Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Furuno

Pershing 43/ Chris Craft Constellation/Roamer

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by Tagg, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Tagg

Tagg New Member

Just one more of the young but curious faces on the forums. I have no area of expertise in the yachting world and have joined these forums merely to gather information. I have several questions coming up and as such have posted in the general forums due to the nature of this post. I do not currently own a yacht and am still a dependant; however, I have an interest in yachting as I am a certified SCUBA diver that would be interested in starting a dive charter business in the future. So, now that the introductions are aside and you have a relatively clear view of my wannabee status, enter the questions:

-Approximately how much value does a yacht lose on brokerage sites per year?

I have noticed that several Pershing 45's that were made back in the 1980's are relatively cheap (in terms of yachts) at around $150,000 whereas a 2001 Pershing 43 is considerably more expensive (for obvious reasons) at around 500,000. Approximately how many years would pass before we would see a serious decrease in the price ($150,000)?

-Would there be any complications with bringing a fiberglass hull from a saltwater environment to a freshwater environment?

Pershing is a relatively rare yacht stateside and as such the only Pershings that are for sale on the U.S.A. side of the Atlantic are based mainly in Florida. I live up in the Great Lakes region and would most likely be moving a boat that has spent most of its life in a saltwater environment into a freshwater environment.

-How hard is it to find insurance for a 1960's era Chris Craft Constellation/Roamer? What about maintenence and parts availability?

I have noticed that insurance was always an issue with boats that are either a) over 30 years old, b) made of wood, or c) fall into both categories. I also know that most Roamers that were made back in the 60's were made of steel. The plus of the Chris Crafts are that most of the ones at Yachtworld seem to be relatively cheap.

-Chartering divers

As I have stated before, I am a certified SCUBA diver and it would be extremely beneficial to have in my possession a yacht that would get me to and from wreck sites in the Great Lakes area. In order to make this a reality I would most likely have to charter for other divers in order to make up for the money that would be spent in this venture. Would either the Pershing 43 or Chris Craft be good choices? If not, are there other yachts that would fit the bill more efficiently?

-Maintaning yachts

I know that once a yacht is purchased that the expense does not stop there. You have mooring fees, storage fees, gas prices, maintenance of broken parts, and the like. How much money do you spend on a yearly basis for your yacht? I'm not looking for expenses for a mega-yacht owner or super-yacht owner, I'm looking at those who own a mid length yacht from 30' to 60'.

End of questions: I guess the bottom line for me is that the Pershing is boarderline too expensive and the Chris Craft is close to being too old to be reliable on the Great Lakes. If anyone can help me out that would be very appreciated as I have used the search function on this board but have not gotten any returns. Thank-you for taken the time to read my questions.

Regards, Neil
  2. Tagg

Tagg New Member

Sorry to double post here fellas but I wouldn't want this thread eliminated less than a day after I posted it as it is on the bottom of the list and no one has replied. If everyone here is of the same oppinion that I'm stark raving mad and I should get lost then please post accordingly, you'd be doing me and yourself a favor by letting me know that I am detrimental to your great community. Treat this as an introduction post as well because that was my first post and I was trying to tell you a bit about myself. Hey guys, good to be here!
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hello Neil,

I don't think your post was being ignored, but it may have contained too many questions for a timely response. In short...

1. How much does a yacht loose (depreciate) in a year?

Given your example, this may be the reason you had no response. The math is right in front of you. Simply do your homework. Log on to listing sites and begin researching a brand, model and year. Then, figure out the depreciation schedule while taking condition, hours and price into consideration. It's what the rest of us do.

2. What complications are involved in bringing a salt water boat to a fresh water environment?

You will have the arduous task of washing the salt off the boat. Garden hoses and wash rags work well in this application.

3. Insurance for a Connie or Roamer?

The official Chris Craft Roamer Club is hosted at YachtForums and you have a search tool available to you on the wood navbar above. There has been some discussion on this subject and if you'll spend a little time looking, you'll probably find your answers...

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/chris-craft-roamer-club-223/

4. Would a Roamer, Connie or Pershing be good for chartering divers?

Any boat can carry a few passengers and equipment, but if your intention is to charter, you have many other variables to consider, ranging from licensing to insurance. Oh... and a pleasure boat typically doesn't make for the best dive boat. The passengers just end up partying.

