Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Burger

Does anyone know this Chris Craft?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by SLWDM, Apr 1, 2007.

1. SLWDM

SLWDM New Member

Hi,
    This is my first post, but I have enjoyed lurking here.

My wife and I just bought a 1951 42' Chris Craft. It was reported to us that it was built originally for the Babcock Ranch in South Florida. It was also reported that it has gone through two restorations, one at Rybovich and most recently at Owl Creek Boatworks.

If you know any thing about this old Chris we would love to know more!

Thanks,
    Winslow

Attached Files:

2. Gord Gowie

Gord Gowie New Member

Old chris

Hi I'm Gord Gowie
    Let me know specifically what you want to know. If it's about the history of the owners and where it was used I can't help you. If you want to know something about the model of your CC and some of the specs I can help.
    Gord
  3. Wow, what a nice-looking boat, very much more attractive than any modern Sealvercruisers (pick one). I'll dig around a little, although I'm not sure I can contribute much. But hey, it looks great.

YdX
  4. Gord Gowie

Gord Gowie New Member

old chris

Hi Gord Gowie again;
    I got more curious and did some checking. This appears to be a 1951 Chris and if the hull number starts with X-42-001 to X-42-088 then you have a Commander/ Challenger. Three hull models were built on this hull series- The Challenger, the Commander,and the Commander Enclosed. I have some more info just let me know what you need.
    Gord
  5. SLWDM

SLWDM New Member

Gord,
    Thanks for the replies. Do you think it is a Commander or a Challenger? The hull number plate is missing, is there another place to find a hull number on a 1951 Chris Craft? I really appreciate the help.
    Thanks!
  6. SLWDM

SLWDM New Member

Thanks, we are really excited! Any information would be appreciated.
  7. Gord Gowie

Gord Gowie New Member

Me again

Hi
    Yes there are a number of places you can find the hull number. The most obvious place is in the engine bay on the forward end stamped into the wood. Just look on the edge of the wood framing around the engine compartment. If that doesn't work get back to me and I'll give some more locations to look. I'm glad I'm able to help.
    Gord