Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay

Where can I find replacement helm seats?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by 'Penrose II', Feb 10, 2009.

1. 'Penrose II'

'Penrose II' New Member

I have recently purchased a 1961 ChrisCraft Roamer, the boat is in pretty good shape for its age and neglect over the years, well in my eyes. This is one of many of the 'ladies' that I have restored.... now comes for the biggie... Both of the Helm seats are missing, as well as all the chrome, the only thing that is left are the fasteners to the inside of the boat. Is there anyone in Canada or the US, that would know of someone that can remake, replace or refit something?

I believe in this restoration the boat would look just odd with something over the counter, and everything that has been recomended so far....is just not original...

if anyone has any idea, or knows someone that might be able to help in this I would appreciate anything!

sincere thanks to all
    J Richards of 'Penrose II'
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Why not go to the Roamer section, ask someone to send you pics and measurements, and build it or have it built?
  3. 'Penrose II'

'Penrose II' New Member

sincere thanks

It seems its always the simplest answers that are staring you right in the face, or in the very red face as the case would be right now!

thank you very much for your help, I think I will take you up on your idea, because it is the best one that I have been given.

thank you for your help!
  4. Ju52

Ju52 Senior Member

Attached Files:

5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

NICE SEAT, but it may be more suited for a galaxy roamer than a Chris Craft Roamer. :D
  6. 'Penrose II'

'Penrose II' New Member

chriscraft starship?

I think the seat is fantastic....but maybe a little over the top, however if I ever invite captain Kirk out for drinks...
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That is a typical seat for an Integrated Bridge on a larger vessel. Some of them I have seen had a trackball that had to be moved every 3 mins when seat occupied or it would start shaking the seat for up to 30 secs after which if no ball movement was detected it would sound the general alarm.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Having ONCE had a helmsman fall asleep at the wheel that's a good feature. I had to wake him up by throwing him off the helm.
  9. 'Penrose II'

'Penrose II' New Member

mirrored cabin

After getting all the responce about the seats which is terrific, I think I now have a few ideas on the go. I have been to a few different places to see abou the cost of shipping, and to a couple other places to see about the cost of making replicas.

So I thought I would see if anyone new about this oddity? It would seem that I have one of the Roamers that has the mirrored cabins...the boat is 'supposedly' a 1961,(only purchasing the boat recently I have yet to do the proper research) the helm is on the Starboard side, but here is the difference, for a 31' the head and the table are on the starboard as well, and the Galley and gaucho/bunk is on the port side. the V-birth seems to be normal, the only thing wrong is the door is missing. I may replace it, I may not. I was told that the door was "always in the way", by all Chriscraft owners that I have met over the years, this is the first time I have owned a boat with one of these doors.

Does anyone have any pictures of this cabin design? before or after restoration really would not matter.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Get thee to the Roamer posts. There are all sorts of restoration pics there.:D
  11. Hal Swinehart

Hal Swinehart New Member

I have a 1960 Roamer catalog that includes color pics of the 31. I believe that the '60 and '61 are essentially the same. It also shows a floor plan for the 31' Express and Riviera which matches the layout you described. I would be willing to email you a color scan of the two-page spread if you wish. (I assume you have the Express or Riviera, and not the Regal Sedan.)

Regarding the helm seats:

I think (don't know for sure) that most Chris Crafts around that time used the same seats. I would go looking around bone yards for seats. You may be able to find something that you can rebuild.

I have a 35' 1961 Roamer Regal Sedan, and had the helm seats reupholstered about three years ago. I had to replace the base wood (3/4" plywood). The seat bottoms have springs covered with horse hair. The backs are foam. I may have some pics, but I'm not sure how much help they will be.

Hal