Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

1964 Roamer Hull Design....?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by raemore, Jun 10, 2009.

1. raemore

raemore Member

for you guys with roamers....

-Would in your opinion, the roamer hull design be strictly "planing hull"
    or part "planing-displacement" hull

- what is max range for a 36' al hull with 2x 7 liter 427 ci. or 430 ci.
    and at approx what speed would that be.

-assuming fill up of the two (100 gal ?) tanks. not sure how big those tanks are.
    many thanks.
    \alex
  2. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

Alex,

The 1964 36' Roamer is a planning hull. My experience with my 1961 35' Roamer with 2X 454 engines at 16 MPH, with my fingers crossed, would be about 1 mile per gallon. I have 2X 80 gallon fuel tanks on mine but for max range, for me anyway, I wouldn't want to cruise much more than 120 miles before taking on fuel.
  3. raemore

raemore Member

THanks Ken for your response regarding your estimated milage
    I was wondering how you came to have 454's and did they replace another type if so what was the difference.
    Ken... how do you think large weight changes would affect the milage?

incidentely..i very much like your boat awsome color!
    \alex
  4. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

My boat came stock with Chris-Craft 185hp 283ci engines. The previous owner repowered it in 1990 with the Mercruiser 454s. at 330hp each. There is a lot more weight and hp with the bigger engines which probably decreased the fuel economy but back in 1990, gas was a whole lot cheaper than it is now.

As for the color, the boat badly needed to be painted when I came onboard in 2005 as a fishing partner with the previous owner. He wanted to paint it something different than white because everybody's boats were white. He wanted to paint the hull black but my wife's favorite color is green. Since he knew we would eventually take over the boat, 2 years later, it got painted green. The editor of BoatUS Magazine liked the color so well he included a picture of it in the July 2007 issue under 'Where Our Flags Fly'. We are currently rebuliding the cabin putting in new windows and then will remodel the cabin interior. You can follow our progress in this forum or on our web site.
  5. raemore

raemore Member

Roamer weight breakdown....? whats your best guess?

many thanks for your efforts in this forum...

I was wondering if any one knew the weight breakdown for the aluminum 36' roamer...
    ie.

- hull weight .....aluminum , and steel ( best guess for bare hull.?) according to factory specs steel hull 3600 ibs more than aluminum

---SO... HOW MUCH EACH ....?????
    - motor weight breakdown ...
    427, 430,

- just motor from pully to start of gearbox ( with exhaust logs)

- complete power train from pully to prop (engine ,gearbox ,shaft prop) ...per side

any help would be greatly appreciated
    \alex
  6. more info

I just came back on here after a two year Hiatus... so heres some more poop... Mine has TWO 110 gallon tanks. We cruise the 454s at 2850 rpm and that nets about 19-20 mph depending on fuel amounts etc.She tops out at 4400 !!
    I've had mine since 1972. In '06 I bought a hurricane damaged 58 foot Hatteras in New orleans and ran her back to Chicago last year... another trophy!! ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tF-b0R-KJk&feature=channel_page
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU9mwaEtsUA&feature=channel_page
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDwxVWp_eNE&feature=channel_page