Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for Delta Click for Burger

Engine Room Door Lock

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by CSkipR, Dec 18, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Does you engine room door lock? The door on my engine room does not lock and wondering why not since all the other panels have locks. Thoughts?
    Its a 43 Cabo.
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I don't believe our boat (I'm not there right now to look) has an exterior way of locking the transom door though it can be secured from the inside. The door leading up to the port side companionway has a key lock from the outside. I think that's fine from both safety and maintenance perspectives.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

you should be able to lock it to the outside, so if your ER access thru the inside of the boat, the main door lock is fine.

i guess i can see a situation where you'd want to lock the door on a boat with unknown guest to make sure they dont' get curious, usually the noise and heat is enough to keep them out, and obviously locking the door means you need to make sure the key is handy in case of an emergency.

I prefer to rely on an ER cam to make sure no guest get in there, which is mentioned as an off limit area in the safety briefing.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Wouldn't want that door locked underway and those locks a near useless agaiinst break-ins.
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Agree I wouldn't want the door locked underway although wish I could lock it to prevent someone from entering when I'm not at boat. As you say if someone really wants to get in they are going to but still wish it had a lock like the cockpit cabin door.
    On my boat you only have one entrance to the engine room and that is from the cockpit. I hate thinking about someone rummaging around the engine room. Lots of ways to make a real mess.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Unless someone is trying to sabotage you it's your bridge that trouble will head for. The only one going to your engine room is your mechanic or your neighbor to borrow a tool. P.S. You can probably have a lock installed for about $100.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Or someone that could possibly be saving your boat from sinking or fire!
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Very good point. Thinking about it, the only boat I can remember working with a lock on the engine room was a 51 Bertram. When I'd get to the boat I'd slip the lock with my leatherman to do my engine room checks while waiting for the owners to show up. They never caught the hint that they should either give me a key or leave it unlocked.
    BTW, the other compartments are lockable because you could have a couple of Penn reels or such there. Nobody's going to steal an oil filter.;)
  9. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Repo man hits the engine room first;) Anyone who's gonna steal the boat knows all he same things repo man does.