Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander

Helm pump is broken. What is it ?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by Pancho, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Helm pump is broken. What is it ?
    Helm pump is broken/cracked at shaft for steering wheel. When I press on the crack it weeps oil.

I have linked photos of the steering. Hydraulic cylinder/jack at tie rod has Syllen label. Helm pump beneath steering wheel has Syllen/Teleflex label. It does NOT have a removable collar cover with three Philips head screws, which is a characteristic of all Seastars. So what is it ?

I can not determine the model of this helm pump.

If you can help me do that, then I can try to find another housing, seals, etc. to repair this one. Maybe I can find a used one and put a new seal kit in it. I don't know. But I would like to avoid springing for the big bucks if instead I can find a way to repair this one.

If someone can help me ID this thing, then maybe I've got a fighting chance.

Here's a link to photos:
    http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos/FV-Boat-Steering.jpg
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

3. Pancho

Pancho New Member

I've already done that.
    Have been all over the marine site.
    No info.
    Thus this posting.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

My first thought is can you get the cracked parts welded and machined to suit the application?

If the snout is very thin you might be able to get the workshop to chop it off and weld a bit of pipe on that can be machined to suit your needs.

Is there any reason or clues as to why the housing cracked in the first place?
  5. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

OK. But did you happen to call or send them a picture of the pump? As I said, I think it's an old system that they no longer make but them may still have parts for. That might be why there is no current info on their web site.

Teleflex is usually pretty good with service issues.
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"Teleflex is usually pretty good with service issues."

Why not just contact Teleflex, tell them what boat you have and the cylinder specs and they can tell you exactly what you have (or should have) and what the current replacement unit is.

http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/INBOARD/inboard.htm
  7. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Welding ? I have a welder, would have welded it, but part is plastic.

Contact Teleflex ? Did that before posting topic. Thus this posting.
    Send them photo ? Did that before posting topic. Thus this posting.

Have posted so as to elicit real info.
    Hope to get some real info.
    Would like some real info.
    Thanks.
  8. Savasa

Savasa Senior Member

Mr. Poncho,
    Have you considered repairing your plastic piece with epoxy? Grind out the crack, degrease thoroughly and use something like JB weld.
    Peter
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

You want real info?

Is your objective to repair the existing pump or to restore steering on your boat?

If you want to have a pump that works and one you can find parts for if you need them in the future then use the information Teleflex provides and select a pump that drives that cylinder through the number of turns lock to lock that you want.

If money is a problem, find a used one at one of the many boat parts recyclers. It's just a steering pump for heaven's sake ...
  10. Pancho

Pancho New Member

If you can't answer the question, then just don't respond.
    If you don't have any information, don't get mad, just don't respond.
    It's easy. I don't mind not getting responses if no one has info.
    If you have no info, then don't respond. I'm not offended.
    Good grief.
  11. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"If you can't answer the question, then just don't respond."

If you don't like the answer stop asking the same question. If after taking the pump out and looking for a part number or other ID you are still stuck then find a pump that will drive the existing cylinder. Teleflex spec sheets tell you which pump(s) work for which applications. It really is that simple.

Nobody else here can see what is behind the picture you linked so nobody knows who made the pump, much less the part number you are looking for.

I don't think anyone here is "mad" but if you can't give "real info" about what make and model the pump is, and even Teleflex can't ID it then it is really a stretch to hope that someone can give you a part number. It should be obvious by now since it has taken several iterations just to get the point across that the face is plastic, there is a lot of information missing.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Marmot is right. We all have been through it a million times. I'm just being honest, but you're going to spend so much time trying to find an obsolete part that may be in the same condition yours is in and spend good money after bad. And, in the end it will have to be replaced with a new one anyways. Or you can buy a used one and be in the same situation in a year. A seastar helm unit will replace what you've got and drive the steering ram you have and be done with it for $600 or less. You don't fix or rebuild junk.......because you still end up with junk in the end.
  13. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

It could be an Ultraflex, a knock-off Italian Teleflex. Forget it just buy a new one, much less hassle.
  14. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Got a response from Teleflex,
    and also got info from other Chris Craft owners,
    and assorted gear heads.
    Here it is (I paraphrase).
    Helm company was Syten, then Syten/Teleflex, other variations, now Teleflex. Syten made a helm pump up to 1984, labeled Syten/Teleflex (mine). My boat was made in 1985, and 86, only. When Murray Chris Craft took over in the early 80's they added the 337 (aft cabin.), only built the 337 for two model years (1985-86.). No too many of these built--a Genth hull, the 333 series, which later became the Amerosports and disappeared from the lineup in late 80's.Apparently, Chris Craft used some 1984 vitage Syten helms in their 1985 boats. Teleflex says no parts available for these, at all. In 1985 they came out with the Seastar series with a field replaceable front shaft seal (tools: safety pin and philips head, seal 2.97). Teleflex sent me a list of parts necessary to replace my broken relic, with a new Seastar HH5271, Helm pump. Here is list:
    * HH5271, Helm pump, 1 ea (one per steering station)
    * HA5418, Adapter plate, 1 ea (one per steering station)
    * HT5100, nylon tubing, 1 ea (100' cut to fit tube. ONLY REQUIRED IF YOUR CURRENT TUBING IS THE ORIGINAL TUBING FROM THE DAY ONE)
    * HF5520, Cylinder bleed fitting kit, 1 ea

Such is life.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Thats the joy of owning a boat. I mean 25 years of service from a helm pump, I would consider you got your money's worth. You can install the new stuff and not have to change it for another 25 years. There are lots of those teleflex helm units around and you can probably get a great deal on one if you search......maybe even try e-bay.
  16. Pancho

Pancho New Member

That's my plan.
    There's one on ebay for $319,
    just waiting for the likes of me--
    a boater with a credit card.
    But, most importantly, I love my boat.
    I can't get tired of looking at it.