Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning

London Boat Show anyone?

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by CCJJ, Jan 23, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CCJJ

CCJJ New Member

Can't find any comments on the recent London Boat Show, did anyone from here pay a visit?
    I found it a bit disappointing myself and would like to hear from anyone who could make some comparisons with other recent shows.
  2. mr_sunseeker

mr_sunseeker New Member

I didn't bother. Nothing to interest me this season, wheras the last few years saw the Predator 82, Azimut 68s Princess 65 and some other new mid range models, now it's the smaller units in the ranges that are being updated. The next exciting UK yacht will be the Predator 92 which has a sport low profile flybridge! :)

Perhaps we can discuss what we think of the shows a little here? I've been twice to the London one. Southampton once. Monaco show twice.

I'm thinking of Genoa next because it's the Italians like Azimut 62s and Riva 68, Pershing and Ferretti that excite me. I'm also interested to have a look at the Florida show and would love to see the all-American go-fast boats like Cigarette there.

The most exciting show so far is Monaco... had the pleasure of seeing WALLY 118, PERSHING 115, Azimut 105, Seeker 105, Maltese Falcon and loads of other innovative stunning yachts there.

Anyone else's show reviews/opinions?
  3. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Cigarette always has a strong presence at FLIBS. Donzi and Wellcraft's Scarab line are also present along with a few challengers to the throne, flexing their muscles. But, the testosterone is depleting in offshore performance arenas. Sales of Go-Fast boats have been slowing for quite some time. In their wake is the waterborne equivalent of the SUV... center consoles. In many cases, darn near as fast as some of the performance boats. Why? Not sure. Maybe fish are swimming faster these days? :rolleyes:

Cigarette still holds great market appeal. The purchase and turn around of the company a few years ago has been nothing short of sensational. The boats are lighter, faster and use more advanced designs & equipment. Kudo's to the new crew.

My old friend Craig Barrie was the former owner of Cigarette. He currently builds Dragon Powerboats. I encouraged him to move Cig's hulls out of the stone ages many times, but times were lean, he got off course and the business ran aground. Fortunately, the name held great value and the current owners capitalized on this, turning Cigarette into a brand, not just a boat.

If you come to the Florida shows, you WILL see performance boats. But mostly, you will see lurkers at their displays. The posters are signing contracts on center consoles. ;)
  4. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Well, that would explain the explosion in the number of exotic center console builders! Seems like anything less that 3 x 300hp outboards no longer counts.

slow Kelly