Click for Westport
Click for Burger
Click for Elling
Click for Moonen
Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for Alexseal
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > SportFish Yachts > Bertram Yacht > Fresh Water Tank 1984 38

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Fresh Water Tank 1984 38

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Fresh Water Tank 1984 38

I found a small leak in on the bottom of my fresh water tank, which was an aluminum cube. I had to cut the salon floor, move the water heater and remove the tank to get a good look. The leak was on the bottom of the tank. Once removed, it was clear the tank was experiencing some widespread corrosion. With little to lose, we cut the tank open and found it was pitted everywhere and about to fail in a big way. I am now cleaning and painting the bilge, since everything is accessible due to the floor being cut away. I am looking for a replacement tank of about the same size (100 gal) but in plastic. It appears the life expectancy of the aluminum tank is 26 years in my case.
Mullide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullide
I found a small leak in on the bottom of my fresh water tank, which was an aluminum cube. I had to cut the salon floor, move the water heater and remove the tank to get a good look. The leak was on the bottom of the tank. Once removed, it was clear the tank was experiencing some widespread corrosion. With little to lose, we cut the tank open and found it was pitted everywhere and about to fail in a big way. I am now cleaning and painting the bilge, since everything is accessible due to the floor being cut away. I am looking for a replacement tank of about the same size (100 gal) but in plastic. It appears the life expectancy of the aluminum tank is 26 years in my case.
It might be easier and cheaper to make a new tank in place out of fiberglass if you have the access to do it. If not, when we need aluminum tanks made, we usually go to a local welding place that makes them to your specs.
Capt J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

It is nearly certain that you can find an off the shelf poly tank that will replace the old tank perfectly at a very reasonable cost.

Spend a couple of minutes with Google.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for both comments. I am looking on line for a plastic replacement. I should be done with that project soon.
Mullide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't have a Boats & Harbors handy, but there's an ad running in it by a company that makes them in almost any size or shape you need. You can find it on line.
NYCAP123 is online now   Reply With Quote