Click for Cape Scott
Click for JetForums
Click for Pacific Mariner
Click for Llebroc
Click for Moonen
Click for Alexseal
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT CLUBS > Chris Craft Roamer Club > Chris Craft Roamer Discussion > 38 Riviera Restoration

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

38 Riviera Restoration

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #256 (permalink)

I could say somthing...

Something Funny, but coose to behave
homer1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #257 (permalink)

Copy Cat

Copy Cat is 300 miles upriver from here so we do not run into him. With the raised pilothouse, there is plenty of room for the whole crew.
Attached Images
Laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #258 (permalink)

Boxers are Homer's Favorite People...

Boxers are cool.. Always wanted one.. (The jowl slobber is a bit much though it seems) great personalities and playful. Not as ferocious as they look. Can you upload that interior photo you have with the captain's chair?

Tell us more aobut your boat if you can, like what you like about it and what you do not?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #259 (permalink)

Roamer Offshore 38

What I like most: Raised pilothouse, large cockpit, low profile, closeness to the water, novel design, 2 heads.
What I like least: No diesels, wiring, no stall showers (yet),
Attached Images
Laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #260 (permalink)

Captain Lawrecne....So cool!

I like the books.. is that some secret agent hiding book cabinet?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #261 (permalink)

Shower

I agree with you about the wiring.. I rewired mine... all LED now with Dimmers, All ABYC.

Yeah, Diesels for sure... they can be found used if you look hard, they do pay for themselves nowadays if you boat a lot. Roamers last forwever if basicaly taken care of... refitting for diesels is MAJOR though. Not really worth the hassle unless you are really in love. Homer nearly doubled the torque and the boat had zero problems just kept going faster and demolishes waves basically.

If you want a cool shower, Spartan Industries is the company that makes the cool plexiglass tube showers for yachts.

You are correct about low to the water.. center of gravity is very low on the 41 and under Roamers.. hence why they do not roll much and handle well.

Homer
Old 02-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #262 (permalink)

Location: Elk Rapids Harbor, Michigan and Gibraltar, Michigan
Great looking offshore! I still love my 427's no matter what you diesel guys say.
gerconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #263 (permalink)

No argument here

A 427 is a 427.. perhaps the most legendary block of all time. I have had both 427's and 454's in my 38. Here is the difference...

454's slightly faster because they have 30 or so more HP. but, for boats the 427 is better, more torque and approximates closer to a diesel pull than a 454 does. I would know, had them both. 427's for Chris Crafts are to be at 4000 RPM. 454's about 4500 RPM.. typiical GM vs Chevy stuff. Ford= more torque = Chevy a bit more speed. The Roamer 38 hull can go 38mph with 380 HP. Seems to me gas 38's seem to like 23 MPH with 427 and about 26 cruise with Yanmar turbos....that is my study.

Diesels just are so cheap to run... that's a major plus these days.

Soundwise.. 427's are way cooler than 454 too IMHO.

Fords are also cool because the company did not Scr_w taxpayers. We all know that.. so what's the contest? Go Ford Go!
Carl said no Spin, so we have to guess which party's FORD attends. Chevy has The Bow Tie & Ford The Phat Tie.

427 is a better boat motor, but not as easy to get parts for and more costly to part.. that's the basic difference. PLUS 427's are Sooooo Coooool.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #264 (permalink)

so fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
After 25 years of sailboats, it was time to get comfortable and join the "darkside". Although not looking, I found this Roamer on Craigs List 3 1/2 years ago and was smitten by the uniqueness of it. I became the third owner and have been working on it while using it ever since. It is powered by the original Chysler 413 wedge engines feeding V-drives. The hull was painted from original white to blue Awlgrip 18 month ago. I'm in northern Alabama on the Tennessee river.

Oh lovely boat so nice pic
Erik sweden
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #265 (permalink)

Yes Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1958
A 427 is a 427.. perhaps the most legendary block of all time. I have had both 427's and 454's in my 38. Here is the difference...

454's slightly faster because they have 30 or so more HP. but, for boats the 427 is better, more torque and approximates closer to a diesel pull than a 454 does. I would know, had them both. 427's for Chris Crafts are to be at 4000 RPM. 454's about 4500 RPM.. typiical GM vs Chevy stuff. Ford= more torque = Chevy a bit more speed. The Roamer 38 hull can go 38mph with 380 HP. Seems to me gas 38's seem to like 23 MPH with 427 and about 26 cruise with Yanmar turbos....that is my study.

Diesels just are so cheap to run... that's a major plus these days.

Soundwise.. 427's are way cooler than 454 too IMHO.

