Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander

Raritan Icer-Ette

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Monepit, Jul 29, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Monepit

Monepit Member

I have a raratan icerette ice maker. It has a bad icemaker tray. It gets cold and freezes but doesn't make ice. I called raratan and they agreed the icemaker need to be replaced. They said the system needs to be evacuated and recharged to replace. I've replaced many ice makers. Fairly easy job. Does this sound right on the raratan unit or is it the same as others?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Raritan, u-line, mom-pop, They all use a tray that is heated just before dumping.
    We hate them all when they fail, leak, dump water on our decks. When they work well, sometimes for many years, we praise the same units.

If it freezes water, replace the whole ice maker assembly. Replacing the switches and goofing around other parts is a waste of time.
    If it does not freeze water, Don't f... fool with it, get a new unit.

Also check this lead and search for many others if you like abuse.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/carver-yacht/22958-u-line-icemaker-problem.html
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

YES, you need to evacuate the system, replace the ice maker mold then re-charge. If you don't the coils all expand and you cannot get the new mold assembly in and you might as well consider the unit ruined. They have a facility in Ft. Laud and NJ you could take the entire unit to and have them fix if you're close to them.
  4. gbarger

gbarger New Member

ice maker

The icer-rette unlike icemakers in home frigs, has a freon charged cold plate mounted to the bottom of the mold. This allows for faster cooling of the mold and faster ice making than if just cooled by the inside temp. If you remove the compression plate which holds the cold plate firmly against the mold while the system is charged, then as Capt J stated the cold plate's coil will expand and will be ruined.
    Jnicholas likes this.
  5. Monepit

Monepit Member

Thanks guys. You saved me a lot of headaches.
  6. Aimhii

Aimhii Member

I'm fixing mine as we speak…..Raritan says if you leave unit ON while you replace the Harvestor or module, no recharging required as the freon will remain within the coils.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You could try that, but mold assembly will be frozen to the side and to the coils and I would really hesitate to do that as I would think you'd most likely damage the coils while trying to pry the mold assembly out.

Let us know if it works.
  8. Monepit

Monepit Member

Did you get your icemaker fixed. How did it work out?
  9. Aimhii

Aimhii Member

I managed to get it fixed…

Now ice drops into Tray, but the ice starts to melt on bottom of tray….at the end of it all, I end up with a almost a solid tray of ice?

Perplexed!
  10. Monepit

Monepit Member

Is it much trouble replacing the ice tray? Is it melting in the ice bin? Not cold enough?
  11. Aimhii

Aimhii Member

Not sure….Fridge is nice and cold….so can't figure out what is going on?
  12. gbarger

gbarger New Member

I am curious also, did you replace the ice mold by running the compressor to keep the freon filled cold plate from expanding?

Did that work for you?
  13. Aimhii

Aimhii Member

Yeah….no problem there
  14. gbarger

gbarger New Member

here are some suggestions to check in regards to your current problem.

Check these:

1. water overflowing into the storage bin then freezing.

The water tube that directs the water into the tray may be slightly out of place allowing water to overflow.

The solenoid valve that allows the water flow is not closing completely, allowing the ice tray to overflow.

There is an adjustment on the front of the maker (under the cover) that controls the amount of water to enter to control the size of the cube. Try to back off this adjustment to limit the water. see or download the manual for the screw to adjust.

2. ice melting and refreezing.

Look for gaps or tears in the door seals

or door not completely closing.

All I can think of right now.
  15. Aimhii

Aimhii Member

Door Seals are good…
    No water leakage….

Not sure where this adjustment screw is…but don't think that is the problem, as soon as I heard the cubes fall down, i opened door and checked what I saw…all looked good, no water and cubes looked normal.

Must be melting a touch and then refreezing, but can't figure out why?
  16. gbarger

gbarger New Member

I do agree, if it was from overflowing, you should see water in the ice bin or at least some water dripping down, immediately after a recycling cycle finishes and ice drops into the bin.

Just put the picture with the screw here and the instructions for others that might be following this thread now or in future.

Turning the set screw clockwise decreases the water fill. 1/2 turn = approx 20cc of water. No more than one full turn in either direction or damage to the module could occur.

Attached Files:

17. Aimhii

Aimhii Member

ok - I saw that screw as I was installing trying to figure out what it does. It doesn't seem to be attached to anything? I thought it was probably there to use as an insert to adjust something?
    Who know…..Its making cubes and no water when ice comes out….Will keep trying to see what I can find?
  18. Aimhii

Aimhii Member

So…..Seems the problem as far as I configure now after playing with it some more is quite simple.

Seems the bottom of the freezer cabinet is slightly indented so the Ice cube tray does not sit flat on the freezer. Thus the first batch of cubes melts slightly until the whole interior cools all the way down and first batch of cubes cools the tray down to freezing from inside the tray, rather than as should be be from the bottom exterior.

I will try to turn the unit on a couple of hours first with the arm up so as no cubes comes in until I confirm a steady cold temp. Then I will lower the arm and see if the cubes keep from melting and the batch can maintain solid cubes thereafter.

Geez….Feel like I am back in High school doing a Science experiment…..
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Thank You for this schematic. One yacht I manage has the raritan mounted sideways (not fore/aft) and sometimes depending on fuel and water load would overflow the mold assembly and create a block of ice cubes. I adjusted the small screw a half turn and it is working perfect now. Thank You.
  20. Monepit

Monepit Member

I ordered one today. I'll try it this weekend. Tired of having to put ice in the icemaker. Thank you for enlightening me on repairing it. I was told you have to drain the freon. After your post I researched and found that's not nessessarly true.