Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Walker Click for Mulder

58' Bertram FBMY - opinions?

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Grimreaper105, Jan 27, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Grimreaper105

Grimreaper105 New Member

Setting sail for Murrells Inlt South Carolina
    Hi,
    I hope I can steal some knowledge off this forum. I have been boating for 15 years now. I have had two boats, a 1988 292 Ultra Sun Runner, and a 40’ Silverton ACMY. I have just retired and we are looking at four 58’ Bertram FBMY’s. They range from 1976 to 1983. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any known problems with this vessel. We will be living aboard in South Carolina which I also have questions about. I like all four, and would like to throw some out prior to having the survey done on them If I see a problem, I can just walk first. Like I know with my Silverton, there was a problem with the fuel tanks leaking. Things like that. They all have GM Detroit’s in them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also would like to know about marinas in the area between Myrtle Beach and Charleston. What is a good marina to look at to live aboard? We are going down in a couple of weeks to walk through them. Thank you in advance for all your help. I hope I can be a positive contributor to this forum in the future. Thanks again.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ole Berts

There is no better feeling than taking your home with you where ever you go AND NOT have to wait for any weather window.
    We have lived on our 58 Bert MY for almost 8 years now. Rebuild almost everything and some items coming back around again.
    If you don't mind a fuel hog, there is no better ride. Carry extra props and set up a hookah rig.

The bad news, Don't pick up an old Bert for an investment.

Squirt us an note directly with your e-mail and we can share more.

71s rule,
    Ralph
  3. Grimreaper105

Grimreaper105 New Member

Thank you Sir, That is what I wanted to hear. I understand about the depreciation on her. The one I am looking at has a new dive compressor. I thought that was cool for the hookah rig. Thanks again. I will touch base with you.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

As for marinas in that area I'd look at Georgetown Landing and there are a couple of marinas just north of Charleston on the ICW but their names escape me right now. Not too much else that I can think of. Charleston of course has several good marinas, and if you go a little north or south of that area, up toward Cape Fear or down near Beaufort and below, you have several good choices.
  5. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

Murrells Inlet

Send me a PM. Happy to share local knowledge with you and welcome to paradise.........
  6. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

1) Unless some previous owner cut a hatch in the salon sole, invest in a set of knee pads from Home Depot as you will spend a lot of time on your hands and knees going in & out of the engine room through the galley 'mouse-hole'.

2) On occasion, you may encounter a leak in the trunk cabin overheads. The trick is to realize that the leak in evidence may have it's source ten feet away.

3) Before you become too home-bound and fearful of breaking the Missus' crockery, pick a snotty day--six-to-eight is about right--and run out and stick her nose into it. Your pocket battleship will astound you with her ability to show the sea who's boss.

4) The stock 60H Danforth is a bow ornament--ditch it for a big, honkin' CQR with chain rode.

5) Buy lots of DC lightbulbs: the 32VDC chargers actually put out ~36V shortening bulb life.

6) You have what's known as a 'floating ground' DC system, so be careful about any mods/repairs in this area.

7) Ditch the stinky Raritan saltwater heads for the freshwater variety.

8) Repeat #3 and tell yourself this is the last time.

9) OK, just one more time. Seriously.

10) As liveaboards, and if your boat has the (optional) cruising mast, learn about the blue and white lamps indicating 'Meal' and 'Owner Absent' for a retro cool factor.

You are gonna love this boat!
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Go Berting

Don't let the 32vdc scare you. Shop e-bay for spares and stock lamps, pumps and float switches. Counting sumps, pumps and alarms, there are 11 (float switches) in use on our Bert. One goes out every 6 months.
    I've been long winded on these thoughts before (32vdc) and may be worth looking up old postings here in YF.
    Loren is rite on; repeat #3 often. Your ears will start to hurt from your smile reaching around your head.
  8. Grimreaper105

Grimreaper105 New Member

Thank you for all the useful information. I think it is time to get the surveyor on board. Thanks again.
  9. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up regarding ebay for the 32v gear, my Hatteras has the same issues. Being in Australia just adds one more complication. I bought a 32v Alternator as a spare before I shipped her but dread the day I need some other gear.
    BTW, I was in the ER & heard a bilge pump turn on near the stbd shaft, so I checked the FWD bilge (deepest one) & it was full with no action at the pump. Pump is 32v. Luckily it was the switch & I found that the chandelry had a switch that was 32,24 or 12v.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can get bilge pumps, lightbulbs, and all other 32 volt stuff. I've never had a problem finding the stuff in Fort Lauderdale.......
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There has never been a problem getting 32vdc stuff. Some of the list prices can turn your parts inside/out. Not everybody keeps it on their shelf to sell today also.
    One of my examples is; I purchased a case of 25w, 32vdc screw in lamps for pennies on the dollar thru e-bay. Not even West Marine keeps any 32vdc stuff on the shelves, maybe SOME 24vdc stuff.
    Like anybody else, we want to stock up on certain things and they are out there.
    Just don't be scared of the 32vdc equipment or old boats that still use it.
  12. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Thanks Cpat J & rcrapps, there will certainly be a time that I will need to get something...
    George
  13. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

Just curious, kind of. Why these instead of a similar vintage and size Hatteras? You get walk in engine rooms, companies devoted to fully supporting these boats (Hatteras themselves and Sam's Marine), a very knowledgeable and helpful owner's forum, an annual "Owner's University" in North Carolina, and so on and so on? When I was looking to do exactly what you are, I dismissed the Berts quickly for these reasons and more. I have only grown more grateful I bought a Hatteras (56MY in my case) as the years have gone by.

