Click for MotorCheck
Click for Pacific Mariner
Click for Ferretti
Click for Cape Scott
Click for Lurssen
Click for McConaghy
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > Boat Shows & Yacht Watching > Virtual Web Cruise up the East Coast

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Virtual Web Cruise up the East Coast

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Virtual Web Cruise up the East Coast

I'm taking a 2003 Johnson 70 from Miami to Nantucket and I took my HelmCam along. We're running the ditch, currently in Charleston, a leisurely delivery with the owner and guests

teh webcam refreshes every 10 seconds and the ATT connection has been pretty reliable so far.

the webcam page is located at
http://www.sandbarhopper.com/webcam.html

I also have a GPS hooked up with live tracking on Google Earth or Maps, the KML file is updated every minute. http://www.sandbarhopper.com/helmcam.kml
open it in Google earth or paste it in the search box of Google Maps.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Publisher/Admin

How cool is this! Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your travels Pascal!!
YachtForums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing with us.
Seafarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

I believe I've been in your exact spot at the City docks (and many others). After doing this trip about 2 dozen times I describe it as long, boring and beautiful interspersed with moments of sheer terror. DK that I'll be watching that much, but I'll certainly be popping in. Put your site into my favorites.
Tried to convince my boss to winter his boat in Charleston or Great Bridge this year to no avail so I put him on to your site as well. Maybe he'll see why I want him to experience the trip.
Is there any way you can alert us to your cruising plans as you go along. Some may not want to be staring at your neighbor if you're hanging in one spot for a few days (unless of course you have a really nice neighbor ), but there are some spots I'd definitely want to tune in for. For instance, I'll guess your next stop will be Georgetown. I'd enjoy watching as you cross the harbor, then pick you back up towards mid-afternoon. I'd also like to see if, like me, you end up someplace other than your planned destination as often as not.
Anyway, I think what you're doing is a great idea. I'll PM you my e-mail address in case you're able to send alerts of your cruising plans.
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

we've been stuck here at Charleston City Dock, just got a nasty cell passing south with a confirmed tornado across the river. 25 to 35kt all day, pinned to the dock watching fenders getting squeezed real hard!

hopefully tomorrow will be better, initially we were planning on stopping in Georgetown but if we can get an early start, we'll continue on to Myrtle Beach.

I dont' send email alerts, we shoudl be on the move everyday...

This link to Google Maps usually shows you our position right in your browser instead of Google Earth

http://tinyurl.com/58kosr

There are some real GORGEOUS boats here... right in front of us is a 100+ footer with classic lines and canoe stern named Tranquility. and a few more....
Old 05-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Just looked in on Pascal. He's making 6.4kts and just passed a trawler and is about to pass a sail (wonder if they'll tell him he's going too fast ). Looks like he's got a beautiful day for cruising.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
YF Wisdom Dept.

Thumbs up

Hey Pascal!
Great trip. I'm surrounded by a few weeks worth of catchup paperwork and every time I'm ready to reach for the shredder I just look up and enjoy your ride.
Thanks!
Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well Pascal, you know how to build suspense. Looked in just after 1635.37 when the camera froze with a view from you vessel (looked like near Bucksville) looking like you could be aground, then nothing. Your Google Maps tracking stopped working at just about the same time. Hope all OK. At least it's an area where you can't get into too much trouble, but I'll be checking in and keeping a good thought.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
YF Wisdom Dept.

NYCAP123

I think you might have missed the frames just before he stopped. The 2 lovelies skinnydipping......
Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

And there's no replay on this. No, I just flip on occassionally in between work. Does anyone know has he put in at Bucksport/Bucksville (forget the name) or just turned off the camera? The time changes, but not the picture.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
AMG
YF Moderator

Seems to be a beautiful day out there...
Attached Images
AMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Don't ya just love watching the sun rise over the water while transporting?
DK what's with Google. That's technology for you. It looked like the top end of Myrtle Beach when I looked in about a half hour ago. I'd guess next stop Beauford or Oriental.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

The webcam is up as is google maps. Looks like Pascal will be doing Topsail for the night. It was definately a pretty day for a cruise although a whole day at 10 kts on the ICW is rough when you know you've got a bunch of hungry horses waiting to run.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

we stopped at Osprey Marina last night, just south of Myrtle... best diesel price i could find at 3.88. Small is an understatement.... our bow was sticking out 30' off the fuel dock but very frienldy staff.

took it real slow today, trying to get to Shalotte and Lockswood folly on a rising tide but it was fine... plenty of water, the ICW isn't as bad as some make it seem.

Tonight we're at Harbor Village Marina in Topsail, nice little place as well!

everything is going very well, I am impressed by that Johnson...
Old 05-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hey Pascal,
Good to see your post and everything working again. You had me wondering last night with the view left on the cam and no google. I'm sure you know this, but check to see if Camp Lejuene is having gunnery practice tomorrow. They close down the ICW for it. Are you figuring on Coinjock tomorrow? Glad to see the fuel prices. Good for everyone needing to estimate. Tell your boss to enjoy the Carolinas. Up here it's about $4.65 so far and moving up fast.