Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder

Bertram 58 Motor Yacht 1979

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Baba, Mar 31, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Baba

Baba New Member

I am the owner of a Bertram 58 Motor Yacht with a 10ft added cockpit.

I am having problems solving leaks in the salon area from what I thougth was the windows. I have since sealed the windows however the leaks continue when I travel in rough seas at an average of 12 knots.

Has anyone had the same experience and has any ideas on what the cause of the leaks could be?

Any help would be appreciated !
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The rub rails are a good place to look.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Check all of the drains in the flybridge, a lot of times the limber holes get plugged up, the water level rises, and runs down the wiring chases. Or from the screws holding the flybridge down as well.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

old leaks

Did you find all your leaks yet?
  5. Baba

Baba New Member

Yes I finally found the leaks. It was the long engine vent on the side of the hull.
  6. sam356

sam356 Member

I am glad you found your leak but it took you a long time to fix it.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Thank you for your follow up. Now the rusty gears in my head have been cranking.
    Did your leaks leave water on the saloon deck or raining in the engine room?

I ask because I'm about to tackle a leak that only appears in a heavy rain or seas. The after, starboard corner of the engine room leaks (pours) from the overhead. In the area of the original DCv blowers and under the saloons stb A/C unit. I had thought it was the air box for the blowers but the ER vent boxes have been on my mind since your reply.

Thx, Ralph
  8. Captain Alex

Captain Alex New Member

Bertram 58

Hi, I am considering the purchase of a boat like yours and would like to know what engines you have, hours and approx. consumption at cruising speed. Also could you tell me what year is it and if you have frequent problems with blisters?
    Thank you!
  9. Baba

Baba New Member

Bertram 58 Motor Yacht

Dear Captain Alex

We have been offline for a while now. Sorry for not responding sooner (albeit a year later).

Melissa Anne (previously "Heavenly") is a 1979 Bertram 58 MY with a 10ft cockpit. She has Detroit 12V 71 TI's. I purchased her in May 2009 and she had 1100hr SMOH. We run her at 12knots and the fuel consumption at that speed is approx 23 gallons an hour, 1500 rpm.

We have some blister problems and there is a sister ship to ours here (Real Steel - previously "Miss Elaine-e-us" - 1982) which does not seem to have blister problems.