Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

Determining transmission gear ratio?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by biodon, Jun 13, 2009.

1. biodon

biodon New Member

The tag on my Model 71 Velvet Drives have been worn down so I can't read the reduction ratio. I tried counting engine revolutions vs. prop shaft revolutions. I don't think that method works when turning the motor over with the starter. I'm guessing the fluid coupling only locks up when the motor is running and the hydraulic pump is pumping full pressure.

Any ideas short of tearing the transmission apart?

It is a 1958 , 28' Express with 225 hp Nash/Gray V-8s and 12x14 props (original). Any clue as to what the reduction ratio might be?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Get a hand held tacho.

Put a bit of reflector tape on the shaft and when running at a known Engine RPM Measure the shaft speed.

Example: Engine at 1000 rpm, shaft speed at 250 rpm, ratio is 4:1
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Get a hand held tacho.

Put a bit of reflector tape on the shaft and when running underway at a known Engine RPM Measure the shaft speed.

Example: Engine at 1000 rpm, shaft speed at 250 rpm, ratio is 4:1
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Try wetting the tag on the transmission with saliva, sometimes that will allow you to read the letters or they'll raise enough to read it. Otherwise you have to do as K1w1 said or, look up old specs of your boat/engine combination on the internet for old magazine tests or a build sheet or something