Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights

Transporting Bertram 42 Motor Yacht

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by prisservin, Oct 25, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. prisservin

prisservin New Member

Hello,

I'm new at this, so please bear with me. We just purchased a 1983 Bertram 42 Motor Yacht and are planning to transport her to an inland lake. We are going to have to take off the flybridge and perhaps take her down below the windshields. Does anyone know where we could find technical drawings for this age boat that would identify attachment points?

Thanks!
  2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Transport Bertram

If you contact Allied Richard Bertram in Ft Lauderdale they may be able to help, one of the reps there used to work at Bertrams and could give you a link to someone who would have that info.
    Don't be too optimistic though......
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

I'm not sure why you would need any technical data from Bertram to make the boat truck ready. Once you start to disassemble starting from the top, each next step tends to become pretty obvious. There's usually more head scratching involved with the removal of items that were added to the boat after it was built. Especially on an older boat. And that's not going to be in the Bertram specs anyway.

The best approach is to have the same tech do the work at both ends. If that's going to be you, then you already have that covered. If not, the cost of travel for the tech is money well spent.
  4. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Prisservin, by 'attachment points', I assume you mean hull supports? The trucking company (e.g., Joule) will utilize a "low-boy" trailer with plenty of supports--padded screw-jack types.
  5. prisservin

prisservin New Member

Thank you

Thank you for all the responses and good advice. I'll call Allied Richard Marine. We are trying to discover (1) how far we have to take the boat down for transport and (2) how to remove the windshield for transport if we have to go that far. I'm sure the company moving the boat will handle all of this for us. We just want to have a better understanding before we proceed. And yes, we are using the same person on both ends to disassemble and reassemble. We had already received that most excellent advice! Thanks again.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I read an article in Power & Motoryacht a month or two back about a very good & a very bad transporting job. You might want to research that. I believe some names were shown.
  7. GFC

GFC Senior Member

Prisservin, This summer I shipped my 550 Sedan Bridge from MI to WA. The flybridge had to be removed and shipped on a separate trailer hauled by a second truck.

The trucking company will not do the tear down work for you, and you wouldn't want them to do it. They're truckers, not boaters and not boat yard workers.

The advice above to have the tear down and reassembly done by the same person is dead right. There are too many true horror stories about the boat yard who does the tear down speeding up the process by simply cutting cables and wires and not marking what they are/were. When the boat gets to the destination the poor soul who has to put it back together has no idea what wires to what instrument.

Unless you're doing the tear down and reassembly yourselves, what I would suggest is finding a boat yard near the inland lake where you're shipping the Bert. Have one of their people travel to where the Bert is to do the tear down.

I had a boat yard in Portland, OR do my reassembly (and install some additional equipment for me). They had their lead tech fly to MI and take care of the tear down. He spent three days in MI supervising the tear down before the boat was loaded on the trailers. He met the trucks in Oregon and did all the reassembly himself. To make that easier, he had marked every wire and every bit of hardware that was removed. He also took care to make sure the boat was well protected for it's cross country trip.

Having him do both ends of the work made it a lot cheaper and better, even considering the flights, hotels, etc.