Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for MotorCheck Click for Walker Click for Cross

Bertram 28

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by cjspga, Jul 12, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. cjspga

cjspga New Member

Hi,

My girlfriend has just inherited a 28ft Bertram (her dad passed away) The boat has not been used since being winterized in 2008.

It is out of the water on a lift at her place on the eastern shore of southern Va.

I have owned ski boats all my life but have no clue about a boat this big. Looks like it has steel fuel tanks. Has two Chrysler motors and was her dad's pride and joy. He used it all the time and took great care of it. It has stood for almost 18 months totally unused and out of the water.

What the hell do we do with it, how do we figure-out if it runs or what it needs, without spending thousands just getting it in the water and towed to a marina. ?

Anybody got any (sensible) solutions or ideas. She would like to sell it, or trade for something smaller.

Thanks guy's
    Chris and Heather.
  2. cjspga

cjspga New Member

Pic's of said boat.

Attached Files:

3. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

You didn't say how old it is? If it has Chrysler engines I'm assuming it's gas powered? Do you know what was done to it in 2008? If something like Stabil was put in the gas tanks and run to reach the carburetors/fuel injection I'd be tempted to drop it in the water and fire it up. If it was just put on the lift last time it was used and forgotten the gas may be too old. It looks like all you have to do is lower the lift it's on to get it in the water? It is an inboard so make sure you run the blower in the engine compartment for 5-10 minutes before starting them. Also check the oil before starting the engines. Those were great boats. If the hull and engines are in good shape she ought to be able to sell for a decent price.

The safest route would be to empty the tanks and put new gas in them and have a marine mechanic go over the engines. You did say she is trying not to spend any money on this though. If the gas is bad and you/she runs it, or even if it has just sat up too long, you could end incurring a repair bill anyway.
  4. cjspga

cjspga New Member

I just got my hands on the title.

It is a 1973 - identified as a "cabin cruiser" Twin Chrysler - 275hp motors - (gas) but the title says that they are "outboard". Clearly they are not. Hull ID #28526379

As far as we know, the boat was winterized and the gas had stabil added and the oils changed.

Run the blower in the engine compartment. Where the heck will I find the controls for that and how do I use them - short of switching the ignition on and throwing a switch ??

I have no clue how the heck to fire this puppy up. Do we just insert the key and crank?? To get at the motors there are two access hatches but to do any kind of work does the rear decking have to come out/up?

Is there a "cold start mechanism for the motors"? Where the heck are the batteries kept ??

Its a long and sad story but it is loaded to the hilt with fishing gear, rod's lure's weight's it just looks like he left it yesterday, other than a good amount of grime on the outside. I started to clean it up and it comes up great but am wondering if I am better off letting some enthusiasts take a look.

The boat lift as about two years old and works fine and yes, all we have to do is lower it into the water and in theory try starting her but I don't even have a clue how to do that.

Thanks for your reply, it looks like an amazing boat but is just too much of an emotional hurdle to climb over (for my girlfriend).

Personally, I would love to get her running and clean her up as a surprise for Heather but I just don't know where to start first or what is the most important thing to do without trashing it through ignorance.

Thanks again for your reply. I have a bunch more pic's if that helps.

Regards,
    Chris
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think your best bet is to spend a few hundred dollars on a mobile MARINE mechanic and have him come over and get it running. There are some things that may need to be done before it is started, like opening seacocks and things like that. He can assess the gasoline and other things, and I feel it would be the best money you could spend.....
  6. cjspga

cjspga New Member

Thats a great idea - I had no idea there was such a thing as a mobile marine mechanic but it makes perfect sense.

Thanks so much.

Chris..
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would recommend going to a few nearby marina's and speak to the dockmaster and boat owners and get a few referrals for a mobile marine mechanic........Explain to them what you have. But it's also money well spent to be there and have the mechanic show you where the batteries are and how to add water to them, how to work the seacocks and locations, how to clean the sea-strainers, fuel filters etc etc etc.......
  8. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

I think the battery disconnect switches are under the step going into the cabin. I would imagine the batteries need charged up after 18 months. I would open the hatches and visually inspect everything. If you don't smell gasoline you don't have to run the blower. It's just like a big ski boat, but, with 2 motors. Obviously, don't crank it up until it's lowered in the water. Make sure it's pumping water out of the exhaust. Keep a close watch on the temp gauges.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

10. cjspga

cjspga New Member

Guy's,
    Thanks so mch for all this info - it really helps. I am not exactly a doofus with regards to regular boats but this thing looks a little beyond me, Your info and insight really helps - I might actually get the thing running!

Can any of you hazard a guess as to what batteries I should buy to replace the old ones. I am up in Baltimore and would like to go down to "Fish Stix" prepaired...

Heck, I have to find the key - first! I would like to get her running and use her, I really think Heather would enjoy continuing her father's tradition if she didn't have the worry and headache of trying to sort "Fish Stix" out.

Thanks again for al your help. I hope to have good news in the next 7-10 days or so.

Peace, Chris..
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Replace the batteries with the same size and type that's in there.

You will want to smell the fuel and see if it smells rotton. How much fuel is in it? If it is rotton you will have to drain it all before running the engines.

You are also going to want to replace the raw water pump impellors if it has been sitting 18 months. Make sure seacocks are open and boat is sitting all of the way in the water before starting the engines.

Do run the blowers for several minutes before starting

I still highly recommend a mechanic.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

For the cost and weight of batteries I wouldn't worry about it. Just bring the address of a local marine store (West Marine, Boater's World or whatever) and, if you have one, a battery charger/ jumper. You'll be spending money soon enough. B reak O ut A nother T housand :)
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think the 28' Bertrams had 4- group31 marine batteries.....however, like NYcap said just see what you've got and go to the local marine store......definately bring 2 battery chargers.......1 for each bank.....the boat probably has a built in battery charger.........BUT, I don't see any shorepower connected to it in the picture......

