Click for Walker Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Octopus and Tatoosh

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by psdo, Dec 23, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. psdo

psdo Senior Member

Not much going on the site these days so I thought I would at least give you a little tid bit of info.

My cousin in St.Maarten tells me that all the BIG boys are cruising in right now. Ecstasea arrived earlier this week. Octopus and Tatoosh arrived today. He says in all his years that there have never been so many yachts in St.Maarten.
    I think I might have to delay next years trip till the week of New Years and head over to St.Barts for the big night.
    I'm begging him to send some pics, so I will post if I get them.
  2. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

Octopus on BBC

Hi,
    i just watched a documentary about the british arc royal with 5 veterans, made on board of the Octopus; dont remember any coverage from onboard her, so, very nice!
  3. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Hi there tantetruus, don't suppose you can recall the name of the show?
  4. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

sure

Shipwreck Ark Royal
    Sun 12 Feb, 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm 60mins

The Ark Royal was sunk by a German torpedo in WWII and lost for over 60 years. After three years of searching, the aircraft carrier has been found and veterans who served on her will be the first to see the wreck a kilometre below the surface of the Mediterranean. They recall the events that led to the Ark achieving legendary status - the deadly convoys to Malta, and the sinking of the Bismarck when planes from Ark Royal crippled the German battleship.
  5. Ben

Ben Senior Member

My highly resourceful brother has been able to get a copy of Shipwreck Ark Royal for me and it does indeed include inside footage of Octopus.
    No real details about the yacht are given, she is just introduced as "the Octopus" and that's it.
    You get to see footage from the bridge, footage of the ROV being lowered into the water (this documentary was filmed before they moved the ROV bay up a level, and it's clear to see why they did), footage from the ROV control room, the dinning room, the lounge type room that is behind the windows just below the bridge, and a few misc' shots looking at Octopus.

I can report that her ROV is fantastic. at one point they find a camera film unraveled on the ocean floor that happens to be standing on it's edge, so you can see through it. They edge the ROV up to the film and zoom in to show an extraordinarily clear picture of the film, that I have no doubt would have show exactly what was on it, had it not been exposed to the sea. All this 1000 meters below the surface.

Bad news? It's 700 meg, so I won't be emailing it to anyone.

Does antone know if I can get "screen shots" off WMP?
  6. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

Was Octopus designed with doing this type of Exploration? Was Allen infolled with funding the surch or just let them use his nice big Yacht? ;)
  7. Ben

Ben Senior Member

As far as the show goes, Octopus could have been just another exploration vessel. They don't mention that she's a yacht, there aren't even thanks to PA in the credits.

Non-yachtspotters wouldn't have known a thing.
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Ben, do you have Limewire? Or what about Yahoo Messenger? Files can be transfered pretty good either way... user-to-user through Yahoo, or in general with Limewire.
  9. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Slight off topic post...

Alas, I only have 28k'ish actual upload speed, so, 28k into 700 meg......

The actual footage of Octopus isn't that revealing, as the show is still about the Ark Royal, but still interesting enough as most of will never get to see inside.

Sorry:eek:
  10. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

Ben, thanks for the help. It is sad that they would not even have it in the credits. The way that Octopus gets around it is not like the Yacht is a big surprise. :confused: