Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno

Carver 36 Aft Cabin

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by subsailor637, Jun 9, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. subsailor637

subsailor637 New Member

Greetings, I just took delivery on a 1990 36 aft cabin (after years of sailing 36-38 ft sailboats) so I have no idea as to what I should expect "fuel burn" rates to be. Can anyone share their experiences such as optimal rpms to run at for best fuel economy (other than idle, tied to pier), is it better to run both engines or cruise on one (twin crusader 454's)? I know the boat isn't meant to "go fast" nor is the design the most efficient, but would like to optimize my consumtion (and still go a little faster than my average of 6 to 6.5 kts with the sailboat). Thanks
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Used to run a 1987 37 aft. Tried to find my papers from when I brought it to Florida, but too many papers ago. I remember that we cruised at about 17kts. and 111 nm brought us real close to running on fumes. Hope that helps. You have to run on both engines. One engine will only get you about 6 kts. and have you working hard for control. Remember those engines are offset. Reversing is all done with gears. You need to use both for it. PS-I had that boat in a 7' following sea. You don't want to be there.
    JTec likes this.
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

I recommend installing Flo-Scans and eliminate the guess work. If you are going do a lot of cruising it would be well worth the cost. At around 2800 RPM I would expect fuel consumption at around 30 GPH. You might find a sweet spot at 2700 or 2900... again, the Flo-Scans would give you instant burn rates.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

FLo-Scans are about $900. A lot of money to spend on a 1990 36 when a short cruise and a little math will do. As I read in Subsailor's other thread, he can find his sweet spot simply by bringing it up on plane, check the speed on his GPS, then play with the tabs. With 1990 Crusaders I'd cruise @ 80% max unless I were pushing time.
  5. Bill L

Bill L New Member

I just took possession of a 1990 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin on Friday and have an interest in the fuel consumption as well. I do plan to eventually add Flo-Scans...maybe later this season. The price is closer to $550 and I think it will be well worth the investment.

One of the reasons I liked the Carver 36 is that it is because it has the dual-mode hull. I've been told that fuel usage at cruising speed (about 16 knots) is about .6 to .7 mpg. If you drop down to hull speed(8-9 knots) the mpg. is going to be around 1.5 mpg. I don't know if this is true or not. Time will tell.

While some may say that if you're running a 36 foot motor yacht, gas usage shouldn't be a concern, I think that if I'm running from Portage to South Haven or Chicago and cut gas consumption in half, I may well slow down and do it.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Flo-scans and smart gauges are an interesting item. In the old days very few bothered with the extra calculation bringing it to mpg. We always talked in terms of gph. Just a tid-bit of useless trivia. At .7 nmpg (be sure to take that extra step to nm or calculate speed in mph) at 16 kts. that's 11.2 gph and at $4 per gal. $44.80 per hour x 8 hour day= $358.40 per day to fuel your boat or $1792 for a 5 day cruise before the wife even visits a gift shop. "While some may say that if you're running a 36 foot motor yacht, gas usage shouldn't be a concern," DK if I'd say "concern", but definitely a consideration. Good luck with the new boats guys. Hope they bring you tons of fun.
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

Um... That would be more like 23 GPH. Now, about the value of those Flo-Scans...:)
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's why we didn't mess with mpg before we had those cute gauges...nor do math as soon as our eyes opened.:eek:
  9. subsailor637

subsailor637 New Member

Thanks for all the input! I understand the concept of GPH but, as an old "sailor" I'm just used to charting all my cruises and calculating in Nautical Miles, so I've always spoken and thought of how many miles I can do in a day! I guess I just need to get my head around how far I can go in an hour!! Seriously, I still plan on using paper charts even though the boat has two chartplotters, a third "GPS" and of course my hand held; so I will still look at MPG (or fraction of a gallon per mile). After looking at all my receipts for fuel (came across Lake Michigan from Charlevoix to Two Rivers then down to Kenosha WI) I believe my best shot at getting close to 1 nm per gallon is going to be cruising around 2500 to 2600 rpm. Even then I think it will be just under 1 nm per gallon. I cruised for 10 hours the first day @ approx 3400 rpm and got about .60 nm per. The second day I tried to maintain around 2500 rpm and got considerably better fuel burn. Mybe if you have a 50 footer you don't care about fuel consumption but at 36 ft it's still a consideration for me. Thanks again for the input and suggestions.
  10. subsailor637

subsailor637 New Member

A/C on Carver

I do have one other question for anyone out there. My 3607 has three zone air and I have tried to contact the previous owner (without success) regarding how long I need to keep the dial at start before moving it over to run. Any suggestions?
  11. RER

RER Senior Member

Move the dial to start, confirm that you have overboard water flow, then switch to run. No water flow, shut it off.
  12. Bill L

Bill L New Member

I received a fairly complete Carver 36 owner's manual with my 1990. If you need copies of anything I have, let me know.

I have the manual for the Marine Air Systems units used in the 3607. It pretty much confirms what RER wrote.
  13. RicF

RicF New Member

On my 3807 in SoCal - if no water flow - shut down and tap lightly on the pumps for each unit - try each again. The pumps are quirky and it's wise to circulate them at least once a week to overcome marine growth as obstruction.
  14. subsailor637

subsailor637 New Member

Bill, (sorry to take so long to reply) Thanks for the offer. I did receive a manual with my purchase, but the one I have contains only basic info. I will let you know if I can use any specific info. Again THANKS
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

When the boss sent me a copy of the manual for his 50 Viking SC I was never so impressed. Pics, color, indexed, best manual I'd ever run across. I wonder why most manufacturers don't understand the importance of a good, complete manual.
  16. pelicanII

pelicanII New Member

Subsailor 637, you still out there? your post was from 2010. I too am a sailboater gone power. In Sept. of 2016 I took delivery of a 36ft aft cabin (still sail my 36 Hunter) Carver. Gonna use it as a summer cottage. Anyway, I have speed and rpm questions and thought you might help. I was told by both the PO and the broker that I should run at about 3000 /3100 rpm. I'd like to know what you have learned about speed and rpm.
    If I drop down to 2500 rpm my sail boat will out run the Carver. I've not been able to find a rpm performance chart for the 454's.
    Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Jack
    PalicanII