5. Cost of maintenance?

This question is too open ended. Again, too many variables. Personally, I would figure 10-20% of the purchase price of the boat as a VERY loose rule of thumb. This figure is greatly influenced by condition, prior maintenance and how the boat has been treated. It is also affected by the age of the boat and the environment in which it has been operated. A newer boat will require less maintenance, whereas an older boat will require more. Kind of a common sense answer, heh?

In closing...

Do your homework. Read articles. Make calls. Ask questions. And finally... get a survey. A boating forum is a great place to get information and learn, but I'm afraid that a barrage of questions... that you could have answered for yourself, might not be the best way to elicit a response.
  4. KCook

KCook Senior Member

"contained too many questions for a timely response"

I agree with Carl. It's common for newcomers to message boards to pour out dozens of questions in their very first post. Then wonder why there is no response. Posts focusing on just 1 or 2 topics are far more likely to get answers. The zillion question posts are literally overwhelming. And (possibly except for Carl) none of us get paid to answer. So we choose the easier (briefer) questions.

Kelly Cook
  5. Tagg

Tagg New Member

Sincerest Apologies

My sincerest apologies to Yacht Forums and the rest of the members of these great boards. I guess I know how to break in a new membership, eh? I had posted these questions because I had come to the answers but was unsure if I had gone wrong somewhere and as such wanted confirmation without biasing the response towards what I had found to be true. But I have acted like the very noob that I myself hate dealing with and am sorry I can do no more than apologize for my unbecoming conduct. I will do my best to not to post a post that is so unworthy of these boards. Thank-you for at least taking the time to answer even if you found the post annoying to respond to. I'll try to clean the act up pronto lest I kill off what is left of my dignity.
  6. goplay

goplay Senior Member

I am a fan of Pershing but not the older ones. The more recent models are far more consistent, a little more classic looking (for an express), and better laid out. I personally would not buy a Pershing that is pre-Ferretti.
  7. Love my Woodies

Love my Woodies New Member

Great Lakes Too !

Hi, Im new too!

I have been looking for a 40-60 Chris,Hatteras,etc...I thought I might be able to make a little fun and cover expenses by finding some fishermen and DIVERS.I also would like to learn to dive if only to clean and check my bottom:D

I have almost finished restoring a little 1964-32foot wooden Conny.I am a carpenter by trade and like wooden boats.This boat is too small now with my new dreams of maybe retiring and living aboard with my pooch,and maybe a few ladies now and then.

I am now living on the Upper Niagara River at the north east end of Lake Erie,where are you?

I love this web site with its first hand information,Great pictures and our ability to link up with Captains ,Mega -small yacht owners and operaters.

My other favorite web forum is JAGLOVERS because I love looking after my XJS.I am new to computers and the web and think its fantastic that we can do this from our remote locations.

I will look up Pershing boats becase I have never heard the name,what do you like about them?

If I had the other half of the 150 grand the 58 Hatteras is selling for on e-bay I would grab it as I think it is the best deal I ever saw!

Gotta go to my meeting-talk to you gentleman later-eh!

David and is dog,Magoo
  8. WannabeeYhtsman

WannabeeYhtsman New Member

Is this really a serious decrease, measure of deprecation? To truly determine depreciation/appreciation you must know the value/selling price at the time of first launched. While yachts require upkeep expenses, if a yacht is maintain well it can hold onto its initial value for a very long time. I think I have been even told they can increase in value? But one thing is for sure, a boat manufactured over 20yrs ago had a much lower selling price then one manufacture just a couple of yrs ago. So is the $150,000 price tag close to the initial selling price over 20 years ago? How much boat could you buy for $150,000 over 20 years ago?

Cheers all
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Roamer Insurance

I’m no economist, however I have learned one thing... any fool can make money. It takes a sheer genius to hold on to it. :D

Good one - love it!
    NOW about insuring a Roamer - I use: National Marine Underwrites (1-800-BOAT-INSurance) located in Annapolis, MD.
    Very good - paid out claims pronto (once) - and (AND) lowered my premium this year!!
    Highly recommend!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2006