Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker

WTB 3/8"galv anchor chain

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by CSkipR, Apr 18, 2014.

1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Looking for approximately 100 ft of 3/8" galv anchor chain to purchase. Located in Fl. Please email or pm me if you have some for sale.
    Thanks,
    Skip
  2. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    I have good experience with 1st Chain Supply 800-523-2367 plus they offer shipping at very reasonable fees.

(I have no connection with them)
  3. rmjranch

rmjranch Member

Chain

Try Rope Inc. in Ft Lauderdale, 954-525-6575. Just bought 600 feet of chain from them. I have the old chain, but it is 1/2". Very satisfied with them and not affiliated in any way. Just going to sell the old chain in one of the used marine supply places.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You cannot just buy any old chain and put it on your windlass.... You need to check the drum and verify what style of chain you have. I'm pretty sure Cabo's windlasses used G 4 chain.
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Thanks that is correct.
  6. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

Why is chain used on the anchor? I've always used 3/4" line with about 6' of chain for a 50' boat. Is it for larger boats, rocks or just stronger?
  7. lovinlifenc

lovinlifenc Member

A Windlass, which raises and lowers the anchor by pressing a button, is designed to accommodate specific chain size and design. Using chain for anchor tackle has many advantages, aside from strength. I prefer it for anchoring because of the weight of the chain. Of course, chain doesn't stretch like nylon, but a properly designed snubber fixes that. You should have a snubber, regardless, because your windlass is not designed to carry much of a load beyond the weight of the anchor tackle itself, if even that.

I have a story that illustrates this perfectly. A few years back I heard someone hailing some help over the VHF. We were close-by and went to assist. It turns out that the guy had put out all 150ft of his chain (to untwist it). The water was over 200ft deep, so his anchor was dangling at at the end of the chain and he was about to let the chain go when we arrived.

His windlass, though spec'd for the size of chain, could not lift all 150ft with the anchor. We were able to get the chain back in the locker with two strong backs assisting the windlass.
  8. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

If your anchoring most of the time in a lake that should be fine for daytime anchoring although for night time anchoring not what I would use. Definitely not enough chain to ride out a sudden storm. The chain serves different purposes but mainly it assists in setting the anchor. A 6ft chain on your size boat is definitely under the recommended length.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

This happens more than you would realise, I always add to new build specs the line that the anchor windlass must lift all ground tackle and if the water is not deep enough it must be simulated by weights.

For the question about the chain. It is the chain that holds you as much as the anchor , heavy ground tackle is cheap insurance.
  10. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

That's all I have ever seen on the boats in our area. It's held up fine in the Gulf of Mexico and St. Thomas. Not saying it's right, I've just never seen a bunch of chain used. We don't have any rocks to speak of, mainly mud and sand. There's not a lake in Lake Jackson, we're on the gulf about 45 miles south of Houston.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well, recommended scope for chain is 3x the depth, recommended scope for rope is 7x the water depth (I and many like to use more than that if overnighting 4x with chain, 10x with rope is common. Chain will really assist on holding power. I like a combo on your size boat of like 150' chain with 400' rode behind it......shallow water you're using all chain but if you want to anchor in 150' water temporarily you're covered......and too much weight is an issue in that size vessel....