Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for MotorCheck Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker

New Roamer Owner

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by Captain B, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Captain B

Captain B New Member

Well we bought a roamer to replace my converted fiberglass over wood gillnetter so we are very happy to have a steel hull which in my opinion as a fairly competent part time welder is a hull that is easily repairable as compared to glass over rotten wood. It is I believe a Riviera?? It is a 1960 registered aa a 36' but I think it is a 35' with a hull extension of app 3 1/2' to compensate for the weight of the Perkins 6-354 diesels that are in her now.It has no hardtop just a canvas enclosure .We cruise at 12 knots with a top speed of app 15 knots . Not sure how much fuel we burn as of yet but it seems very reasonable. Question ? Where is the hull #?? And is there any other owners that keep there boats in saltwater ? We are in beautiful Vancouver British Columbia and the boat is in the water year round . I have just shrinkwrapped the boat and am getting ready to remove all the salon windows and repair the wood and the forward roof over the winter.
    What are your thoughts on overplating as we are not too concerned with the extra weght and I understand this used to be a fairly common practice?

Also the stanchions are painted . Were they chrome as I see on some roamers or were some painted ?

Gulf Roamer is the boats name and if anybody has any history on her it would be greatly appreciated.

Brad
  2. Captain B

Captain B New Member

Found this Roamer for sale in Vancouver BC

Found this 57' footer called SeaRoamer for sale .

Attached Files:

3. Captain B

Captain B New Member

Picture of My Roamer

Thought I would post a picture of our unrestored Roamer . Will post pics of complete restoration as we are starting on it soon.

Attached Files:

4. bearhair

bearhair New Member

Where abouts are you? I am getting ready to move back to BC, after spending the past seven years out here in Ontario. Plan on bringing a roamer, in need of restoration, back with me. I grew up on the ocean and am anxious to see how stable a steel hull is in choppy waters. What horsepower are those engines? Will be interesting to see how a steel hull holds up. The ferries seem to hold up well, but then again they have a substantially larger budget and stream of income than I do for maintenance!!
  5. Captain B

Captain B New Member

I live in New westminster but the boat is in Steveston (Richmond). The boat was a former salmon charter boat on the west side of Vancouver island .

It is the most stable boat I have been out on I think because of the weight ,a very enjoyable ride in some pretty heavy seas. The Perkins are 130 HP each. Are you transporting a roamer here and if you are I would be interested in the costs asd I saw a Roamer for sale in Ontario and was very curious what it would cost to get it here although the divorce would be imminent.
  6. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

Hi Brad

I just rebuilt the windows on my 35' this past winter and spring. I didn't restore it as original, but made it the way I wanted it. Next spring I start rebuilding the cabin interior, the way I want it.

Kenny

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/chris-craft-roamer-discussion/9772-cabin-window-refit.html