Do you have any friends that are boaters or mechanically inclined that you can bring?
  14. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

I know you said you are trying to do this cheap but based on further posts I'm going to suggest you not only have a marine mechanic come to check out the engines but you hire a local captain for a day, or at least a few hours, to show you how to run the boat and maybe some basic boat handling. The 28' Bertram is a very responsive boat but it sounds like a twin engine inboard is a pretty big departure from what you are used to. Good luck.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Very good advice. He'll also be able to familiarize you with the local waters and give you pointers on maintaining the boat. As for the big departure going to twins, I often get calls from ex-students who are in a panic when they step up to twins. What I tell them is "Your life just got so much easier".:D
  16. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Congratulations on the boat, sorry for the circumstances though.
    That is a nice boat to inherit.
    It might be worth your time / money to hire a captain or surveyor for a day or two to school you on the proper operations of the boat.
    I have no idea what that would cost but sometimes a well meaning friend may give you not so good advice. A good captain would know the facts.
  17. cjspga

cjspga New Member

Thanks guy's.

I am planning on heading down to Reedville - tomorrow (I am in Baltimore) to see what I can get done and take a more "in-depth" look around.

The boat does have shore-power and is hooked up to the mains from the slip it sits on. (think yellow cable) I have to figure out where the heck the keys are. So I suspect I will be having to turn the house upside down!

If anyone wants a whole bunch of fishing gear - let me know. There is a ridiculous amount of it in every crevice the boat has!

One thing I forgot to mention. When I lifted the inspection hatch (left one) from one of the motors, in the bilge? (under the engine area) there appeared to be oil. Not sure if it is transmission or motor oil, but it looked thick and brown/golden in color. Do the transmissions have dipsticks for checking the oil levels? I suspect a drive seal has gone dry and started leaking.

Any thoughts on this or am I way off base ??

The fuel vapor thing has me a little worried. The boat is sitting out under the VA sun and there has to be some vapor build up by now. If I change the batteries over - surely a potential spark is as dangerous as just firing the motors up without running the blower for 10 mins - but if the batteries are flat, I gotta charge them or change them out anyway.

Is there a manual way to vent any built up fuel vapor before I start messing around with any electrics.

I understand from reading a few forums, that these boats don't steer very well ?? due to having a really small rudder? Can anyone help me understand this a bit better.

Thanks again guy's.

Chris.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't tear the house apart. Most boaters keep a set of keys stashed on board. If the cabin is unlocked check the drawers, fridge and sill below to portholes. If the door is locked check around the cockpit or within easy reach (but not easy view) inside the engine compartment. BTW, most boats are real easy to start without keys if you had a mis-spent youth. :) And most doors are easy to enter without keys also.
    If it's hooked up to shore power (the thick yellow/ sometimes white cord) it will probably start as it has a battery charger which should have kept it on a trickle charge (not to say they won't need to be changed soon as batteries last 3 to 5 years). Most chargers today are "smart chargers" which give as much or as little charge as is called for. Clean off the terminals and coat them with a product like Corrosian-x or CRC.
    You may be able to trade that fishing gear for a day with a captain or mechanic so don't be so fast to give it away. Some rods and reels are worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars.
    That is oil you're seeing in the bilge. Transmission fluid is red, although several marine transmissions use regular oil. It may be that dear old dad was a bit sloppy so check the levels. Yes, transmissions do have a dip stick as well as the one for the motors. Then clean the bilge so that if there is a leak you'll spot where it comes from with the first drop. Pick up some oil pads (the cheap kind). They should be about a buck each or less.
    ALWAYS run the blower for at least 4 minutes before starting a gas boat that's been sitting more than a few minutes. Every summer there is a story of a boat blowing up. Don't be a headline please. The blowers have a static free motor. No risk turning it on. Anything else yes.
    At slow speeds you don't use the wheel and rudders to steer. You use the gear and gas. It's like driving a tank or lawn tractor (the kind with two handles instead of a wheel). Forward left/ Reverse right and the boat will turn clockwise almost within it's own length and visa/versa. as you're cruising in idle if you drop the left (port) into neutral while the right (starboard) is in gear the boat will turn in an arc to the left and visa versa. The wheel is of almost zero use in reverse (there is an exception to that, but I don't want to confuse the issue at this stage). You've got a very good boat there. Enjoy & stay safe.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Open all of the hatches and physically smell for gas, but leaving all of the hatches open for a while will clear out any vapors. Chances are there aren't any as you do have engine room vents and some air passes through there. BUT open the hatch and smell, if you don't smell any fumes you should be good to go. Check the water level in the batteries. Chances are the batteries are toast if it has been sitting so long. You are also going to want to check the stuffing boxes when you put it in the water and make sure they're not leaking too bad before and after your first run with her.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I know we have a lot of diesel guys here (myself included), but please advise to run the blowers. DO NOT DEPEND ON THE SNIFF TEST or open hatches to clear the fumes. They congregate at the lowest point (under the motors?). You may not smell anything for a myriad of reasons just before blowing yourself to kingdom come. I can't remember a single boating season when I didn't read or hear of it happening. I suspect that the batteries will be ok since he's in a moderate climate, the boat was winterized within the past 18 months and the boat has been plugged in (charge maintained). Do check dad's papers filed under "boat" or a maintenance log which is probably on the boat to see when the batteries were bought. They could be 2 years old and fine. Checking the water level is a good call if they're not maintenance fee, and so is the stuffing box, although I think he'd be best to ask the mechanic or captain to do that as he probably won't know what he's looking for (3 drops per minute, 8, 20, dripless?)