Click for Elling
Click for Bering
Click for Moonen
Click for JetForums
Click for Nordhavn
Click for Northern
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > SportFish Yachts > Bertram Yacht > 58' Bertram FBMY - opinions?

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

58' Bertram FBMY - opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

Don't miss Wacca Wache Marina in Murrells inlet. The Waccamaw River is a black river and very hull friendly as it is slightly acidic. Hurricanes usually miss or lightly touch this protected area. In addition, it is not "buggy".

Having a bar and grill 50' from your foredeck ain't bad either......
ddw1668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #17 (permalink)

Hey, Thanks. That one is on our list. I may have to extend our time spent down there looking. I never knew there were so many nice marinas down there. Hope they all allow live a boards.
Grimreaper105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hey guys,
Thanks for the tips on the marinas. We landed up really liking the Charleston City Marina. Looking at a really nice 60x20 slip on the far south end on Z dock. Very peaceful, and the folks who work there and live there welcomed us with open arms. The place was clean and friendly. Even a dolphin came up to us to say “Hello”. Full service marina right down to a transit van to go shopping every hour. Thanks again. Now just have to get the boat surveyed, and we should be good to go.
Grimreaper105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #19 (permalink)

Love the 58 Bertram MY as a liveaboard, it feels like twice the boat a Hatteras 58 is in MHO. The layout and overall feel of spaciousness works, plus when all things are equal, spend your money on the best rough Sea boat you can, you will really appreciate the difference when the weather turns and Mother natures comes to greet you!

I have spent half a lifetime in engine rooms without stand-up headroom, no big deal as long as access to the critical stuff (Shaft logs, Ball valves, Strainers, etc.) is available.

I have always wondered about matching a pair of Pod drives to a non-cockpit Motoryacht by means of a cockpit addition to this or any other Motoryacht design - It would be interesteing to see someone try it, have a modern, quiet and economical power package in an improved overall design with the cockpit, balance the boat out with centerline fuel tanks (aka Lazzarra) and create a huge workshop (or whatever) for the tinkerer in all of us??? Nothing $400K+ could not figure out
PacBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacBlue View Post

I have always wondered about matching a pair of Pod drives to a non-cockpit Motoryacht by means of a cockpit addition to this or any other Motoryacht design - It would be interesteing to see someone try it, have a modern, quiet and economical power package in an improved overall design with the cockpit, balance the boat out with centerline fuel tanks (aka Lazzarra) and create a huge workshop (or whatever) for the tinkerer in all of us??? Nothing $400K+ could not figure out
Why do you think a cockpit would be necessary? IPS can be mounted pretty much as close to or far from the powerplant as needed. That's not to say it would work well on this boat, but just curious.
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #21 (permalink)

The motoryachts with an Aft Master Stateroom typically have a mid-engine room layout with some long shafting and additional struts/bearings for support. Putting the drives in the current propeller location would have them underneath the Aft Master Stateroom berth, which usually has water or some other type of tankage below.

I could picture a neat, pre-engineered copckpit extension including pod drives layed up ahead of time, and then mated to the exitsting hull with not that much of a struggle, keeping the propulsion machinery out of the living spaces and allowing for new uses of the old machinery space.

Just thinking out loud......
PacBlue is offline   Reply With Quote