Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn

Roamer Rust Help Needed

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by natasha, Aug 26, 2009.

1. natasha

natasha New Member

I just inherited a 1965 35' Roamer and it has a few spots of rust on it, no area more than 15" in diameter. I'd like to keep this boat and do the repair myself. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've heard of rust converters and naval jelly. I'm brand new to this and want to make sure I have the right information before I begin any restoration efforts.

thanks!
  2. m2m

m2m Senior Member

Sandblasting is the best method,but shy of that you can grind all of the rust out and apply Ospho, which is a converter. Apply a good epoxy over the Ospho followed by your topcoat. Marine and hardware stores carry Ospho
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

1965? Audio gauge?
  4. doug p

doug p Member

5. Savasa

Savasa Senior Member

Natasha,
    Congratulations! I feel NYcap makes an excellent suggestion. Before you try any of the suggestions (all of which I agree with thus far, although I prefer POR), find out exactly the extent of the rust (there may be rust in a corresponding spot INSIDE the hull and a proper repair may necessitate welding in a patch rather than just treating the visible rust on the outsde)
    Savasa