Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Cheoy Lee LRC 66'

Discussion in 'Cheoy Lee Yacht' started by Enrique, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Enrique

Enrique New Member

I would like to share anyone's experience with the Cheoy Lee 66' LRC. Have not found to much information outside the one offered by the yard.
    Thank you
    Enrique
    Caracas-Venezuela
  2. JWY

JWY Senior Member

CL 66 lrc

I am a yacht broker specializing in lrc's and have sold several of these vessels, including attending survey. They are the roomiest, most voluminous motoryacht of its size and they usually offer transAtlantic range as well as comfort. When they are in good condition and have had the flaws corrected, they can have great resale value and offer years of pleasurable cruising and/or liveaboard lifestyle. However, there seems to be flaws inherent to most of them built in the 80's: leaky windows, flexing upper deck, "weak" keels, and a few more. Nothing that $$ can't fix. A survey by a qualified surveyor with CL experience is essential, honest history is real helpful (i.e. beware of CL plaque not matching engine years), and working with an experienced reputable broker is critical, of course ;-)

Lotta happy CL 66 owners out there cruising and not that many for sale.
  3. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

I have captained 3 LRCs

I have captained three Choey Leakies of varying qualities in construction (it is said that with Choey Lee, you get what you pay for). Two of the yachts were of standard construction (one wide body) with one on the west coast, Uhuru, a walk around with an enclosed upper pilothouse. The galley had been moved forward to the original pilot station making the salon HUGE!!!. The upper house had a Portugese walk around, enclosed head, captains berth/dinette with sundeck/boat deck aft. These vessels are poster childs for stablizers, and while they are so slow they cannot get out of their own way (10 knot cruise), they are safe. High freeboard makes for a dry ride but getting on and off of the tender can be a chore. Forget about swim call. I have cruised from San Diego throughout the Mexican Riviera and Caribbean/ Bahamas. John
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  4. Vieira

Vieira New Member

Yacht Builder Question...

Well my name is Ed and I own the Cheoy Lee LRC 66. Yes these boats are roomy, but the boat is falling apart each day! For months ive been asking for help from the factory and from my dealer. They are unwilling to do anything. This is why I post this message here. I was woundering can anyone give me advice.

Ed
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Gentlemen,

I have closed this thread and removed the last few posts. Clearly, a communication problem exisits with the factory and every boat has a few issues (no builder is exempt), but some of the comments made are unsubstantiated and I would like to give Cheoy Lee the benefit of addressing these issues privately. I will send an e-mail to the US office for a reply.

Thanks.
  6. plpmusic

plpmusic New Member

cheoy lee 66 LRC

So, did they get results from CL or what?? forward me the emails between you and CL. I'm also thinking of purchasing a CL 66 LRC