Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Delta

2001 Bertram 510

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by vasiliosg, Mar 4, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. vasiliosg

vasiliosg New Member

Sorry 2001

Hi All

First post so Gday to all.

I have lurked for many years but only quite recently joined, and enjoy reading many of the threads here daily.

I have been looking at a 2001 Bertram 51 with Man 1050's for sale here in Perth and i have made some assumptions in general I would like for the experienced people to chime in if i have it wrong.

About 300 liters an hour at 1950 rpm

Good sea keeping , and not much rock at rest

Motors prob 20k for 2000 hour and 5k annual servicing

Manufacture year still in a period that was relatively hassle free for the company

I am a Bertram fan but being cautious.

Kind Regards
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. franzmerenda

franzmerenda Senior Member

A friend of mine owns an 05' with same engines.
    We cruised on his boat last summer.

Your assumption about consumption :D is correct.
    The best speed/RPM/fuel ratio on this boat seems to be 1800/1850 RPMs with some 23.5-24.5 knots (clean hull), means 200/220 liters per hour. Those 100 RPMs are not worth the speed against fuel burn.

Sea keeping: she's a tank; just some station wagon effect in cockpit, particularly if you have a cockpit sunshade.

Costs: pretty close the seasonal service, would have to add some 10K on a 2000hrs range. Huge of electronic control units very expensives. As far as Mans: Very good engines but also big smokers.

Still trying to make me liking the shape of the boat from bow to deckhouse.

franz
  3. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

So if I do the most basic maths, and having owned the "latest" MANS in a 48 UNIESSE (which I sold before the MAN warranty expired) it seems to me that the savings on fuel are ABSOLUTELY negated by the maintenance costs on the latest technology engines?
    Not to mention the lack of support which is a big issue for owners who use their boats for cruising to ports that are not within the city hubs.
    Did we not choose DEISEL engines for their longevity and low maintenance costs?
    Seems to me that the manufacturers have worked out a great way to keep the cash flow positive by UP selling the community a high cost maintenance engine when the original ethos was precisely the opposite.
  4. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Kaufe,

good point

RT 46
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I used to run a 51 Bert, and believe it was a 2001 or 2002. Fuel burn at cruise (26 kts.) was about 85gph. Did Not Like the boat.
    1) We had a vibration in the stbd motor that we couldn't get rid of despite several realignments and mechanics checking. That could be just this boat however.
    2) I found it's seakeeping lousy. In a 5' head sea she slammed so much that the owner was injured and it had us down to 10 kts. At rest she was a seasick machine. rocked like hell in a 3' sea.
    3) we had glass problems all over. Lots of stress cracks on the deck and bridge.

I used to run a 46 from the 1980's. Now that was a tank. Had that out in well over 10' angry seas and felt completely secure.
  6. vasiliosg

vasiliosg New Member

Hi guys

thanks Franz

Kafue yes its a concern trying to get accurate engine records to see if any problems, in discussions with Seapower here in Perth and they seemed "reasonable" however talk is cheap.

NYCAP its a worry about sea keeping and behaviour at rest , bearing in mind that i currently own a beautiful B28 , so a little bit of rock and roll at rest im used to.

Boated for long time always get queasy when on anchor its a curse !

Thanks very much for responses so far people appreciate it.

Just for the record it is a US Bertram not OZ

Bas
  7. ScrumpyVixen

ScrumpyVixen Member

Nice 28.

Mercruisers or yanmars?

28's have their issues (a hint of wetness on a rough day), but they do get you home on a bad day.
  8. vasiliosg

vasiliosg New Member

repowered with yanmars in 08, stripped her right back rewired, new fiberglass slimline hardtop from atlantic towers

Mercruisers or yanmars?

28's have their issues (a hint of wetness on a rough day), but they do get you home on a bad day.[/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

9. ScrumpyVixen

ScrumpyVixen Member

Very nice. Did you put in the 170's or 230's?

