Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service

1987 42 Bertram Bilge Alarm Can not shut off.

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Jet Stream, May 10, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jet Stream

Jet Stream New Member

The high water bilge alarm can only be silenced by turning off the the aft bilge pump circuit breaker. I have cut the wire to the aft high water alarm float switch (took it out of the system) with no help. Any suggestions as to where I should look next would be appreciated.
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Are your feet wet?
  3. Jet Stream

Jet Stream New Member

That is the problem the bilge is dry as a bone but the alarm is keeping everyone awake. The only way to shut it off is with the aft bilge pump circuit breaker:eek:
  4. timvail

timvail Senior Member

Could be a short in the pump, experienced that issue once in a belt driven jabsco
    Pump.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Well if it s a high water alarm, there should be no pump in the circuit,

If the switch is ok and out of the picture then something is closing the look between the alarm panel and the switch. Check for a short in the wiring, especially at connection, terminal blocks etc.
  6. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

Do you have your wiring diagrams? It's possible that those bilge high water alarms take a trip through the alarm circuit boards (I believe part of the Fire Alarm board). On my Bertram 54, those are located behind the steps that go from the salon down to the staterooms.

On my boat, the bilge alarms now bypass the circuit board and give me a light only at the helm. I installed a separate USS Safety Switch audible bilge alarm up on the helm for engine room high water.

These circuit boards can be serviced. The guy who designed the boards can service them. He can be reached at ... Enrique - enrique@yacht-elec.com 786-295-0673.

Do all of your engine alarms (light and audible) work? If not, it will be a similar process of understanding the circuit boards and looking at the wiring schematic. One of my boards had to be rebuilt by Enrique. There are little resistors on the board that fail ... are cheap (in cost) and available from Danny at High Tide Marine.
  7. Jet Stream

Jet Stream New Member

Bayside Bert28 Thanks for information It looks like we are on the right path to solving the problem. It sure looks like the high water alarm goes through a circuit board. Not only does the alarm bell ring in the cabin and on the bridge the fire light in the cabin comes on along with the bilge pump light on the bridge. The engine alarms work.

Yes I do have original wiring diagrams but it does not give much detail (only shows a resister in line). It does not give the location of the alarm circuit boards.

If anyone knows the location of the alarm circuit board on a 1988 42 Bertram it would be much appreciated.
  8. Ormond Bert54

View attachment 59195 Isn't it behind the step that goes down to the staterooms? There should be 3 boards .. Port Engine Alarm Board, Starboard Engine Alarm Board and Fire/Bilge Alarm Board. You can start by seeing if anything is burnt or fuses burnt out ... If the board is burnt it needs service. You can pull those little resistors and trade them with what is NOT working to see if its the resistor. They should all be the same type of resistor.

Attached Files:

9. Jet Stream

Jet Stream New Member

It looks the 42 may have a different system. According the wiring diagram the circuit box for the alarm system is on the bridge, I did find the box pictured below under the helm station console. It looks like someone has just wired it in and not a factory installation. I am not able to locate any resistors to switch as suggested. On the fuse board in the aft of the engine room there is a fuse marked alarm and it is OK. Any suggestion as to where to go next would be appreciated.:confused:

Attached Files:

10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It is possible that you system uses normally closed switches and this one has failed by cutting the wires as you posted earlier you have just repeated the opening of the circuit as the switch would and your alarm keeps ringing.

Have you tried joining the wires together where you cut them - the ends that go to the boat not the switch?
  11. Ormond Bert54

OK - The photo is helpful. There should still be a "relay box" somewhere so trace where those wires go and look for the relay box. That box should have a few fuses and a relay/resistor for each of the lights. The block you have shown pictured also exists on my boat but that block on my boat is located on the ceiling of the engine room.

So, there is no box located behind the steps on the way down to the staterooms?
  12. Jet Stream

Jet Stream New Member

On the 42 Bertram the stairs are fixed and engine access is through a hatch in the main salon. There is nothing under the stairs except a little storage. I talked to Danny at High Tide he is supposed to get back to me as to the location of the alarm relay box on the 42.

In the mean time I have removed one wire at a time from the box in the picture from my previous post. When I removed the wire from the FIRE terminal the alarm stopped and everything is working normal. This is leading me to believe it is faulty fire alarm sensor or short causing the problem.. Not sure what a fire alarm sensor on a Bertram looks like, a picture of one would be helpful. Thanks.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm not sure what Bertram used. But many times I've seen a flat pancake looking thing, that is 4-6" across 3/4-1" thick and usually red, and usually mounted to the engine room ceiling.
  14. Maderia

Maderia New Member

Bilge Alarm

You have two high water switches. Rear and forward. Try removing each of the two switch wires at the alarm box, as shown above and which ever one stops the alarm trace that wire. Bertram writes a wire number on each of the circuits. Or cut each wire one at a time at each of the high water alarm switches. It going to be something simple, eg like a switch failed closed.
  15. Maderia

Maderia New Member

Bilge Alarm

In the alarm control box, as shown above, are a few diodes check to see if any one of them have failed or come in contact with another junction.