Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Westport

Bertram moving to North Carolina

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by 54' Bertram, Nov 21, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

Ok, I'll shoot the first volley across the bow.

Word is there is a buyer for the factory and land in Miami and that they plan to relocate to NC. My Allied rep didn't deny it at FLIBS.

What do you know?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have not heard anything, but that's the best thing that could happen to them.
  3. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I heard from the RE broker that was representing the property that the sale fell through. Leaving Miami would mean the company would lose it's connections to its roots, Bertram heritage is south florida just like Cigarette, it would be just wrong if they were anywhere other than south Florida.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That would be all well and good if anyone at the factory could build a quality boat. IMO, the boats have outgrown the facility and area they're being built in. The labor force they have is no longer building the same quality boat that the name represented up until the mid 90's or so. Sometimes starting fresh is the best thing to do. Labor, land, and taxes are cheaper in NC.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What, not China?;) So. Florida has changed a lot and lost a lot of talent in the past 30 years. I think they'd be a very good fit all around in N.C.
  6. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

it is true the current factory is no longer big enough for the size boats they are producing. They also have very few skilled workers remaining at the factory. many of the various components are outsourced and it is not surprising that many of their subcontractors are former Bertam employees.

In it's hayday, Bertram hired and taught many skilled people. through the rough periods in both the economy and with leadership and ownership changes, these people left to start on their own. the more you farm out, the less quality control you have at the end of the day.

I have never viewed Bertram as a "Florida" builder in a positive or negative sense versus say Hatteras being a "Carolina's" builder or Viking as a "New Jersey" builder. I've always looked at Bertram as Bertram and how they stacked up against the competition. I think a move to North Carolina would allow them access to a more skilled labor force and perhaps be able to bring much of the subcontracted work back in house.

I'm reminded of the classic marketing line "The sun never sets on the Bertram Empire". who ever said that Empire was only Miami?
  7. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

so if I follow your logic,you would not buy a Bertram if they moved as it is "just wrong"? any substative reason besides that? and if you didn't buy a Bertram for that reason, what would you buy since their 2 major competators are in North Carolina and New Jersey?

The "heritage" you speak of was a 31' speedboat, far removed from todays convertible compared to the first fiberglass boat from Hatteras, a 41' convertible called Nit Wits. had Dave Naiper not been hied by Bertram, Bertram may have never moved into the larger convertible market.

I would agree that it would be sad if Bertram had to move, but sad because the skill set of the south florida worker is nowhere near what it used to be. they could always build bigger building on the same land but without a staff, its not worth it.
  8. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Next time you bump into Dave, ask him who came up with the idea of Bertram being a "florida/miami" boat and how back in the day that was one of the marketing departments favorite ways to sell Bertrams heritage then get back to me.
  9. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Maybe it's also due ot the fact that the current president, Alton Herndon is from NC. He was formerly with Hatteras Yachts and more recently held a position at Southport Boat Works (based in NC).
  10. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Capt, I doubt it's got anything to do with that and more than likely everything to do with the fact that the Carolina's (for that matter everywhere but Florida) is extremely business friendly and will do anything (including in some instances give free property) to lure manufacturers to their states. Florida on the other hand (Dade in particular) will do anything they can to discourage new business and will do everything they can to make life miserable for people already in business (ask anyone in the boat business in Dade county about DERM and see what they say). Think back 10 years and list all the boat builders that were in Florida, check today and see how many of the larger ones have relocated out of state.
  11. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Shazam,
    The fact that Alton has built in NC (and sees that Miami is falling off) and knows that there are still fine craftmen up there has to be part of the equation. Also, if he's a savvy businessman, he is working out incentives from the local cities, counties and state that will make it very attractive to move there.
    And I agree that the FL counties are helping to drive boat businesses out of the area. Broward is also on the list of declining builders and yards. But I hear that Charleston is picking up as well as other areas up north, out of Florida (except for Rybo perhaps).
  12. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Cap, there's no shortage of quality craftsmen here in FL, just a shortage of people willing to employ them.
  13. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

ok, so I'm back with you. they sold les than 12 boats over 63' last year. it's over! they either build a good boat or they don't. why do you hang on to the good years? If I owned Bertram I would move it. If you owned Bertram what would you do? This isn't a pissing contest between cubans and rednecks. its about scales of ecomomy and where can I as a builder have the best environment to build in.
  14. frankie252

frankie252 New Member

Nice Welcome to NC

We could use the boost here as well. Unfortunate for the FL makers though I do understand work force is tight everywhere right now. However we build Hatteras, Albermarle, Carolina Classic, Fountain, Viking, Bayliner, Cabo, Jones Brothers, & Parker to list a few so the work will be welcome here in NC. Hatteras as finally opened production again as of February of this year. Boat builders across the globe have had to change a great deal to keep people employed. So I seems it's one of those do what you have to things to survive. But hate to see any company have to move from it's birth place.
  15. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

hello Shazam, still waiting on your reply my friend.
  16. Liam

Liam Senior Member

This is an old post, but in the new Brazilian Factory which Ferretti Group opened, which build some Ferretti's and Pershing, the Bertram 360 is being listed as one of the models being built there.
    I tought the model was phazed out, but apparently is back in the works now.
    Will this be built for Brazil only, or it will also be imported to the US
  17. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I wouldn't read too much into that Brazilian website as the 360 molds are still sitting outside the factory in Miami. On another note, the factory officially sold last month, Bertram has 2 years remaining at whats left of the factory before they have to leave.

Sad to see an integral part of Miami waterfront history go away like this.
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

and pay for them. The labor rate is considerably cheaper in NC than FL for employees building boats. I hate to say this, but I was at a boat yard on the miami river today. Every yard in Miami I have ever been to, the people work SO SLOW even compared to Fort Lauderdale. It's like the employees got a lesson in work ethics from the Bahamas. People in NC have a get to it, and get it done attitude. In Miami, in the boating industry, it seems like anyone employed in it, move like molasses.
  19. vlafrank

vlafrank Senior Member

A friend of mine told me that that work ethic "attitude" is known generically as "Keys Fever." Make of that what you will.
  20. Liam

Liam Senior Member

The news os official from Ferretti Group not a Brazilian website:

Established towards the end of 2010, the new facility is among the largest of its kind in Latin America and features a total surface area of around 145,000m², of which 45,000m² is enclosed. When producing at full capacity, the shipyard has the capability to build up to 120 yachts per year from the entire Ferretti Group range. It is dedicated to producing yachts that measure up to 83’ feet and are exclusively tailored to the demands of the Brazilian clientele. Currently, the plant can build 11 Ferretti Yachts models, 2 Pershing models and 1 Bertram yacht.

Models produced
    Ø 11 Ferretti Yachts models, from the 500 to the 830 (500, 530, 550, 570, 620, 660, 700, 720, 750, 800, 830);
    Ø 2 Pershing models (the 64’ and the 80’);
    Ø 1 Bertram model (the 360).
    UNQUOTE

It will be interesting to see where Bertram will be moved from now onwards. I think FG desire was to stay in Florida and move a bit further up North.
    Saying this selling 12 boats in this market was not at all so bad, all IMO. Yes far away from the 50 production of a few years back, but this is the market of the last couple years. As far as I know Hatteras sold a similar number.