Fords are also cool because the company did not Scr_w taxpayers. We all know that.. so what's the contest? Go Ford Go!
Carl said no Spin, so we have to guess which party's FORD attends. Chevy has The Bow Tie & Ford The Phat Tie.

427 is a better boat motor, but not as easy to get parts for and more costly to part.. that's the basic difference. PLUS 427's are Sooooo Coooool.
And diesel is Best for the safety.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #266 (permalink)

hey nice to see 360 degrees around from the wheelhouse.
Erik
Sweden
Old 02-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #267 (permalink)

Do you ever have any problems with water in the diesel fuel?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #268 (permalink)

hi
I have mounted a valve under the tank I drained about 1liter water every spring, however, we have here in Sweden, problems with the quality of diesel it containing so much chemicals
Old 02-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #269 (permalink)

Ok... Time for a New Homer Roamer Joinery Post

We rebuilt the cockpit and are getting done. There will be a curved header helm/instrument valance we shall show you in the cockpit end. It will look like it's straight out of Italy.. Style.. real style. It has been a rough job in several ways, paricularly charges at this juncture.

There is no veneer per se here, this is all solid Shelman Marine Ribbon Stripped Sappele, 3/4 inch thick. all sealed and insulatedto quiet down the roar. Any of you looking to replace wood, get Shelman from Greece. It's great/stable marine grade solid veneer. I willl soon be going in to sand, stain and epoxy prior to spraying the cockpit with automotive Dupont 7700S clear coat, a forgiving flexible high sheen two part.... I am done with varnish-- DONE.

These photos do not look like much now, but a keen eye can see there is no wood butcher on this job. Most (not all) marine woodworkers around Maryland are the worst. Everyone calls them "The Wood Butchers!" "Did he cut your mitres with an ax?" They are not from Maine, the are not North Carolina, as the craft slowly died with the famed Trumpy built in Annapolis MD years back. America needs craftspeople badly.. we desperately do.. these craftpeople are of the highest order, if you can even find one? And, you can only get one in a recession probably.. as the Rich steal them away as soon as the sky clears. The good ones can get big jobs with big companies. Why jerk around with The Homer Roamer PeeenyBucks?

Not only is the back sealed to avoid mositure intrusion, marine sound deadening vibration control material was sprayed as well as two inches of Sound Down... much I did myself.. had too, like most Roamer owners, I am a very regular guy/ typical scrapper who bit off a big meal from a junkyard or darn close. We could not get 5 grand for this tank when I started.. AND, it had 427's in it with only 450 hours fresh water on them too... Now that's bad.

I knew She was solid underneath it all, as many of them are and I would know since I worked on her since 12 years old. You need to know what to look for though i.e. BUT, This is a custom cockpit. Ribbon Striped Sappelle w/Pomelle Mikore veneer on PVC covering the posts. What makes Roamers ideal projects is that the parts that rot are generally cosmetic, what the heck is going to happen to above water fiberglass and 5086 aluminium unless one really tries to be a true idiot... they too are about. You can go in an old Roamer, and it won't stink like The SS Mildew.. Mildew= Mold.... anyway you look at it and it's not healthy... So, just throw out the Roamer cusions and you are fine basically.

Note the bullnose Hondurous Magogany trim treatment to further define the cockpit look. Chris Craft could not go to these levels, but they did a great job of basic good looks hence we kept the original flair as best we could, but highly refined it. The taft rails were made new, The Buck Algonquin latches they use on the lareger boats in lieu of Perko, so that which was originally skinny or thin is now beefy but not compromizing the lines. We ar preserving Americana.. ya know, back when America was America.. maybe this is why we do it. because we still remeber the real America.. is it not?

If you look on the sedan top, the wooden curve will sport a Sunbrella type drop dual curtains that will mereley slide like merging shower curtains similar in effect to a theatere for ease of use. Drop curtains were a pain comparatively. There si no end to how cool you can make your Roamer with a little imagination.

Hope you all enjoy... And now that Captain Laurence has shared his photos, hopefully someone new today will show us some of theirs... Willl it be your Roamer? We are waitng for one of the BIG BRUTUS ROAMERS to join us.... we shall buckle with honor and be prepared to speak in high pitched voices if a Super Roamer drops a few photos and some history on us soon. If you are a Super Roamer owner reading this.. please surpirse us wtih a photos or two soon!

Mega Roamers 58 and up.. where are you?
Attached Images

Last edited by homer1958; 02-01-2010 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #270 (permalink)

How is that clear coat in the sun? Give a close up of the stantions. are they grooved?