Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Mulder

1996 35 ft. cabo

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by sharkmaniac, Feb 9, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sharkmaniac

sharkmaniac New Member

Any prop info on 35 cabo express 1996 era would be appreciated. Ii have 3208 435 h.p. engines and turn wot of 2750. Heard on these motors you should reduce pitch to gain rpm's and get longer engine life. Any help would be appreciated.just bought boat and it has new 22x25 nibral props.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

NUMBER ONE QUESTION OF ALL TIME;
    Is the bottom clean? Not what the broker told you last week but what the diver told you this morning. No diver? yet? Find one and get a report.

Before you start chasing RPM issues, you will need a slick bottom and clean running gear.

Your less than 100 rpm off. A few burs on the wheels and/or a few buttons on the bottom, can loose that in a hurry. 2800 is wot. A medium loaded boat should turn 2825 to 2850 max. Oh, but wait, your tachs verified lately? any engine survey done for your purchase?

While your waiting for the diver to come back up from scrubbing the bottom, contact the factory and verify the wheel size. Send the diver back down to compare the new size stamp on those new wheels.

Don't react to hearing things; Heard on these motors you should reduce pitch to gain rpm's and get longer engine life. Is part true. Governors keep RPM down also. witch requires a no-load rpm test. (Also should be on your engine survey). Over rev RPMs is bad also (another post maybe).
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You forgot fuel filters. Are both the primary and secondary fuel filters clean?
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, I did forgot to mention fuel filters. That would be another top question of all time.
    There could be more, Lets get the filters changed and bottom condition reported on. Maybe some baseline info from your surveys.
  5. sharkmaniac

sharkmaniac New Member

Had the boat and motors totally surveyed 3 weeks ago, bottom clean ,everything questioned in these posts is ok and verified by suveyors instruments. My main concern is overworking the 435 cats. I had read that it is prudent to reduce pitch so as to reduce strain on engs. That is why I had hoped to talk to some present cabo owners. Thanks
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

So, What was the no-load max rpm? You can take pitch out but never realize anything but going slower AND under-loading the mains.
    Un-like your Chevy, you have a governor to work with.
    Did your engine surveyor make any recommendations? Your WOT loaded rpm is very close. IMHO not perfect , but very close.

No, I'm not a Cabo owner, just a fan. Most of us here have been exposed to enough Cats to offer good answers or opinions. Sometimes we may differ but together, were darn close. Before anybody can offer a more correct answer, we need some data, like max un-loaded governor info...
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If the boat is light, meaning no personal gear. The bottom is clean, fuel filters are clean, and the motors are in tune. Have they ever had a tune-up done on them (valves adjusted, fuel nozzles, etc?) Then I would take 2" of pitch out of the props to get an extra 100 rpms......if you're turning 2750 rpms with no personal gear and half fuel etc......It wasn't uncommon to have to take pitch out on the 35' Cabo's after a few years.....
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

J
    If the governors are set to 2800, you can reduce pitch all day and only get 50 RPM and just slow down.

A 18 year old set of Cats have probably had some new fuel pumps installed. Who knows the settings of the governors from Mexico or Buba's rebuild shop. The comments of a recent tune up would include checking this of course. But if it runs good, clean bottom & gear, fresh filters, Then I think where does the governor stop before spending bux on a re-pitch. The numbers should be in the engine survey or go warm them up and check-em. If you find no-load max rpm near 2900 rpm, then take a little pitch out.

On those new wheels, They have a cup?
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, but being that the boat is for sale and has no personal gear and that it is a fishing boat that people typically load up with 5 guys, a bunch of rods, bait, ice, beers/soda's, and hopefully lots of fish.....1" will get him to 2800rpms in the current condition. 2" will get him to 2800 rpms heavily loaded and have slightly lower load factors at cruise and will be easier on the motors and help the 35' get out of the hole (which it needs).
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

He just bought the boat. That's why I was asking for engine survey details.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, but his RPM's and numbers are from the survey and seatrial when he bought it. So I would be safe to assume no personal gear and lightly loaded with fuel..... I've run and been involved with at least 40 different 35' Cabo's over the years. It was not uncommon then that they were slightly overpropped once the tower was put on etc..... Cabo also had to repitch some with the newer C7's during the warranty period as well......Cabo then started accounting for a tuna tower and etc when they propped them from around 2004 on.
  12. RER

RER Senior Member

Been through the same drill with a 35' Cabo flybridge. Pre 2000 hull. Cat 3208 power.

Would not make max rpm and it smoked. Clean fuel, clean filters, rebuilt/recalibrated injector pumps, injectors, turbos ...touched everything.

Boat had the original 375hp spec props - 22 x 25 I think - can't remember.

Considering the years of wear and tear, between hours on the motors and the added equipment onboard, we decided to take 2" of pitch out of the props and the boat ran flawlessly after that.