Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking

Aft Deck project

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by lacabina, May 24, 2009.

1. lacabina

lacabina Member

I have bought the Nautalex and the adhesive. I have just a few areas where the wood on one hatch and at the base of the flybridge ladder needs to be replaced. I would appreciate any suggestions and insights. Could someone suggest the best wood to use that might be available today?
    I already know that I will number all of the stainless strips and photograph everything before I start.
    Also the size and best type of staples to use.
    It is going to rain all week here. The boat is under cover so I want to be productive.
    Thanks
    Steven
    1968 Roamer Riviera 37' AL 427's
  2. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

After deck

Hi
    I have used waterproof plywood 10mm thicknes then Im going to put a teak ribb on the deck it 12*40 mm teak
    best regards Erik Finni
    lulea Sweden
  3. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

When I get to the point where I can start redoing my aft deck, I've been looking at a product called Nuteak (www.nuteak.com). Of course that will be a couple of years down the road from now and in the mean while I might change to something different.
  4. lacabina

lacabina Member

Interesting

Thanks for the idea. I just sent a note asking for more info. My concern will be the weight of the product and the fact that it is not "original". I wonder if it comes in white?
    I'll keep you posted.
  5. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

I'm not building my boat as a show boat but rather something that fits my needs and the way I want to cruise with it so it's going to be far from "original". It will still have the basic classic lines though. The Nuteak sounds good and looks good but it is pricey. A drawback I have with Nautalex is last year on the 4th of July my wife badly burned her foot while stepping on a place on the aft deck covered with Nautalex that was exposed to direct sun light for a couple of hours. She has no feelings in her feet so she didn't know it was hot. I didn't think that Nautalex would get that hot until a couple of days later when I stepped on a hot spot. I have a query into Nuteak if it gets hot while exposed to the sun.

Note: The hot spot caused a 2nd degree burn to the ball and big toe of her left foot and because of her diabetes problems the burn on her toe never healed. Infection had got into the bone and her toe had be be amputated.:(
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am sorry to read that about your wife.

I have enjoyed your website and posts and hope to see more when you are out and about again.

I wish her a speedy recovery.
  7. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

Thanks K1W1. It has slowed us down some this year but the work continues. John, my marine carpenter, is doing the major work and I was to do the finishing work and be his gopher. I hope to be back up in Wisconsin in July for a couple of months working on the boat.

Back to lacabina's question at the beginning of this thread...

Steven sorry if I hijacked your thread. I would just replace the wood on the hatch and at the base of your flybridge ladder with marine grade plywood then paint it with a good marine deck paint before covering it with your Nautalex.
  8. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I saw a boat in Annapolis that they had redone the deck with NuTeak and it looked very nice. You could tell it wasn't wood but the finished deck was very nice and functional. They were cruising up the east coast and spent the weekend at the Port Annapolis Marina.