Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service

Port Question?

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by mp-willow, Aug 27, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

I am trying to develop a trip for a stroy I am working on. I am interested in any opinions of these Ports:
    Lisbon, Portugal; Bacilona and Siville Spain; and Genoa, Italy.

I can gess most of you will say they may not be the most talked about places and that is why partly I am asking.

If you wopuld like to know that the Yacht would be like, it is, I am thinking, 82m LOA and 20m beam with a 5m draft. It has a heli and water tenders.

Any help with these ports would be greatful.;)
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I agree, it should rather be 14 m wide with a 4 m draft if it is not a cat or a sailing boat....
  4. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

Thanks for your help. Is it to wide? I was thinking about it that is was a good match. If I were to keep it at 82m long and 14-16 m beam what would you think of that? I am after a Yacht that can be a world cruiser, range of 5,000nm, I think it can be with this size) and have a heli, for S-76 type.

Please let me know what you think of this?

Also If you have any other questions ask.:)
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Why would you particularly want to run an S 76 onboard?
  6. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

To operate an S-76 off the yacht would allow me to get from ship to shore or reverse and to travel the area. It would be operating in New England, and North East Canada, also off Greenland. So having this ability I think would be good. I could also fly from my Yacht inland to summer home,

The added bonous of charter appeal.

I have been looking at even bigger amphibians like S-61 but much harder to get and needs lots of structure. But I do love to land on the watter, to do fresh water fishing in a remote, Northern Maine Lake.

I hope all that help.:cool:
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am getting confused here.

Are you actually asking for information here to build and operate a boat or is it for something fictional that you are writing?
  8. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

Sorry for the confusion. This is a study, and fact finding mission. I am not, at this time, able to commision the Yacht, but would like to have more information as I am trying to understand Yachts.

:rolleyes:
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.

I don't think you will find an Amphibious S76 or S61.

I am pretty sure you will not find a "heavy" helicopter that will land on water, there are a huge number of issues that make water landing of rotarywinged aircraft difficult, one of the biggies is the injestion of large amounts of salt water into the turbines this causes a disruption to airflow and loss of power, engine failure.

I used to work for the late Mr Bernie Little the owner of the Miss Budweiser Unlimited Hydroplane boat. I know that he spent a lot of time, money and effort trying to stop this happenning for the few salt water events they attended each season.
  10. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

Thanks. I know you realize that the S-61 was designed and built for the water. That said, yes maintanance would be higher, then salt water landing would be low, as most water operations would be to freshwater for fishing and hiking.

Thanks for the help. I just have a fond affection for things that land on water, fixed wing or rotery.;)