Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Hebridean Island, Scotland

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by islandgirl2311, Sep 3, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. islandgirl2311

islandgirl2311 New Member

Hi everyone.

Just looking for some advice really. Have recently moved to the Island of Coll, Inner Hebrides, Scotland where many yachts visit us over the summer. My home has a small chalet which I would like to convert into something useful for those dropping anchor in the bay and coming ashore.

I'd be more than grateful to receive advice on what amenities you look for/need when visiting an island. eg, washing machine/shower/hot water/
    take away food? small cafe? trinket shop? what exactly do you find useful when visiting an island??

Your thoughts and advice on this would be extremely useful and anyone visiting the hebrides, Scotland, please call in at Taigh Solas, opposite the Post office.

Many thanks.

islandgirl2311@aol.com
  2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

islandgirl2311, first of all, welcome to YachtForums :)

What you are talking about is essentially a commercial task. On some of the more strict message board sites this would be considered "spam". And criticised as such, if not censored. But in your case I think that your topic could generate a useful discussion for all concerned. So I earnestly hope that this thread will be allowed to grow.

Just felt the need to get my 2 cents in, carry on everbody :)

Kelly Cook
  3. islandgirl2311

islandgirl2311 New Member

ooops! dreadfully sorry

Hi, sorry for my "spam"

Just trying to be helpful to those sailors who turn up bedraggled and weary on the Island of Coll, only to find that the one shop is closed and there's nowhere to wash or buy provisions. Who said it was commercial? In Scotland, we are naturally friendly and helpful, just trying to turn something useless into something useful!
  4. techmati

techmati Senior Member

how is this considered spam. she has not even set up her business yet.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  5. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I would not object to it either. But I have seen this happen on other sites. Sorry I wasn't clear about my own view.

Kelly
  6. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I'd venture to say islandgirl was pretty safe in asking her question. It wasn't really spam at all, and the admins here are pretty strict in keeping true spam out, so we're all safe.
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are right Kevin, commercial spam is deleted a s a p...

But ever since I first saw "Local Hero", one of my favorite movies with the poetic music from Mark Knopfler, I have been thinking of going to these remote and beautiful places myself one day.

Islandgirl, I would love if you could post some pictures, from the chalet, the view, whatever that describes what is waiting the visitors! :)
  8. tartanski

tartanski Member

Ahoyy

Hi Island Girl,
    OK I'll try to give soem usefull feddback this time.

As you proabaly can guess Small yachts usually have different needs from larger yachts:

Here is a lsst of what I'd be looking for arriving on the more typical type of yachts that visit Coll.

Clean Toilet
    Hot Shower
    Place to Shave
    Beer to drink
    Washing machine and dryer
    Internet access
    Information of Local area (good anchorages, places to visit etc)
    Weather information
    Sale of basic provisions, Milk, Sugar, Bread, Batteries, Socks, Toilet paper :)

I'm guessing that those with larger yachts will not need the First 3 on the list and the washing machine.

Cheers