Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

1966 57' Connie - I need your advice

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by St. Valentine, Apr 13, 2007.

1. St. Valentine

St. Valentine New Member

I'm thinking about refurbishing a 1966 57' Connie. The engines seem to be in good working order but it needs a lot of cosmetic work, mostly on the outside. The woodwork outside is either badly sun-damaged or rotted. They tell me the bottom is in good shape but the hull is peeling and needs a few new planks. The deck has been fiberglassed and I want to re-install a teak deck. Of course, I'll get a full survey before I do anything. Just want to know what I'm getting into. For those of you who've done this kind of work, any kind of ballpark figure on how much I'd have to spend to bring her back to spec?

Also, what's a fair price for a boat in this kind of shape? The inside just needs major updating and some cosmetic work. For example, they've painted some of the beautiful mahogany white.

One more thing. Anybody know what that boat cost brand new in 1966?

Thanks a bunch for your help.
  2. Neil Rooney

Neil Rooney Senior Member

3. 67roamer

67roamer New Member

Restoration

It depends on how much of the work you will do yourself, I can tell you it is not a one man job
    Also depends on how much rot there is and the extent of repair you want to do to bring it back to original
    If you were to just patch things up and use it obviously your cost would be minimal but to do a full restore on a boat this size could be $200,000.00 or more depending on condition
  4. St. Valentine

St. Valentine New Member

Thanks, 67roamer. Here's what it looks like to me - of course, that could change drastically after a survey. It looks like a couple of planks need replacing on the hull and the entire hull painted. The guy says the bottom's in good shape as are the engines and generator. So, I'm looking at minor patching of the hull and painting then putting in a teak deck topside. They apparently replaced the teak with fiberglass which is probably good news for me because it may have kept it from rotting things down below.

The inside just needs cosmetic work - new carpet, some refinishing here and there, etc. My main concern is the cost for fixing and painting the hull and putting in a new teak deck and restoring the woodwork topside. By the way, the teak inside the pilot area is in perfect condition. Just the outside needs replacing. If you have any idea how much that would run I'd appreciate a guess. I really want to get a pretty good idea of what I'm up against before I pull the trigger.
  5. 67roamer

67roamer New Member

Your right , the real information you need will be in the survey
    My teak deck was also covered in fibreglass. The end result was we needed to strip right down to the supports and start over as there was considerable rot below so it was easier to start over, no more leaks etc. I did not replace in teak so do not know what it will cost but based on the price of teak these days the materials alone will be fairly expensive. If you can do it yourself you will save at least half
    Good luck with the survey
    Rob