Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Westport

Flibs For Common Folks

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by cliffandjudiw, Nov 18, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. cliffandjudiw

cliffandjudiw New Member

My wife and I have thought many times of going to the show at least once to experience it.
    Our questions is, as just blue collar people what would b e the chances of acutually getting on and seeing the large boats. We have seen some here in Seattle such as the westports which have been very gracious when at our shows, and a Christenson. Many however are appointment only which is understandable but we wouldn't want to travel that far only to be turned away.
    Also,where would b e the best place to stay location and pricewise,
    Any advice would be appreciated

thanks
    cliff and Judi
  2. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Cliff & Judi:
    The absolute best time to get onboard upper-end boats is on the last day of the show (Monday) when it is a ghost town.
    It likely would not hurt if you wear some nice duds and quietly mention that you represent some foreign nationals from a major oil-exporting country.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

..... :D

My vote for best post of the day!

Seriously... if you really want to get onboard a boat, even when you don't have the means, you'd be surprised how far an enthusiastic and honest request would go. Your chances are much better if you don't pretend to be something you're not. And as Loren suggested, the last day of the show is your best bet.

That said... it's sometimes difficult for those of us in the media to get onboard certain boats too. We have to respect the enormous effort, time and money these builders put into a boat show. The truth is... they are there to sell boats and their time is spread pretty thin. They must divide their attention among past & present customers, as well as people in the biz... and fake it till you make it types.

Out of respect for this, I only ask to tour a boat on the last day of the show (typically a Monday), when builders or their reps have time to go over the details we will later write about.
  4. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Add my vote, got a big laugh out of that. Will try to remember it the next time I'm at the gas station .... :(

Kelly
  5. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

CLiff,
    Whatever you do, don't even think of getting on during the first day (Thursday). That day is for brokers, preferably ones that are bringing potential buyers, and many times owners are lurking around. Ships and crew are usually on their best behavior and looking sharp, or making final adjustments. Just way to busy, even for some of us media-wanna-be's.
  6. I am going to have to find out which boat Loren will be working on to sell during the Miami Boat Show, coming up next February. Then when some people come up to me, and tell me that they represent some foreign nationals from a major oil producing country, I can send them right over to Loren!!!

Actually the last day is always slower for the brokers on board and you have a better chance of getting on board.

Tucker Fallon