Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko

wintering a 3807 aft cabin twin 454 inboards.

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by pcelmer, Sep 27, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. pcelmer

pcelmer New Member

Does anyone have a good check
    list or procedure for Michigan winters?

Thanks PC
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Drain all water systems and run non-tox anti-freeze through (make a list so you don't miss anything- sinks, toikets, showers, water lines,etc.), fog the motors, open all compartments, turn cushions on end and put plenty of Damp Rids around Tap over all intakes and outflows to keep critters from making a winter home. Take off isinglass and lay flat with cloth between.
  3. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

I have a list in Word. I can send it.
  4. Maybe Knot

Maybe Knot Member

Can you explain this? I googled it, and I'm pretty sure I don't have anything on my boat made from the swim bladder of a sturgeon.
  5. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Really? I know that I'm vertically challenged but you really don't need to pull on my legs so hard! I'm either THE most gullible person on earth, or you're a really bad comedian.
  6. Maybe Knot

Maybe Knot Member

Really! I've never heard that term before in my life. I've had bass boats for 35 years, but I've only had a big boat for maybe 6 months.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Search further:
    What is Isinglass? (with pictures)

Of course today I'd imagine that the isinglass used on boats is chemically produced.

On the rest of my advice, Isinglass is very fragile. It cracks easily when cold which is why I say to lay it flat. It also scratches easily. When I lay it down to store I first polish it with Plexus, then cloth between the panels. BTW, NEVER brush it while cleaning your boat. Treat it like fine furniture. It's easy enough to care for, but expensive to replace.
  8. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Put your beer down and pay attention, Isinglass is a type of the "clear part" you look through that's sewn into your canvas that goes around the Aft (back end of the boat) deck, or the Flybridge(the place where you sit and drive. And keep you spare cooler full of beer.) Isinglass is a semi-rigid (that means kind of stiff) vs. vinyl (softer, yet still see through). Isinglass can become very brittle in low temperatures. Never had to "winterize" a boat before, we use our boats year round. But NYCAP123, among others do it every year, and they are virtual encyclopedias of all things marine (stuff that has to do with boats). So stay tuned, go back through all of the Threads on this site, and you can learn more in a year, than 20 years of actual experience. Oh, and by the way...welcome to YF (Yacht Forums)
  9. seldomdry

seldomdry Member

There is Isinglass and Strataglass. Isinglass is used on most factory tops. There are many Isinglass cleaners listed in West Marine catalog. Stataglass is a costly heavier mill glass that is only cleaned with Stataglss cleaner and polish.
  10. Maybe Knot

Maybe Knot Member

No reason to be a wiseass. It was an honest and straightforward question.
  11. timeout

timeout New Member

From Wikipedia:
    "Thin transparent sheets of mica called "isinglass" were used for peepholes in boilers, lanterns, stoves, and kerosene heaters because they were less likely to shatter than glass when exposed to extreme temperature gradients. Such peepholes were also used in "isinglass curtains" in horse-drawn carriages[8] and early 20th century cars."
    I think this is how the clear plastic windows on boats began to be referred to as isinglass.
  12. NEO56

NEO56 Member

It wasn't a case of being a wise ass, it was an attempt at a little humor...the man upgraded from a bass boat!
  13. Maybe Knot

Maybe Knot Member

Which means exactly what?

My best advice to you...Don't quit your day job just yet. You'll get hungry.

Short people have to eat too.
  14. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

A little vid, regarding Isinglass.

15. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Now who's being a smart ass?
  16. Raymond819

Raymond819 New Member

Would it be possible to receive your list, please. raylaplante1 @ gmail.com
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2021
  17. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Wow, this is an old thread. That was two boats ago. Let me go through my cloud. I come from a long line of sufferers. We rarely throw anything out just in case... I'll get back to you.
  18. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

I've emailed two lists to you.