Georgetown Landing is a great place, I'll agree with that. Osprey Marina a little further up the Waccamaw near Myrtle is also well worth considering. Really protected and well run. Further south, the Beaufort area has some good live aboard spots, Dataw Island and Lady's Island come to mind.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I can't speak for Grimreaper105, I hope he has thought about this.

For myself, I'm 6'8" tall & 300lbs. There is still headroom on our Bert 58my.
    I usually end up with a few bumps and scars when I visit a Hat.
    On our Bert, for quick in/out of the ER, the galleys mouse hole is not to too bad, for serious ER work, I installed a piano hinge and gas springs to a center line hatch from the salon. The rest of the salons deck plates come up with out to much fuss for taller ER work.
    Walk in ERs on the some Hats may be nice for some folks, I find it as a terrible waist of volume.

I pay dearly for MPG, but the deeper / longer "V" , wider and heavier hull makes the ride SO much better. I don't think this is a factor when comparing newer models. Gads, I hope nobody builds anything this heavy anymore.

I've never experienced any factory support on anything we have owned. I can't comment on that point much.
    I have visited the Hat forum a few times, see a few familiar names there also. It seems OK. Not sure if boat buying should be based on if there is a owners forum or not.

And, I think Bertrams are just better looking.
  15. Grimreaper105

Grimreaper105 New Member

Hey,
    For me the Bertram sold itself to us as soon as we boarded her. Like I said we will be living on her, so roominess is an important factor. We were down in Annapolis, and boarded two yachts. The 58 Hatteras, and the Bertram. No contest. The Bertram felt large and very airy, where the Hatteras made me feel claustrophobic. I did like the engine room access on the Hatteras, but the Mouse hole surprisingly did not bother me that much. Now the Hatteras we were on was done in a dark wood, which really darkened the whole boat inside. Again with the 10’ ceiling in the galley on the Bertram, the room layout and sizes, coupled with the ease of working in the engine room, my wife and I were sold on her. Please do not get me wrong. The Hatteras was a nice boat, but the Bertram is the one for us. I do not think the beam is as wide on the Hatteras either. The 18’ beam on the Bertram was spacious. I think it is just a personal choice on both boats. I bet if we did not board the Bertram, and only boarded the Hatteras, I would probably have settled for her. By the way, I am also a large framed guy, 6’3 280lbs. The Bertram is fat guy friendly. As far as help from the companies, I am thinking my best line of information is from forums like this one to help with problems. I think that parts will be at swap meets, and EBay. Thanks for the marina names down there. We are flying in Monday to look at them. I just added a couple of marinas you mentioned we did not have on our list. :)
  16. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

Don't miss Wacca Wache Marina in Murrells inlet. The Waccamaw River is a black river and very hull friendly as it is slightly acidic. Hurricanes usually miss or lightly touch this protected area. In addition, it is not "buggy".

Having a bar and grill 50' from your foredeck ain't bad either......;)
  17. Grimreaper105

Grimreaper105 New Member

Hey, Thanks. That one is on our list. I may have to extend our time spent down there looking. I never knew there were so many nice marinas down there. Hope they all allow live a boards.
  18. Grimreaper105

Grimreaper105 New Member

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the tips on the marinas. We landed up really liking the Charleston City Marina. Looking at a really nice 60x20 slip on the far south end on Z dock. Very peaceful, and the folks who work there and live there welcomed us with open arms. The place was clean and friendly. Even a dolphin came up to us to say “Hello”. Full service marina right down to a transit van to go shopping every hour. Thanks again. Now just have to get the boat surveyed, and we should be good to go.
  19. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Love the 58 Bertram MY as a liveaboard, it feels like twice the boat a Hatteras 58 is in MHO. The layout and overall feel of spaciousness works, plus when all things are equal, spend your money on the best rough Sea boat you can, you will really appreciate the difference when the weather turns and Mother natures comes to greet you!

I have spent half a lifetime in engine rooms without stand-up headroom, no big deal as long as access to the critical stuff (Shaft logs, Ball valves, Strainers, etc.) is available.

I have always wondered about matching a pair of Pod drives to a non-cockpit Motoryacht by means of a cockpit addition to this or any other Motoryacht design - It would be interesteing to see someone try it, have a modern, quiet and economical power package in an improved overall design with the cockpit, balance the boat out with centerline fuel tanks (aka Lazzarra) and create a huge workshop (or whatever) for the tinkerer in all of us??? Nothing $400K+ could not figure out:)
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Why do you think a cockpit would be necessary? IPS can be mounted pretty much as close to or far from the powerplant as needed. That's not to say it would work well on this boat, but just curious.