Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Abeking

Passages to BVI's

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by MYCaptainChris, Mar 29, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

Whats you preference, north or south of Pt Rico?
  2. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

Chris,
    From Ft. Lauderdale, I usually go to the Bahamas, (most trips the boss will visit in Bahamas for a week usually dropping him off at Atlantis before we head south), take a day or so for the crew to relax and wait for a weather window at Staniel Cay. Then depart through Conch Cut, and head south to the east end of Puerto Rico. Most of the time this leg is non-stop so we will put into Puerto del Rey in Puerto Rico for fuel (fuel is usually much less expensive in PR than BVI's). From PR it is a short run to Tortola or Virgin Gorda.

If the boss doesn't visit then it's east from Ft. Lauderdale, north of Paradise Island, down the outside of the Bahamas to the east tip of Puerto Rico. Stop and fuel in Puerto del Rey and onto BVI's or St. Maartin.

Good luck,
    Dave
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Hail Mary

Chris,
    This time of the year the weather is generally appropriate to throw a "Hail Mary" pass from hole in the wall (north end of Eleuthra) and head straight for Tortola. The seas should be quartering and light for most of the trip. The only bail-out point for this trip would be the Turks and Caicos, but you will find that very accomdating. The downside to this strategy is that you probably won't have Sat. TV for a good portion of the trip.:)
    Safe travels.
  4. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

sat TV

We didn't have sat TV anyway!!!

I did the same passage as I've always done staying in the open atlantic all the way and as ever (maybe done it 12-15 times) it was a good journey. But on the trip back in may I'm thinking of taking a different route. Maybe see some of the south of P.R. and maybe even Dom Rep and cuba.

Weather is great here in Gorda, heading to Sint Maarten next week.