Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko

How to remove Bertram fiberglass fuel tanks

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by joegartner, Jun 30, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. joegartner

joegartner New Member

Just purchased a 1968 Bahia Mar and want to remove the old polyester fuel tank. Any suggestions on the best way to remove the tank without doing any damage to the keel or stringers.
    thanks
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A 4" grinder with a cutoff wheel, probably but very messy. Is it not possible to take the top off and seal them from the inside so they're ethanol proof, such as grinding them and then a couple of layers of new glass and resin that ethanol doesn't eat?
    Kafue likes this.
  3. joegartner

joegartner New Member

thanks, I realize that I can cut this tank out in pieces. I have cut the front of the tank and then used block and levers to try and lift the tank out--to no avail.
    this sucker is either epoxyed in on the bottom or a very good bonding was used to hold it to the keel.
    thanks for your reply.
  4. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the tank was bedded in 6-8 big blobs of thickened resin. You may get it to pop loose with some low angle wedges to drive between the tank and the hull.
  5. Ed Gaudette

Ed Gaudette New Member

Ed G.

I have a 68 Bahia Mar and that's how I removed the tank. Use a wedge little by little staying under the middle of the tank right above the center board or keel support. You'll here it start to separate because it's glassed to a piece of plywood which is glassed to the bottom of the hull, which you will see when you get it removed. It's a 20 ft. Bertram.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

ouch. Prying and tearing. Please be safe and insure all the gas is gone.
    Hit up on the kids in Marathon FL (New Bertram Original and Replacement Yacht Parts - Rub Rails, Bertram parts, Struts, Rudders, Burgees, Gear, Bertram Mechanical Parts for All Bertram Yachts, Bertram Electrical P). I would hate it if an inside laminate came up with your prying. Hopefully you're buying the replacement tank from them anyway.

I am not related to them at all, just a Bert fan and they have helped many of us stubborn Bert owners.
  7. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

drain off all the gas and dispose of it properly.

I would then make sure there is no residual gasoline or fumes in the tank.

I am not sure how to safely do to this other than fill it with water and remove the remaining gas from the top, then drain the water.

I think I would want some inert gas in the tank before I started using power tools or anything that could cause a spark.

Would dry ice in the tank work to displace the oxygen?

It only takes a small amount of gas fumes to be explosive and very dangerous.
    too much, or too little air or gas and it wont explode, but Once the fuel air mixture is right and there is an ignition source, Ka-boom!

There was a major boat yard fire in ny a few years ago. The yard caused a spark removing a gas tank igniting the fumes. I think the crew was also severely burned or killed.
  8. Ed Gaudette

Ed Gaudette New Member

No, it definitely works and is the only way you will get it out. I just met another Bertram owner at the Boat Show and he did the very same thing.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Is it possible to just cut the top off and use the existing tank as a mold for a new one, right inside of the boat, OR a place to set a just slightly smaller aluminum tank inside of?
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Or, Nicely cut the top off, Reline the original tank with the better resin (alcohol resistive) and glass in another top. IMO the original tanks were too small to begin with.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, but it depends on the power. If it has modern 4 stroke outboards then you have much better fuel economy and range.......you could always put a 2nd tank somewhere else. But, I think it would be easy to use the origional tank as a mold and just put a few more layers of glass in it with the right resin.