Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for JetForums Click for Delta

Bertram 28 catalogue and specs

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by PeteD, Sep 12, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PeteD

PeteD New Member

Hi, Is there someplace I can find and download the specs for Bertram 28. Best would be a full catalogue. I'm interested in buying a 28' but there are none in my local area and I'd like to be sure of all the dimensions. The basic hull dimensions are known. It's the cabin and engine room and hold areas I'd like to see. I have two teenagers both over 6ft who have out grown our 22ft Whaler we've been living and camping on the last 4-5 years and I'd like to make sure there's room for them...and me on a Bertram 28.

Thanks.
  2. ScrumpyVixen

ScrumpyVixen Member

Not the specs, but may be useful.

http://www.gameboats.com.au/boatSpecs/print/c28fc.pdf

I have had 2 28's in Sydney. I am 5 11. I can stand in "salon", but it does not have alot of head room. Did not sleep on it much, but 3 6 footers would have someone sleeping on the floor (one in the front cabin, one using the convertibe dining area, and one on the floor.

3 can sit on the flybridge, but 2 better.

Big back deck which is the main attraction. We had 2 steel poles made to fit in the rod holders on the transom corners and ran a cover from the back of the flybridge to the poles. Shade for the back deck. may not be an issue in your area.

Main (dry) storage area in the front cabin and cupboards in the salon.

Great sea boat. Wet (as it is low to the water), but always got us home in some very ordinary weather.

Had diesels and petrols. Yanmar diesels the go.
  3. PeteD

PeteD New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. Although tight it sounds like it may work for us. Even more with a little custom work. There some great examples of custom 28's in Australia I found on the net.

I'd still like the real dimensions though. Anyone ?
  4. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

With 6'7" headroom, your kids ought to fit.

The numbers for a 1980 boat...

LOA 28'
    LWL 23'4"
    Draft 2'7"
    Height above WL to aft sheer 3'0"
    " " forward 3'9"
    " " F/B windshield 9'1"
    Cockpit to covering board 28"
    Cockpit length 10'4"
    Cockpit area 85 sq. ft.

I've got a few old brochures laying around. When I find some time to scan them, I'll post a pic or three.
    Robvald likes this.
  5. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

As kid I always thought the B-28 was the coolest boat ever.
    Great lines and lots of usable space!
    It's too bad they don't make boats like that in the US anymore.
    It's the perfect "mini-big boat"
    I guess outboards and center consoles killed these boats. :-(
  6. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

I think it was cost that killed them ... People didn't want to pay the big bucks for a 28 footer. They tried to contain cost by using the dreaded formica but it was still expensive. I'm happy to say my boat does not have any of the formica anymore! I would have responded with the measurements but unfortunately I'm not at the boat right now:-(

Attached Files:

7. PeteD

PeteD New Member

And it still is the coolest looking boat ever gerikson.

Bayside Bert28, I came across those pictures in my internet travels recently. As an amatuer furniture finisher I must say... that's incredible. I'd planned to write you for dimensions but just hadn't had time yet.

The head room in the salon is great at 6ft 7in. I wasn't expecting that much height. Now I need to figure out the bunk space. If a put my 2 boys in the V-berth is the dinette long enough for me at 6ft 2in to sleep? And sleep well? Actually, I'm assuming the v-berth long enough for 6ft 2in isn't it?

From internet viewing numerous 28's for sale I'm noticing some 28s have a wider alley way through the salon than others.What's the difference in layout to cause this?

Thanks
  8. ScrumpyVixen

ScrumpyVixen Member

That's a very impressive interior. Did you do it yourself/get it done?

Nice platform at the back as well.
  9. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Kudos, BaysideBert, for a really gorgeous interior--looks like a Hinckley!

Back in the mid-eighties, the accounting department at Bertram Yacht determined that the company was losing money on building anything smaller than 40 feet. True.

When the recession of 1981/82 hit, they revived the old discontinued 26 to give the public something they could afford. A quaint notion, nowadays, but there was the idea that once someone was a Bertram owner, no matter how small, they'd move up to the larger models.
    That 26, BTW, with a pair of big outboards, would top out at 50 mph.
  10. Ormond Bert54

I purchased the boat with a good bit of the interior done ... but 20 yrs ago and tired. I have a painter who is meticulous with his prep work ... he did this over the winter and its his first attempt with varnish! My Maine carpenters changed out the rear bulkhead, countertop, gunwale and all remaining formica. It's a cool boat and the kids love it. We do lots of tubing and wakeboarding with it.

Now that I have the Bertram 54 of course, the 28 seems very small especially for an overnight. If I were looking for a boat that would be the only boat, I would try to step up in size a bit. The 28 is a keeper though ... the kids would kill me if I got rid of it!

I cannot give those specific measurements requested because I'm not with the boat at this time:-(
  11. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

That 28 interior looks great! I also really like the 54. Since I could not have both, I split the difference and bought a 46.6. ;-)
    Mine is half wood, half formica inside. Doing a very extensive rework of the interior here also, including an all stainless galley.
    I have trouble shrinking pics on my mac or I would post some pics.
    You will have two very fine boats there Bayside Bert28!
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

13. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

thanks, been working on it, here is a try

Attached Files:

14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

640 x 480 according to the Image properties so it look like it works.
  15. Ormond Bert54

I see you figured out how to adjust the size of photos on the mac ... your 46.6 looks great! .. and well cared for. Have you found only minimal surprises thus far?
  16. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

I will have exactly one year in the refit in November and well over 100K in the job. So far I have been very impressed with this boat. The build quality and wiring is nothing short of amazing. My yard in on a large lake so we work on lots of Sea Rays, Carver's, you know, that sort of thing. There really is no comparison. Bertram built an amazing boat. You can tell they really took pride in their work, even where nobody would ever see it.
    I think buying an older 46, 50, or 54 and refitting or even re-powering one is a job well worth doing. The only real issue I had was the boat would not run up on its first sea trail. Turned out that was just some fuel valves under the floor that had been shut off without my knowledge.
    The only weak link on these boats to me is their spartan interiors but that is pretty easy to fix. I replaced all the white formica in the galley with sheet stainless and dark bamboo hardwood floors are going in now. We even built the tower ourselves. Put Microcommander controls in etc. etc. etc.
    The lines of these boats are beautiful. So sleek and clean and powerful... Even the new Bertrams don't have that aggressive look.
    I look at boats all day every day and nothing gets me excited like a pre 2000 Bertram.
    Im just sayin..... :)
    I put a couple more pics on the Bertram pics page.
    I am looking forward to seeing pics of your 54 when you get it finished!