Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for Mulder

New Comer - Looking at 1968 Roamer 37'

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by fjgomps, Jun 27, 2009.

1. fjgomps

fjgomps Guest

I was wondering can anyone give me a few tips on what to especially look for when I see this Roamer I am interested in. I have never owned a steel boat before. The current owner does not use the boat. Sound like it has not reallly been used for 3 years execept for sleeping on various weekends. Boat is laucnhed, sits all summer, occassionally started, then pulled for winer storage. He has replaced the Head, and kept the boat in good condition, but just does not have time for it anymore. Engines are 427's and have been rebuilt and only have 10 hours on them since rebuild (one in 2002 and the othe in 2004). Thanks in advance for you help.
  2. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I don't know anything about the 427s, have diesels myself, but with those hours she is definitely a dock queen. I'd have those engines checked very closely and all running gear. Remember an engine will go bad quicker from lack of use than from use, they deteriorate either way but quicker from lack of use. Just because they have low hours doesn't mean they are in good shape.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Have the hull audioguaged. Also thoroughly check the rudderposts, and all through hulls for signs of electrolosis and rust and the operation of all seacocks.
  4. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

Check the windows for leaks, the wood trim for rot, alot to look at. If you buy make sure you get a surveyor that understands Roamers.

Take a look at a lot of the tracks on window replacements and the examples of rot they show. Mine and a lot of other have had leaks along the windows and port holes. Make sure they are well seated and don't leak

Read through a lot of posts and you will see examples of about everything. Great boats but remember as old as the boat is so is probably the wiring, propulsion, and most systems. You said he replace the head did he replace the hoses to the heads, does it have a holding tank (a lot of the older ones don't wasn't required back then) and etc...

Good luck
  5. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Rehab

Roamers are old boats. Expect leaks repairs and maintenance but we buy them anyway!
  6. fjgomps

fjgomps Guest

thanks

I have decided not to pursue this boat, thanks for your reply.
  7. fjgomps

fjgomps Guest

thanks

Thanks, we decided nt to pursue this boat. Thanks Again.
  8. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

These boats can be a lot of fun but they can be a big drain on your pocketbook too..... if my wife only knew how much I was spending.:rolleyes:
  9. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

hi but money is not everyting the feeling to have a roamer is just great.
  10. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I'd have a much better cash flow if it wasn't for the expenses associate with maintaining this, doing special projects, and buying "necessary" tools.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If she reads this post she might start asking :D
  12. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

hi
    You have so rigth have spend 15000$ for the boat and 22000$ for the freight
    to Sweden .then round 10000$ in three year.Grateful to have the possibilyty to do that.despite the crisis .
  13. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

K1W1, you are right he could be very sorry he made that post. Never put anything on the internet you don't want everyone in the world to know.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If we see a post for a very pretty green Roamer for sale we'll know she follows the YF.;)
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Ain't that the truth.

Unlike a lot of places online we do have an understanding Admin here in the shape of Carl who may make adjustments to posts when the posters editing time has finished if asked nicely.
  16. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

The Admiral is proud of her pretty green Roamer and can't wait for it to be back on the water next year. She tells everyone of the changes I'm making on it for her.:D Next we start her new cabin interior and shower.
  17. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

Mine always talks about the new washer and dryer we put on during the winter, have to keep them happy.