Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Comfort Click for Burger Click for Westport

Palm Beach Boat Show

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by vivariva, Mar 31, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. vivariva

vivariva Senior Member

Hello everyone,

Sorry if I missed any updates in the forum, but I couldn't locate a thread on this subject.

Was there anything new worth mentioning at the Palm Beach Boat Show? How was the general atmosphere compared to 2008? Sales volume?

Any observations are welcome. Thank you very much.

Vivariva
  2. boblucas

boblucas New Member

Palm Beach Boat Show 2009

I thought the 2009 Palm Beach Boat Show was excellent. There was a tremendous turn out, some real buyers, and some very motivated sellers.

I didn't attend Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, but my colleagues who did attend the other shows felt that Palm Beach was the best.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I hear the same thing from a good sized used yacht brokerage that said it was the best show they've seen in years when it comes to buyers and sellers and just interested people.
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I think the turn-out seemed higher because the 2009 PB show was consolidated into the downtown, Flagler location. The convention center and the Rybo location went missing. I was at the show on Thursday & Friday and the turn-out was slightly less than year's past. I understand Saturday was good, but have not heard about Sunday. Rain was forecast for Sunday, so that may have put a damper on the turn-out.

This year, the city of Palm Beach (or maybe it was Show Management?) put in a large dock, near show center, running perpendicular to Flagler. It was adorned with plants and seating, creating a boardwalk effect. Very nice!

One thing's for sure... there were some seriously good deals on brokerage boats. I was ready to make an offer with money I don't have and couldn't qualify for!
  5. boblucas

boblucas New Member

2009 Palm Beach Boat Show

The Palm Beach Show started without the convention center. I'm sure that the smaller boats and businesses that displayed at the Convention Center passed on the Show because of the results in Miami.

However, our brokerage display which was less than half of previous years saw some very good activity with several of the brokerage boats having accepted offers by show's end.

The Thursday and Friday crowds were, to me, better than I've ever seen in Palm Beach, and word is that Saturday broke a record.

Believe me, I haven't been Mr. optimistic since August of '07, but this Show got my blood flowing again and I've been in the business for 27 years.
    Bob Lucas
  6. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

The show was okay. Hope the sellers had eager buyers.
    Now, not sure what this young lady was selling, nor did I care. By the looks of it she was practicing "safe" boat show.

Attached Files:

7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Why do I get the feeling that she finished the show having heard every possible lame version of 'Can I polish your isinglass' she could stand.:D
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Probably, and she probably didn't even know what eisinglass was!!!!!!
  9. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

Thinking of putting my 106 Westship in the 2010 show. Miami show looked real slow, Any one got a feeling how this show will go?
  10. YachtForums

My crystal ball is cracked, but if I had to chose ONE show as my personal favorite, hands down... the Palm Beach Show. It's easy to get to. Even easier to park. It's a nice size show with reasonable crowds, but remains an intimate venue.

Most importantly, IMO, it's where the money has moved. Growing up in Lauderdale, I've seen too many with means migrate north. Of course, the real money was always in Palm Beach, i.e. the Island. And let's not forget Jupiter Island a few miles north and all the NY wealth that has infested the Palm Beach Gardens area. This PB show will also pull from Boca, with its equal concentration of wealth.

Downtown Flagler underwent a renovation this year, which will only add to the Palm Beach Show's appeal. If you factor in pent-up buying pressure along with the brokerage community buzz of cash buyers looking for good deals, I'd roll the dice depending on slip price.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but IMO shows such as Lauderdale and Miami have gained a rep for being too big and too difficult to access, however the spectacle factor still remains an enticing draw. Historically, both of these shows had a huge international pull, but in recent years the Internet has provided much of the information buyers seek, leaving these shows more local in nature. Attendance in recent years would reflect the same. It's not just a bad economy stifling these shows.

If boat shows are becoming more regional in nature due to the net, then the Palm Beach Show could well be one of the most affluent. While I'm still out on a limb, I would speculate the future of these shows will be more focused in nature, much like Passagemaker's Trawlerfest, where the majority of boats and suppliers are geared toward a specific sector. Anyone attending this year's PM Fest at Bahia Mar would certainly agree, where serious, like-minded and studious people swarmed. Of course, this is typical of the trawler community.

Sorry, I'm rambling. In answer to your question... I think the Palm Beach Show will have a better turn out than Collins. Still, if you're really serious about selling, then the largest, best attended boat show is probably right here on YF?
  11. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

Thanks, I will put it in the show. Wish me luck
  12. ayachtguy

ayachtguy Senior Member

Absolutely agree with Carl. FLIBS and MIA are too big, too hard to see, unless you just want a spectacle. Palm Beach is a perfect venue, good timing coming off Miami, and draws a high demographic crowd. Carl, you're spot on.
  13. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Hope you're right Carl! I'm putting two boats in the show, I'll report back.
  14. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

Shazam My 106 Westship will be in the show. So if you have a extra buyer send them up to buy my boat :D
  15. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

Any body at the start of the PB show today??
  16. YachtForums

I was there. Typical Thursday at the PB Show. Very slow. Mostly media making the rounds. If the rain holds off, Friday will be much better and the weekend should be slammed.
  17. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Friday morning started with some pounding rains then clearing which ushered in some signature Florida heat and humidity before cooling off around show closing.
    Due to the "liquid sunshine" in the AM, we started in the tent, checking out some of the vendors and their interesting wares.

They had dock cleats that light at night...

Attached Files:

18. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

...and helm seats and leaning posts that keep you upright.

Attached Files:

19. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Hammer Stahl had instruments that could cut with might...

Attached Files:

20. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

...and not far away, you could handily control helo flight.

Attached Files: