Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Yachts in France

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by mp-willow, Mar 25, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

Ok a newbie Question, I had a wild Idea while reading some history to take a yacht up the Seine river to Paris. The idea, to be able to sail open ocean and the river, in a moter Yacht, any thoughts on this? Is is just a crazy dream?

I have read a little and should be able to get a nice ocean going Yacht, say 30 -5- meters, up the river ;)
  2. TRY

TRY Senior Member

Prepare well!

Hi,
    Before deciding on cruising the french canals from the Med (from Marseille via the Rhône river to start) you should first google the french canal and river system.
    Length should not be a problem, beam and airdraft is much more important since some bridges on secondary canals tend to be quite low.
  3. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

thanks, I am working on my resurch now. Also, I am interested in the Seine, from Paris to the Atlantic:rolleyes:
  4. Leveller

Leveller Senior Member

Hi mp-willow,

it is an interesting adventure you are dreaming off. I've done it a few times from Germany to Marseilles mostly on transferring small yachts till 45 feet, for which it is not so easy to go round and enter the med thru the Gibraltar Strait.

As TRY said I don't see any problems for Rhone and Seine but the canals between are really narrow, in all directions. The french canal system in the Center was built mostly more than 200 years ago and is today used in most cases from tourists with "plastic Boats" in the 30 feet range.

On the Canels between Paris and Lyon I expect near to 250 locks, some bridges must opened by hand. Some pics could be found under:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_de_Bourgogne

http://www.burgundy-canal.com/

Restrictions for boats travelling the burgundy-canal which is the best connection between the Seine and the Saone which will guide you to the Rhone are:

lengt overall: 38,50 m
    beam of boat: 5,05 m
    height above water: 3,20 m
    keel dept: 1,80 m
    Opening Times: from sunrise till dawn, lock opening times can vary
    Speed limit: 6 km/h
    calculated time for the 242 km: 7 to 8 days

If all this doesn't match with your yacht it is possible to hire one which will fit with the measurements or you can book a cabin on an hotelbarge.

Leveller
  5. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

Leveller, thanks, that is a lot to take in. I will need to do more reading, and look into where I could keep a large Ocean going Yacht while a smaller tender will have to do. That mark for hight above water is short. And 250 locks, crazy, but the trip would be worth it I think. ;)

It is a different and I think less torest congested way to see Europe, well untill I would get into a city.