Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Westport

Cabo Wet Ride?

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by ThirdHatt, Jun 16, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThirdHatt

ThirdHatt Senior Member

I am in search of opinions on Cabo 31 and 35's. I am considering buying a 31 or possibly 35 but some well-respected industry professionals tell me that the Cabo ride is very wet and that Cabo's are somewhat over-rated in the marketplace.

I understand that the hull on the 35 was improved for 2001 resulting in a somewhat drier ride but the only improvement in the 31 hull was to remove the strakes leaving a smooth bottom. People that have actually owned 31's and 35's all seem to love them and I have yet to hear of an actual owner who complained about anything and many are repeat buyers.

For some history, I am currently coming out of an Ocean Master CC with twin inboard diesels and I just love the 1-inch thick (20 layers of fiberglass) hull and the heavy feel of the boat as it handles nearly any seas fairly easily. I would like to get a similar boat but with a nice cabin to go from a day boat to more of an overnight/weekender. I do not want or need a tower because the boat is used more for cruising and diving than fishing.

I have looked at many boats in the 30-something range and keep coming back to Cabo. Now, about the wet ride. I don't quite understand what the big deal is because ANY boat can be a wet ride depending on the wind and waves, so the hull design is only one of the factors. Also, the helm areas are all enclosed by eisenglass so how much does it really matter because either way you still have to wash the boat when you get back to the dock!

Any and all thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated!
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 31 is very wet and pounds and was Cabo's first hull. The 35' is acres ahead and is a fairly good ride like a 7 out of 10, but not great. It pounds a little and is wet at times in the express, the FB is better but not phenominal. Cabo does build a wonderful boat, everything is overbuilt when it comes to hull strength, wiring, fuel system, plushness, factory support etc. The newer 32' is what I would go with and has a nice ride and so forth.

I've run a lot of different expresses, the one with by far and wide the best and dryest ride would be the 35' Carolina Classic. It is a lot less plush and more of a fish boat, but excellent, excellent ride and factory support.
  3. ThirdHatt

ThirdHatt Senior Member

Capt J, thank you for your response. One question for you: How is the 31 Cabo's first hull when it did not come out until 1996 yet the 35's were produced for 5 years or so before?

I know the 32 is a newer hull design but those boats cannot be bought under $200k like the 31's and early 35's, so they are above the price target for our "little" boat.

Carolina Classic's are nice looking as are their almost twin the Albemarle, but the Cabo's do seem a bit more plush with better wiring and an overall better reputation for build quality. Considering we will not fish it but merely cruise and a bit of diving, hard-core fishability is not a big concern for our uses.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Capt J, thank you for your response. One question for you: How is the 31 Cabo's first hull when it did not come out until 1996 yet the 35's were produced for 5 years or so before?

I know the 32 is a newer hull design but those boats cannot be bought under $200k like the 31's and early 35's, so they are above the price target for our "little" boat.

Carolina Classic's are nice looking as are their almost twin the Albemarle, but the Cabo's do seem a bit more plush with better wiring and an overall better reputation for build quality. Considering we will not fish it but merely cruise and a bit of diving, hard-core fishability is not a big concern for our uses.[/QUOTE]

I was told by the factory that the 31' was the first they built then the 35 came a few years later. This I don't know. I do know that I would go with an updated hulled 35' over a 31 anyday as well as an earlier 35. They updated the hull to make it ride better and drier. I delivered a 35' from Ft. Laud to Belize, as well as other 35's long range as well. I would rate the ride on a newer hulled 35' Cabo a 7-7.5 out of 10. The only Cabo's I have not run in the entire lineup are the New 36 and 42, and the 31.

Needless to say, the Carolina Classics are built very well and have good wiring. I ran a 35' Carolina Classic from Pensacola, FL to Falmouth, MASS. We took the ocean almost the entire time and ran at cruise the entire time in the ocean. It was a very very impressive ride. We had a few small issues pop up on the boat such as worn out throttle cable and a few others, the boat was 6 years old and the factory still sent the owner any parts he needed for FREE. Anyways the ride on the Carolina classic is a solid 10 for a 35 foot express.
  5. ThirdHatt

ThirdHatt Senior Member

No problem, I appreciate your thoughts. I know that the production for 31's is 1996-2004 and the 35's were built several years earlier, so you may simply have the numbers backwards or the person on the phone had the numbers backwards. I know that most Cabo employees left several years ago when Brunswick bought them, so those that are really "in the know" at the factory about what happened in the 1990's are long gone.

Check Yachtworld and you'll see that of the many, many 31's there are none before 1996 but yet many 35's listed going back to the early 1990's.

I have read many experiences from people such as yourself with vast experience with many boats including Cabo's, but what I would really like is some Cabo owners to pipe up and give their experiences. So many Cabo owners are repeat buyers that I have to assume they like the boats overall and how they ride.

What say you Cabo owners, anyone care to expand?

THANK YOU in advance for any opinions!
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

7. ThirdHatt

ThirdHatt Senior Member

Capt J, there's no need to take offense! I have thanked you kindly for your opinion and noted that it is greatly appreciated and indeed vast, but please understand that it is just that, ONE opinion. I don't doubt that you have run many, many miles on many DIFFERENT Cabo's, but there are many actual owners out there that have put thousands of hours and many thousands of miles on ONE Cabo and that, to me, is very significant and what I am really looking for. Those people will obviously have an excellent overall feel for what their particular configuration does in many different situations. Surely you can respect that the experiences of a delivery captain will be quite different from the experiences of actual owners. I will be an owner, so I will of course be very interested in what owners have to say. Can you not see that there are others out there that know Cabo's well too?

Sorry to point it out again, but the 35 was in production for several years before the 31, so on at least that one (major) point your info was incorrect and has now been clarified. No big deal, but this is why we have internet forums, to compile MANY different opinions and therefore form an educated opinion from many others' experiences. I have noticed that you are the main person to respond to any Cabo questions here on YF and that is wonderful, but again yours is just one person's opinion and I simply hope that there is more input to come.

Thanks again for your responses and info, and now that you have given what you have to offer this thread, I will politely await responses from others.
  8. maritime

maritime New Member

Thirdhatt,

I own an 03 35 Cabo which is the updated hull. She has Cat 3126B's at 450hp and a 4 step tuna tower.

She is a very well built boat which inspires a sense of confidence out on the water when things get snotty. The systems are, as was previously stated, overbuilt. I run my boat long distances out to the Canyons hunting for tuna, so a 225NM day is really what I bought her for, and is the norm for my usage.

In big seas, she does tend to pound a bit in an ahead sea. She really shines is in a big following sea. She handles this far better than I ever expected her to.

With that being said, she is a bit of a wet boat. I have an EZ2CY enclosure, so it is not a big deal, however can be a bit of a frustration to have the wipers on in 80 degree weather running in 2 foot seas if the wind is right.

My biggest complaint would be the noise level at cruising speed. I realize that this is to be expected on Express style boats, however she seems to be louder than many of her competitors.

All in all, I give her high praise, but then again, my last boat was a 31 Fountain CC with 225 outboards...
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Maritime, thanks for your reply and sorry, but this thread seems to be staged by the previous posters and is now locked for further comments.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.