware. But neutalize with baking soda afterwords, wash down with mild detergent, let dry.... Teak Oil, then WOW!!

We will make a waterway along the rear.. you know how the water likes to slush around the back a bit.. we are ending that program too and increasing the scupper diameter. Teak will be 1/2 ich thick, 1/8th grove and between 1.9-1.75 thick.. hatches will be bordered/framed.

It's a good idea to go pick-out your own Burmese teak from 30 year old trees miniumum.... anyone looking let Homer know and we will hook you up right.
Attached Images

Last edited by homer1958; 08-26-2011 at 05:00 PM..
Old 08-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #379 (permalink)

Spraying.. such an ordeal

Maybe not so bad... here is our Rube Goldberg spray booth.. well it worked.. no dust, no nothing... we covered everthing with fresh plastic and provided a fan.
Attached Images
Old 08-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #380 (permalink)

Spray away men!

This is coat one of 5 in the first shoot. The Chromaclear is so shiny even a micro error in prep magnifies. We must sand it down a bit and shoot again.. with all the sheen it is easy to see the imperfections.. THIS MUST BE "Durablock" FLAT BLOCKED! I ran the DA a bit much, but it is ok.. just have to make a couple of days more work.

Anyway.. that is all for now... hope you liked and picked up some new ideas... remember, this boating thing is not a sport, it's a disease for the frustrated Roamer Loving craftsman, treat as a disease. Are you tired of your desk job? In sum, cathartic, or as I say-- male knitting :-). For the most part we need to do our own prep or it would not be affordable.. a great painter can be in and out in a matter of a few hours.

Now Hurrcane IRENE strikes her in 12 hours.... I say the Roamer punches back.. we shall see.. stay tuned for more next week. WILL THE ROAMER SURVIVE???

Homer
Attached Images

Last edited by homer1958; 08-26-2011 at 05:20 PM..
Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #381 (permalink)

OOPS.. Nav station.. will it save us from Irene? NO!!

Well this one was tricky.. how to build a nice navigation center that does not look like an add-on basement job that you can lock with ease. Well Garmin has the goods.. they got it and man is it easy to use and does it all. I studied RayMarine too.. Garmin 1200 won by a long shot in my books.

Now you see it, then you do not. We built a curved header above to fit it in and it looks great (two dimensional header peice will get header white padding, enough wood ... you can see out and it obstructs nothing much.
Attached Images

Last edited by homer1958; 08-26-2011 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: X
Old 08-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #382 (permalink)

Hungry or Thirsty?

Now.. boy was I glad to get away from the Wood Butchers of Maryland.
These people in the Carolinas do it right and they are fair... more than fair. Maryland/Annapolis area might be for Crabs, but it is not for Craftsman. They left with Trumpy. See James.. The man is an artist!

Well, when we redesigned the interior on a napkin.. oh yes, a napkin.. we got it right... Probably have gained another 25% in space by cold molding into the hull, particualry the bow. I looked at every weld. 40 years later not one cracked weld!!.. Now that's amazing and she did see some ruff stuff over the years.

The kitchen boasts a side by side Novacool, three burner smoked glass Kenyon downdraft cooktop, Corain/ Wilsonart bull nosed countertop, a recessed trash bin to the right of the faucet, deep sink, lots of big sliding drawers as well as a hidden vented convection Microwave.

In the floor we built a fully drainable insulated ice chest draining into the shower sump. The stairs offer more storage too. Last but not least AMTICO flooring.. that is an amazing product. looks real, choose your wood and strip widths.. each is individually cut and looks so good. Though you can't see it, Amtico is only in the kitchen/ bath area... then it has a Hickory half-mooned swail joining to carpet in the living area.

In the half wall lies a remote control BAR "The Sand Bar" on a 12V actuator... this is what folks really get a chucke over. Hit your keychain.. up comes a fully stocked Bar with 6 Jet aircraft cantors engraved with spirit of choice. Yes, she is lit from underneath too. It looks like a plain galley, but under the hood lie some Bondian delights... just can't grow up I guess :-)

Yes.. she was pulled out of a junk yard of sorts 8 years ago... all earned the hard way, no free bees. Love those metal hulls!
Attached Images
Old 09-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #383 (permalink)

Flybridge

Where can I find a flybridge like yours for my 37' Roamer. You guys did a beautiful job on that Roamer!
Ysmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #384 (permalink)

