Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Westport

1982 Bertram 46 HIN

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Hkalan, Sep 3, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Hkalan

Hkalan Member

Hello,

I have been looking at a 1982 Bertram 46 foot. I was with the owner today, and we were looking on the starboard transom but unable to find the HIN.

Perhaps I am not looking in the right place, but I have read it should be above the waterline... Hmmm

Anyone push me to the proper location, and where else do the stamp the hull ?

Thanks,

Alan
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Starboard side, right underneath the rubrail on the transom, sometimes I've also seen them right underneath the rubrail on the stbd hull side. Many times on boats that old, they get filled in when the boat has gotten painted.....etc.....
  3. Hkalan

Hkalan Member

Hello,

Thanks so much. I thought I was in the general vicinity LOL.

Would you know where they hide them inside the vessel ?

Tool apart the v-birth thinking maybe there, but nothing apparent ! The Engine room has everything so tightly packed with kit, that I really need to know an exact location to focus on.

I received a reply from Bertram while typing this. The say to also look at the "Inboard Stringer Outboard Side".

Would that mean the centre stringers between the engines where the shafts exit the vessel ? That is covered by the metal rails for the engine mount rails. The Seacocks are there as well... Hmmm

Thanks,

Alan
  4. Hkalan

Hkalan Member

Hello,

Had a peek around the girl this morning. It is a 46.6 Bertram Motor Yacht model from the states, but the previous owners there had extended the hull. I believe that is why I can't find the HIN on the aft transom.

The current owner let me take the vessel out for a test run... It is a bit windy and a steady rain all morning.

Once outside the typhoon shelter walls, she did not care about what was in front of her. Big or small, she dug her nose into a few swells and let the Gods know she has her rightful place on the water... What a pleasure to guide on the waters !!!

This one has me hooked !!! She is a thirsty one with the two 550 Detroit's in her belly, but well worth the 20 knots she was maintaining with no problem !!

Now to search the inside hull for the HIN... Any ideas ???

Alan
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Can you take a picture of the transom?
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

If it was a USCG documented vessel at one time (as it appears it may have been) and the official number is still in the bilge somewhere - black numbers, probably six digits, approx 4" high - check the USCG data base using that number. They would most likely still have vessel details on file including the HIN.
  7. Hkalan

Hkalan Member

Hello,

I will check the bilges tomorrow. The owner has given me the "thumbs up" to keep searching for the HIN !

It has been sitting for a year, and the neighbouring vessel owner (another Bertram) starts the engines ones a week.

Although she has not been properly bathed for a long time, you can see in the picture below how they extended the hull. The boat next to it is identical but without the hull extension.

She just needs the TLC she deserves !

Alan

Attached Files:

8. Hkalan

Hkalan Member

Hello,

Here is a picture the owner sent me tonight. It is a year ago. It shows a better angle of the extended hull, and why I can't find the HIN on the transom.

Alan

Attached Files:

9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The top step down to the cockpit is covering the hin. Does that step open?
    Were on a 58' and our number is stb / transom, 1 inch under the gunnel 8 inches from the stb hull side.
    Your rub rail comes low and I wonder if that is still the mold cap. look under those steps just below where your old transom rub rail used to be.
    I have never found any other hin location on our 58.
  10. Hkalan

Hkalan Member

Hello,

There is a door on the side of the steps... I popped my head inside but did not see any numbers... I will definitely look again now that you gave me a more exact area to inspect !!!

Thank you so much !

Alan
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  11. Hkalan

Hkalan Member

Hello,

rcrapps... you are a STAR !!!!

I found a 6 digit code stamped into the hull. Exactly where you said.

It was behind the diesel fill hose that is for the new 1,200L diesel tank that was installed in the hull extension !

Thank you so much !

Alan
  12. Hkalan

Hkalan Member

Hello,

I was too excited, too soon....

It is 12 digit, and I only have 6... Grrrrr

Back I go to search more !

Alan
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Just found your post. Just when I was thinking 6? 6? digits, Then I read your next post.

What were the 6 digits? I have 12 then dash then 3 digits?
    Scratch around, it may have glass or paint over the rest of the digits.
    Or, what other numbers would be under there?????

Do any part of these numbers match a previous hin number recorded?

It's a boat. Always full of surprises, some not all good.

,rc
  14. Hkalan

Hkalan Member

Hello,

The very visible ones were... 30M82B

I will be going back after lunch...

I am still trying to understand their meaning for the second HIN location of "in the engine room in the inboard stringer outboard side"

Any words of wisdom are much appreciated. SMILE

Alan
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Inboard stringer starboard side maybe?

BTW, that is the hin number; hull 30, year model '82.
    your missing characters would be BERR00.

BERR0030M82B.

,rc
  16. Hkalan

Hkalan Member

Hello,

I just returned from another inspection... The other numbers are covered by rather thick fiberglass mat to the right of the visual numbers, and a thin layer of fiberglass and paint to the left of the visual numbers.

If I understand your meaning of the missing numbers, then I could perhaps start lightly sanding down on the left to maybe get the missing 6 numbers. Once the paint is off, and I keep wet maybe see...

You may be on to something here... Starboard, not outboard !!!

I'll give that a go as well !!!

Thanks !!

Alan
  17. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Him

Look in the chain locker, sometimes to starboard or above the door:confused:
  18. Hkalan

Hkalan Member

Hello,

Good to know !

I am going to know this vessel inside-and-out just by searching for the HIN !!

Thanks, I will check in the morning and update !

Alan
  19. Hkalan

Hkalan Member

Hello

Tried to sand off the fiberglass that I thought was covering the first 6 numbers I can't see.... Wrong !!! That part is all new fiberglass, so those have been long gone.

I looked in the chain locker... Nothing in there.

Been using my iPhone to take pictures of the starboard stringer under the engine. So far no luck. I will go buy a small mirror tomorrow to see if that will assist in seeing the HIN that Bretram says should be there.

I can't believe how hard this is to find a HIN... Wished they put it in a bilge. That would be so convenient !!!

Alan
  20. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Hun

Have you gone through all of the paper work inboard, the Bertram owners book, warranty cards for OE, invoices for work done. Do you know of any past names of the vessel. Was it ever USCG documented, if so go to their web site to look up the HIN. Is there a 6 digit number in large lettering which could be an old doc. #. Good luck.