Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

Buying a Bertram 20 Moppie

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Ioannis76, Sep 20, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ioannis76

Ioannis76 New Member

Hello,

I am looking to buy a Bertam 20 Moppie in Europe, where I live, and I have found one for sale in the nothern part - however appart from some really nice photos, the only thing I have in my hands is a Hull Number.

Is there any way I can find out when the boat was built, where, what are her specifications/technical characteristics and where is was registered in the US? I suppose there must be a database linking hull numbers with all that...

If I manage to find here "paper-trail" leading to her import in Europe, I will of course fly out to see her... any pointers/heads up on what to look for in this kind of boat?

Appreciate any help at all...

Thanks

Ioannis
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You might be able to get some info from Bertram. Beyond that it's doubtful. At 20' I doubt she was ever documented. So, the only real shot would be to track it back one owner to another. One suggestion would be to examine the transom. You may be able to make out her name & hailing port to start your search. Good luck.
  3. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

I am considering a 20 ft Bertram Bahia mar, or center console from the early 60s for summer use in mid coast Maine, and wonder if any one has any thoughts on ride and what to watch out for. I might also consider a 25 if consensus is that it is a better boat.

Best,
    Maldwin
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Maldwin,

We have quite a few Bertrams in Sweden, many imported in the 90:s, and we have often found the GRP in the hull to be soft, almost like powder. Some are good and some soft and I don't have any answer why. It can be just age or it can be water intrusion in an earlier life, some of these boats are approaching 50 years after all...

Besides this, they are still popular and almost all are completely rebuilt with new engines, wiring, steering and all. They are most often repainted and some have new gelcoat, which is nice.
  5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

IMHO the biggest flaw in the small Bertrams is the I/O drive train. I much prefer the 22 Chris Tournament or a Shamrock, both straight inboard.
  6. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

Thanks Eric,
    What do you think of outboard repowers?
    Best,
    Maldwin
  7. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

If I recall correctly, there may have been some Bertram 20 hulls built for outboard power. An outboard retrofit will likely require a bracket mount, or a clever platform/hull extension. Anything would be an improvement over I/O.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

There was one for sale here a couple of years ago. With a GRP bracket and an Optimax 225 hp...

Attached Files:

9. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

That's a nice looking rig. Sure would be cheaper to buy one than to "build" one.
  10. Vikdan

Vikdan New Member

Im looking to buy a Bertram in Sweden, what do you mean by soft GRP in the hull? Is it something i need to look out for?
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yes it is. If water gets under the gelcoat it can turn the fiberglass mat to mush. End result can be weak decks, weak stanchions and hardware supports, delamination and basically a lot of expensive work or a junk boat. Lightly knock around the hull and deck with your knuckle, a hammer handle or such. You'll hear the knock go to a thud at any problem areas. Also wiggle the lower part of stanchions and cleats, etc. as it often happens where screws are driven in without caulking (but it can happen anywhere.
  12. Vikdan

Vikdan New Member

Thanks for the information
    Is t the same problem on Chris Craft Lancer from the 70s?
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's a potential problem with any "fiberglass" boat. The problem comes in with smaller / older / less expensive boats that may not justify the cost of a surveyor. Then it's on you. What you never want to do is end up being the last owner a boat has,