Careful... Not easy

Look for an early 70's Luhrs or Silverton. They are similar in the 30 foot range. Coincidetally the lines match the Roamer perfectly but the length and width must be cropped and reglassed. Also due to all the glass... the 37 Roamer top will rack in a breaching sea particularly if the windows are open.... you must reinforce in two ways and the project is major. Think twice before you undertake. My ladder came from an old Tiara...great job quality but big bucks when completed....you must also go to a seastar steering system. No question the bridge doubles the enjoyment and view... but it is a large commitment. Yes ... there is some cult status associated with good old Roamers... maybe even as much as Bertram 31's in a sense.... but unless you make the commitments to do It right, you just get an old boat with another coat of paint. Roamers are very labor intensive to rebuild and complicated in some ways. If they built it today, it would be cost prohibitive. Technically production boats but in the end they are and were very hand built. The hulls are indestructible... but Chris was known for this back then.... particularly the Roamer and Commander. Then there were the 46 52 and 57 Connies.... We are talking beautiful furniture there. Roamers... big back decks, great walk around gunners, seats upfront and a total classic slick Bondian look.... Is it worth doing?... well, you will find out what you are made of. Never look back, never quit, never cheat.... keep the end look in mind at all times and you can and will achieve your dream. Thank you for your compliment but it was not easy and for those who do it will find one of the greatest of personal satisfactions.... one that can't be brought:... be part of maintaining 'The Legend of Chris Craft.'
Old 10-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #385 (permalink)

Teak Search

Well.. we have learned a few things about Teak along the way. First, Teak is not Teak.... you have to hand pick it from piles from the right place with trees grown in a certain slope in a special forest in Burma. It should be quarter sewn vertical grain golden with few if any knots or pinholes.

Well, I grabbed a $99 flight to West Palm to the supplier of the nation's finest marine hardwoods. The same place Teak Deck Systems and Ribovich gets their wood.... or some of it.

These folks were very helpful and took their time to teach and assist in the selection process. Any of you looking for any type of wood can find it here at a fair price, not cheap but not over-priced either... bottom line is high quality.

We looked through many piles of beautiful Burmese teak... and picked each board until we had what is known as "Super Deck" or A++ grade teak from older Burmese Teak trees 60 years plus... otherwise known as Tectona Grandis. Each board is 1/2 inch thick and 1/7/8 wide.

In the following photos you can see the results.... I recommend anyone looking for teak or any exotic lumber of veneer to call these boys and ask for Jeff.... I mean if it grows, they got it and they won't rip you off.... most rip-offs are reserved for the state of Maryland.

I am not a fan of fake teak decks (Plastique or TekDeck).. they get hot and really are not that much cheaper. Would you rather wear a polyester suit or a wool suit?.... plus wood is far less slippery and more beautiful.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #386 (permalink)

Let's take a peak..

Here are the boys at West Palm Beach....
They have two outlets, one in North Carolina and the other in Florida.... selection is a bit stronger in Florida, but both offer a lot of wood. If you are upgrading your Roamer... this is the place to shop for wood... they even various selections of carpet teak carpet in a variety of colors for those looking for teak carpet.
Attached Images
Old 10-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #387 (permalink)

Stay tuned...

These things take years... I mean to rebuild a Roamer right.... a little bit at a time.... a hobby, well that's an understatement. We have sprayed the final coat of Dupont Chromaclear 7900'S on the cockpit... in the end, two coats of Mass Epoxy, both sanded to baby's butt smoothness, then 5 coats of Chromaclear, then sanded down again, then, 5 more coats, then sanded again and 4 more topcoats.... it is not much different than autobody.... different but similar... Well, No, we did not go the Mako route. Each coat was flat blocked because a mirror finish magnifies even the slightest imperfection.... not sure I would recommend this process to most... it's just too hard. Also, be aware that Maas Epoxy will make the wood darker than varnish.. you do lose a bit of that golden varnish glow in exchange for lifetime (almost) durability and relatively no maintenance. Stay tuned as we near the final stages.
Attached Images
Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #388 (permalink)

Congratulations

Excellent series of posts. I'm 4 years into my 2 year process on a 1966 37' only 2 years left to go. I completely agree with your recommendation to envision the finished product. I see mine on the north shore of Lake Superior.
I don't have your resources to afford a $35/hr guy. I work pretty cheep a stellar rehab you have there.
I'm with you on the no square corner's check out the door to the head.
Caledonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #389 (permalink)

Resources.. what resources?

I mean once you it prepped it is worth it to call a good painter in for the day. It's the prep that kills. Went to the Annapolis show yesterday... nice boats in the 38 range were 700-800 or more. Oh my.. a $875 for a 42 Sea Ray and the interior was gross.. plastic and cheesy. I was not impressed and could not believe anyone would spend that for that. Smart money buys a good old boat and fixes it up.. that is for sure. The old Roamers are good, but they are older... its a labor of love. Remember, I did most of the prep on my old girl myself.

I do have a guy who works for $35.00 per hour and is the finest Awlgrip painter... do the prep and pay him 10 hours to cherry the job... that is not bad and the only way it is affordable and have it look right. He will fly to you too. People who paint their own Roamers get what they paid for... that's an art to do it right.

Thank you for your compliment.. your boat came from Chicago I think.

HOMER
Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #390 (permalink)

Pictures

Please share your pictures on Add Your Roamer