Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay

Whats the situation with Cuba

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by MYCaptainChris, Feb 13, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

I know where it is, but what is the story behind when you can and can't go.
    As a british flagged vessel I don't see how the USA can dictate one way or the other...... but then again!!!???

I'm currently in Ft Lauderdale and as far as I know there is no problem with me heading to Cuba, however I'm told that I have to stop in another port before I can enter the US. Is that correct?

Is Cuba really worth visiting or is it a little on the risky side taking a 111ft yacht down there? Maybe head straight past and go to the BVI's?

Chris
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Chris,
    Cuba is an interesting stop, but definitely has drawbacks. When I went, it seemed that everyone was trying to scam me for something or another. The scenery is great and the old cars make you feel like you've stepped into a time warp.
    You can go there any time you like, but you are technically not allowed to spend any US dollars there. That being said, brings lots of cash! They happily accept it (as a matter of fact, it is the standard currency). They will also accept credit cards from non-US banks (i.e. Canada, UK).
    You will defintitely want to stop somewhere else before returning to the US.
    Plan on a lengthy time at the Customs dock upon arrival and make sure that you are willing to offer "donations" for the families of every one of the dozen people that are required to clear you into the country.
    Be sure to leave Havana or you'll have missed the best the country has to offer.
    If you see Lady Jenn around, ask her captain for some advice as he's been there many times.
    PS- You are not allowed to bring any poultry products into the country so you might want to keep that in mind. The eggs that you get there aren't all that great so e left a few in the fridge for them to confiscate in order to keep them from looking for more in the bilges and under bunks.
  3. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Havana is Great

In old town, I like to hang out at La Mina, a sidewalk cafe where they have a 5 piece accoustic group playing while you sip mojitos. Also, make the Floridana a stop. Tuxedo'd waiters, red velvet wall covering, an elegance you wouldn;t expect in an impoverished country; this place is famous for their daquaris and was on of Hemingway's favorites. You can get a 72 hour transire gratis (free) though expect the usual mordida from the officials.
  4. mariog

mariog New Member

the best that Cuba has to offer is really not much at all. unless of course you enjoy the sights and sounds a backwards, poor, third world country has to offer.
  5. buckknekkid

buckknekkid New Member

the idea is to speak Spanish, dress down and after a while you become part of Havana. We took over 300 pictures last month , most within the city

Attached Files:

6. buckknekkid

buckknekkid New Member

beautiful old architecture

Attached Files:

7. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

Don't forget to take a tour of the Fort at the entrance of Havanna harbor. The old city is great and Veradero has a nice marina and beautiful beaches.

Dave
  8. buckknekkid

buckknekkid New Member

Like this? that isnt a statue of me leaning on the bar, its Ernie

Attached Files:

9. Carl Guzman

Carl Guzman New Member

Cuba

Is there any other port to enter besides Hemmingway?
  10. buckknekkid

buckknekkid New Member

winters coming

I have a gazillion airmiles and the wife says Varadero