Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn

Cruising Destinations

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by Qocean, Apr 27, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Qocean

Qocean New Member

Ok, summer is coming and I thought it would be a good topic to discuss where you plan on going for the summer. Where do you spend you time? Any good recommendations for places to hit? Also, what type of boat are you own, or running to you destination. I have been stuck at college for half the year, and can not wait to get back to the water.

Great site to get some really good information. Nice job with the new look.
  2. Qocean

Qocean New Member

I am from Bar Harbor Maine, and spend most of the summer there, and some time further south, New England mostly. Great places for Mount Desert Island is Northeast Harbor, Southwest Harbor, Seal Harbor, Bass Harbor, Swans Island and Somes Sound.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This is really a good thread...

I don't want to make "light" of this question, because I'm truly interested in learning about the cruising destinations of other members. But somehow, I think I'm going to be living vicariously through your exploits this summer... as I'll be cruising the keyboard for the most part.

One destination I had in mind won't be with the "mother ship", but rather to put the YachtForums dinghy on a trailer and hit the highway. I'd like to cruise the inland waterways of Florida's westcoast, starting around the Ft. Meyers area and working my way north to the St. Petersburgh/Clearwater area. Some seriously pristine boating along these waters and an opportunity to look at some seriously expensive real estate.

Man, when I see what's occured with the prices of waterfront homes... I feel like I'm on welfare!! :(

Sooo... come on guys. Upload some pics of your destinations and tell us about the water your exploring.
  4. John B

John B Senior Member

Well plans for this summer...

May/June - Cold Spring Harbor NY, Essex CT, Port Jefferson NY, Block Island NY,
    Manhattan, Mystic CT

July/August (warmer!!) - Newport RI, Cape Cod Bay area, Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket, Watch Hill RI, maybe east end of LI, Cold Spring harbor and Port Jefferson

Will spend two weeks on boat in August and will be around Nantucket, Cap Cod bay, Watch Hill, Port Jeff during that time.

Already started reserving slips and getting friends/family booked for trips.

I'll see if I can't snap some pics and post for some of these places.
  5. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Maine for the summer

Qocean:

I will be in your neck of the woods from late May til mid October... I love the waters in Maine!
  6. Qocean

Qocean New Member

Yeah?

Maine is really nice in the summer. What kind of boat are you on up here?

There are only a few really nice yachts that come into Bar Harbor’s docks for a few days (power). I think that the grand total of cruise ships this season is up to 70, including the new Queen E. Nothing like 2000+ people dumped on the streets of Bar Harbor in one afternoon.

One of the nicest power yachts around here is in Northeast Harbor is called Sun Song (70-85 feet? classic look).

Other then that. There are a lot of great destination along the coast.
  7. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

Qocean, I am resurching the Maine Coast was Born in Aroostook and am looking to write about the state, and its waterways. Have you sailed around Bath? I am surprised that more of the 50+ meter yachts are not in Bar Harbor.

As for a place to go, why not east Port or Calis, realy great, not a lot of marinas but away from people.;)
  8. Heather_Rae

Heather_Rae New Member

We have a 42' Jefferson from 1989. We are going to get married in the Keys aboard our boat in June. =-) I will post pictures. I am going to have flowers on the rails, etc and a Just Married sign on the back and will even trail some cans behind if I can find a way to do that. LOL.

Other than that, I think we are going to hit the Bahamas. I'm not sure where else we will go.

We are going to build a new house in two years and travel the world while the house is being built.
  9. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Wishing you both much happiness and lots of adventure as you embark on this "Journey of Life" together!
    Arnie
    :)
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Now this is a true boating couple! Glad to have you aboard. :)
  11. Heather_Rae

Heather_Rae New Member

Thanks guys! =-)
  12. Brian

Brian Senior Member

This thread hasn't been activated for a while.
    I know this was started with an Eastern flavour but I'm on the West coast.
    We're planning to go into nothern Georgia Strait and Desolation Sound, but we are hearing that it gets busy in the summer.
    How busy does it get?
    Based out of Halfmoon Bay, we have cruised around Thormanby and Jeddediah islands without too many others around and not sure if Desolation Sound would be too crowded for our liking.
    Anyone out there have any quiet out of the way places they could suggest?