I had one with the 170's and they ran like a toyota. Put 1000 hours on them without any issues.

Where are the outriggers!

Scrumpy
  10. franzmerenda

Bas you own the Queen of Rock and Roll!
    I remember when I was on a friend's of mine 28, we had to grab everything, even if a dinghy was riding by.

On the other hand, back to the 510, with all the due respect to NYCAP, one of the Pros here,
    I agree in head seas you have to throttle down, but this is what has to be done also on a 50 Hatteras.
    I would guess that is more related to hull length.

While if we talk of Bert 46, let me say a couple of things:
    A) Dave Napier the guy thanks to whom the term "Bertram weather" was coined and Designer of the 46 hull
    B) Lower speeds, different boat planing also due to engines weight, huge of hull weight and fuel burn.

Still thinking the 510 is a good boat IMMO.

While I agree the hundreds series, 450/510/570 and last but not least the 630, represented actually the end of a Legend!

Can't remember the name of the Designer:D
  11. vasiliosg

vasiliosg New Member

Hi Franz

Yeah they can rock, I've been careful with wieght distributions everything has been about limiting it,batteries placement blah blah.

End of the day it is what it is and always gets me home safe has 240 tankaqrd huge trim tabs and all wieght where possible removed from flybridge.

Tend to drift fish with sea anchor pointing it bow first into oncoming swell or trawl never anchor. Did 10 hours in her for Rotto swim at 2/4 knots wasn't as bad as I thought had a few kwells before hand to be sure :) was a bit ****** weather too

Back to the 51 we have not many 45/46 here but a lot of 42's mainly with GM motors to be honest prior to this I was looking at a fairly new Blackwatch 36 which I've always likes but at heart I'm a Bertram fan good or bad.
    I like the 51 because its quite modern compared to the Oz Bertram /Caribbean in looks and finish.

The running costs of the 51 scare me a bit as do the MANs they quoted nearly 400k for a refit I'm sure it can be done a bit cheaper but nut a heap I imagine.
  12. franzmerenda

My friend put on her no less than 2K hours during the last 7 years, with not a single major issue.

He only had to change a couple of electronic control units; let me say, due to some shore-power overload may be, when he was cruising in deep South Med.

If you can have engines surveyed carefully, including fluids analysis, prior to a possible purchase, big issues stay out of the door.
  13. vasiliosg

vasiliosg New Member

These have done 3200 hours so far. Guess good news is that they weren't mangrenades, will def do engine survey to nth degree.
  14. franzmerenda

Those hrs mean they should have at least made a major haul
  15. ScrumpyVixen

ScrumpyVixen Member

Happy to give a view on the 36, as I had two 28's, before getting a new 36 which i had for 5 years.
  16. vasiliosg

vasiliosg New Member

Happy to hear it, its 2005 Oz built 380 cummins
  17. vasiliosg

vasiliosg New Member

here is another pic of mine

Attached Files:

• imp.jpg
      imp.jpg
      File size:
      54.9 KB
      Views:
  18. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

It may mean that they are ready for a major overhaul soon and that the new owner is going to have that very expensive privilege.
  19. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

I had my Bertram 54 tied to a mooring and we were having fun with the Bertram 28 too ... So we brought the B28 next to the B54 using large fenders as a precaution. A passing boat left just the right kind of wake that had the B28 rock over so hard that the radar arch on the B28 almost smashed through the side salon window of the B54 .. It was that close. The upper (top of B28 salon) rub rail did hit the side of the B54 and exploded with fiberglass going everywhere. The force of impact was extreme. No damage to the B54 but that started the process on the B28 where I decided to replace the salon window glass and frames, glass over the front windows and do an entire exterior paint job. It's going to be a 2 year process and I'm approaching one year this summer. Got her sanded down, glassed over the front and new custom glass (sealed) on the sides.

Lesson for all Bertram 28 owners ... don't tie up or let anybody tie up tandem as you will all regret it.
  20. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

The 54 Bert is a tank!