Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

Bow light corrosion?

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by artemis, Jul 23, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. artemis

artemis New Member

Any suggestions on how to keep the bow lights built into the front chocks on my Bertram 28 from coroding due to salt water intrusion. I've tried grease, lcd lights epoxied into the sockets, battery terminal protector. I'm on my 10th set of lights in 8 years and would like a better fix. Any ideas?:confused:
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Dear Artemis,

I noticed your thread only had 3 views after an hour. Why? Because you titled the thread with your screen name, not with a question. I have retitled the thread.

A little dielectric grease on the connections and a smear of silicone around the base of the lens should be an easy fix, but it sounds like you've tried this already?
  3. artemis

artemis New Member

Yes, I have tried dialectic grease along with more gasket material at the top and bottom of the lenses.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Attached Files:

5. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

OK, I just read bow lights and this is what we call this kind of hull lights.

With running lights, I think these are the toughest; http://www.lopolight.com
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Only 10 sets in 8 years?. I'm surprised to see them on an otherwise good boat. I usually see them on boats for 1st timers so they think it's like a car. Are they a retrofit? The 28 Bertram is a low bow boat. Those things get a lot of abuse from spray, the force of the water when driving into waves and the subsequent flexing of the boat. I'd recommend dumping them in exchange for a good spotlight and glass over the area.
  8. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

there are also LED alternatives in the market now. if I recall Hella has them. you may want to check them out