Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Virtual Web Cruise up the East Coast

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by Pascal, May 11, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I'm taking a 2003 Johnson 70 from Miami to Nantucket and I took my HelmCam along. We're running the ditch, currently in Charleston, a leisurely delivery with the owner and guests

teh webcam refreshes every 10 seconds and the ATT connection has been pretty reliable so far.

the webcam page is located at
    http://www.sandbarhopper.com/webcam.html

I also have a GPS hooked up with live tracking on Google Earth or Maps, the KML file is updated every minute. http://www.sandbarhopper.com/helmcam.kml
    open it in Google earth or paste it in the search box of Google Maps.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

How cool is this! Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your travels Pascal!!
  3. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing with us. :)
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I believe I've been in your exact spot at the City docks (and many others). After doing this trip about 2 dozen times I describe it as long, boring and beautiful interspersed with moments of sheer terror. DK that I'll be watching that much, but I'll certainly be popping in. Put your site into my favorites.
    Tried to convince my boss to winter his boat in Charleston or Great Bridge this year to no avail so I put him on to your site as well. Maybe he'll see why I want him to experience the trip.
    Is there any way you can alert us to your cruising plans as you go along. Some may not want to be staring at your neighbor if you're hanging in one spot for a few days (unless of course you have a really nice neighbor:D ), but there are some spots I'd definitely want to tune in for. For instance, I'll guess your next stop will be Georgetown. I'd enjoy watching as you cross the harbor, then pick you back up towards mid-afternoon. I'd also like to see if, like me, you end up someplace other than your planned destination as often as not.:D
    Anyway, I think what you're doing is a great idea. I'll PM you my e-mail address in case you're able to send alerts of your cruising plans.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

we've been stuck here at Charleston City Dock, just got a nasty cell passing south with a confirmed tornado across the river. 25 to 35kt all day, pinned to the dock watching fenders getting squeezed real hard!

hopefully tomorrow will be better, initially we were planning on stopping in Georgetown but if we can get an early start, we'll continue on to Myrtle Beach.

I dont' send email alerts, we shoudl be on the move everyday...

This link to Google Maps usually shows you our position right in your browser instead of Google Earth

http://tinyurl.com/58kosr

There are some real GORGEOUS boats here... right in front of us is a 100+ footer with classic lines and canoe stern named Tranquility. and a few more....
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just looked in on Pascal. He's making 6.4kts and just passed a trawler and is about to pass a sail (wonder if they'll tell him he's going too fast:D ). Looks like he's got a beautiful day for cruising.
  7. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Hey Pascal!
    Great trip. I'm surrounded by a few weeks worth of catchup paperwork and every time I'm ready to reach for the shredder I just look up and enjoy your ride.
    Thanks!
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Well Pascal, you know how to build suspense. Looked in just after 1635.37 when the camera froze with a view from you vessel (looked like near Bucksville) looking like you could be aground, then nothing. Your Google Maps tracking stopped working at just about the same time. Hope all OK. At least it's an area where you can't get into too much trouble, but I'll be checking in and keeping a good thought.
  9. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

NYCAP123

I think you might have missed the frames just before he stopped. The 2 lovelies skinnydipping......
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

And there's no replay on this.:( No, I just flip on occassionally in between work. Does anyone know has he put in at Bucksport/Bucksville (forget the name) or just turned off the camera? The time changes, but not the picture.
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Seems to be a beautiful day out there...

Attached Files:

12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't ya just love watching the sun rise over the water while transporting?
    DK what's with Google. That's technology for you. It looked like the top end of Myrtle Beach when I looked in about a half hour ago. I'd guess next stop Beauford or Oriental.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The webcam is up as is google maps. Looks like Pascal will be doing Topsail for the night. It was definately a pretty day for a cruise although a whole day at 10 kts on the ICW is rough when you know you've got a bunch of hungry horses waiting to run.:cool:
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

we stopped at Osprey Marina last night, just south of Myrtle... best diesel price i could find at 3.88. Small is an understatement.... our bow was sticking out 30' off the fuel dock but very frienldy staff.

took it real slow today, trying to get to Shalotte and Lockswood folly on a rising tide but it was fine... plenty of water, the ICW isn't as bad as some make it seem.

Tonight we're at Harbor Village Marina in Topsail, nice little place as well!

everything is going very well, I am impressed by that Johnson...
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Hey Pascal,
    Good to see your post and everything working again. You had me wondering last night with the view left on the cam and no google. I'm sure you know this, but check to see if Camp Lejuene is having gunnery practice tomorrow. They close down the ICW for it. Are you figuring on Coinjock tomorrow? Glad to see the fuel prices. Good for everyone needing to estimate. Tell your boss to enjoy the Carolinas. Up here it's about $4.65 so far and moving up fast.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Hey Pascal,
    You've been running some long days. So much for a relaxed cruise eh. Looks like your bowed in at U's. I assume your heading to the outside from here. Inside it's a little skinny for that boat. Outside it's a little large right now. Swell 3.0' every 7.7 sec., wind wave 3.3' every 5.9 sec. Tomorrow seas 3-5. Not too bad close to shore though (west wind). Check the forecast at 44025 on dial-a buoy. PM me if you need any #'s or local info.
    Ed
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Pascal,
    Just took a closer look @ Google. you're at RBY. How is it there? I usually go to CC.
  18. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

I managed to get a couple of "Progress Screen Shots" from today:

Attached Files:

19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't think this was a great day. It was running a steep 5'-6', but it looks like they stayed within about 2 miles of shore. With the wind from the west (25-30kts) that should have held them down. Coming up the sound tomorrow should be a welcome relief (light winds on the stern).
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

it wasn't bad today, we stayed close to shore, very little fetch. later on it build to 20/25 and after Sandy Hook into Ambrose channel things got interesting as the waves weren't big, 3 footers, but short and steep!

but entering NY Harbor is very special, you just feel the history of the harbor. We had the Enterprise on port after the bridge and then the statue of course, elis island, etc... we were lucky that the sun was out and the light was perfect!

we are at The North Cove for the night, going to take it easy for the next few days after too many 12 to 15 hours days... leaving around mid day tomorrow heading into the LIS. We're going to anchor out and get to Newport on Wed. I need to do a few things on the boat before the final leg to Nantucket on Sat.

the view as we head out tomorrow up the east river should be nice...

we're only one day behind schedule, which isn't bad with almost no mechanical issues. So far the only glitch has been a leaky strainer today on the stbd genset (POS strainer with only 2 rods) and a fuel leak on day one (top sight gauge hose came off and valve was open).