Click for MotorCheck Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Walker

Rare: Chris Craft Corvette

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by ewdahler, Jul 29, 2008.

1. ewdahler

ewdahler New Member

Vette tender

This would make a nice classic tender, 36' CC Corvette 1969... pretty rare only 11 built, this is one of only a couple left...

Attached Files:

2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Is it for sale? How much and where is it located?
  3. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

34 made!

The Corvette hull was designed by Jim Wynne - commissioned by Chris Craft. A fast and seaworthy boat - Chris-Craft advertised a top speed of 35 mph with 427/300 hp engines, and Boating tested it at 35.30 mph, with three people aboard and full tanks. Not too bad - except that fuel consumption at that speed was 51.00 gph. (Incidentally, the boat in the test had the steering wheel without the outer ring. According to the magazine, the first 36 Corvette made was shown at the 1968 New York Boat Show, and the boat tested was hull number 23.)

The Corvette was available with twin 230 hp (327 cu in) or 300 hp (427 cu in), both with Paragon V-drives. Jim Wynne liked those V-drives to put the weight aft.

With a 12’-5” beam, weighing in at a little over 14,000 pounds, this was one fast cruiser with a pair of 427 motors. Twenty of these rare boats were built in 1968, and another fourteen in 1969, making this one of the very last wood boats produced by Chris Craft.
    Production data/serial #'s:
    CXFV-36-001 to CXFV-36-020 (1968)
    CXFV-36-2001 to CXFV-36-2014 (1969)
    Knowing of the other Jim Wynne designed boats Chris Craft was building in this era, such as the 19' Commander, 22' XK, and 23' Commander, it is really a wonder this one didn't show up in the lineup as a fiberglass boat. Surely, the topic must have been discussed at Chris Craft. In fact, in 1977 this design was actually produced in fiberglass, a foot longer, with modernized "Euro" lines, and built by Chris Craft in Italy! :cool:

Had the Chris Craft marketing department decided to do so, the Corvette could have well been a Commander model at any time from 1968 on. As it was, Jim Wynne's concept was reproduced 34 times in wood, the marketplace was tested and carefully watched by Chris Craft executives, and the decision was made to drop the model.
    Shame.

Attached Files:

4. ewdahler

ewdahler New Member

Corvette

I was told recently only 11 built but i'm sure youre right as that makes more sense given the records i've seen. No not for sale, I know the captain, owner has had it since new in '69, in Mass. Fantastic boat, great ride, they completely restored it after being in storage 17 hears, put in pair of 8.1 Crusaders...the combination of modern styling and classic Chris-Craft design really distinguishes this boat in my view.... This owner put all teak decks and cockpit deck it looks stunning....

CC also made a beatiful 36 Corvette in the mid-fifties which was also of limited production.
  5. Garrbo

Garrbo Member

looking for this Corvette

The guy who owned this for the last ,, maybe 20 years and I spoke many times as he was selling this gorgeous Chris. I couldn't come up with the mula and He finaly sold it. Im wondering where it got to. Are you the new owner? Whats the latest on her and where is she???
  6. rickie laroche

rickie laroche New Member

She now floats on the Bohicket river south of Charleston SC.We,ve logged 1400mi in two years We really love this boat and she allways brings great compliments.
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

Great looking boat. Absolutely beautiful. I'm a huge fan of American built powerboats/cruisers built in the 1960's. I think the styling of that period is second to none. Great to see an owner with the passion and commitment to keep the boat in top condition.
  8. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Holy Crap! That's a stunning boat!
    1400 miles of pure joy, I'll bet.

Man, what an eye catcher!
  9. nz4me

nz4me New Member

I own 1968 Chris Craft Corvette Hull 001

I have looked for years for this boat and to find 001 was a total dream come true. A magical Chris Craft!!
  10. watjam

watjam New Member

Nice vette!

I remember seeing one of these as a kid somewhere up north of Detroit. It was the most beutiful boat I'd ever seen - this brings me back.
    Calm seas and fair winds,
    Watjam
  11. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

I have never been really into these craft so I am no expert but seeing pics of them and-from a vague outside view-the craftmanship looks outstanding.
  12. rickie laroche

rickie laroche New Member

36 corvette

I think i saw 001 for sale on trader dock?My corvette is 003. We've had her for two years.Does 001 have a hard top?I'm building one for mine and would like some close up picks.
  13. Mike Lawrence

Mike Lawrence New Member

Hello, If there is anyone out there I have hull number 15. It is in original condition and is a hard top. I would like your input on how to restore her. Thank you, Mike
  14. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

Post pictures. We love pictures. (Properly sized)
  15. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

Chris Craft antique boat owners association is probably still alive and all the original drawings are at the mariners museum in Norfolk. I've restored a couple of old Chris Crafts and it's a lot of work but very rewarding when you finish.
  16. Mike Lawrence

Mike Lawrence New Member

8D40257C-D24D-47B5-9761-F682945CCBC7.jpeg
    Pl
    EA64348B-7D1C-44FF-BCDC-6F6FDDE40B8C.jpeg 8D40257C-D24D-47B5-9761-F682945CCBC7.jpeg
  17. Mike Lawrence

Mike Lawrence New Member

DB907DDB-7D08-4B1D-AE57-EA1BD635EF4D.jpeg
  18. Mike Lawrence

Mike Lawrence New Member

9C4FE4FA-2D46-454A-9F51-CBFBFCC616B7.jpeg Thanks for the info. Here are a few pics
  19. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

I am fairly sure one of these Chris Craft models was at the Shalimar Yacht Basin, Shalimar, FL in the late '60s and I would work on it when in the yard. This design looks very familiar, SYB sold a fair number of Chris Craft boats. This one is a jewel.
  20. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Jim had an incredible career, tremendous contributions to the industry. Good man, too.