Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Comfort Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

Bertram 54 Refit Project

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Ormond Bert54, Apr 8, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

It started out in December when I bought the 1984 Bertram 54 I "had to have".

I made my list of items that had to be repaired or replaced while being as cash conscious as possible. My goal was to make the fixup a multi-year process.

At this point, we are WAY BEYOND a basic refit as my vision of what I "had to have" became more and more grand. Virtually every issue has been addressed. We are shooting for a completion date of May 15th.

Of course, when I say "we" ... that means me anxiously waiting for the process to be finished while 7 or so talented craftsmen work on the beautiful boat. To be fair, I have done quite a bit of coordination, research and planning!

I'll have many more photos over the next month as the project nears completion.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      95.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      93.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      94.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      73.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      42.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The name of your Bert fits the endeavor. Will look forward to frequent installments on your progress!
  3. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

looking nice are you going to keep the original window shape or update it. nice project and keep the pics coming

max
  4. jhartog

jhartog New Member

Hey BBert
    Don't feel bad - I also was planning to address mechanical/electronics this year and save everything else for next year but blew past my budget 3 mos ago. In fact, I blew past it so much I wonder if it was even there. :eek: . Beautiful boat - good luck !
  5. Ormond Bert54

Windows stay ... fortunately ... or else no doubt that would be another $50k project ... No ... with the glassed front and dark tinted glass I don't think it looks too dated and the interior look and feel is awesome.

I have picked projects carefully but replaced or updated virtually anything that was worn out. Of course, that turned out to be at least 1/2 of the mechanicals and electronics on the boat. (because it was in pretty good shape when I bought it!)

Mike
  6. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

sounds good look forward to seeing the end product

max
  7. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Great to see another 54 being rebuilt. My last 54 (1984) was sold to a man from Dubai that's sunk nearly half a million into her (and still has another $300k at least to go). I know two other people right now actively seeking good 54' Berts for refits that are willing to spend nearly seven figures to rebuild them.

It seems as if the 54 may end up being as sought after as the 31 for restorations...
  8. Ormond Bert54

There is something enormously satisfying about saving ... and enjoying one of these older boats. And ... since I couldn't afford a newer one dressed up the way I want it, it's the only game in town for me!

Attached Files:

• 3:t.jpg
      3:t.jpg
      File size:
      93.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2T.jpg
      2T.jpg
      File size:
      89.3 KB
      Views:
    • 1T.jpg
      1T.jpg
      File size:
      92.2 KB
      Views:
  9. threestiks

threestiks New Member

I am the owner of a 1989' 54 (Glory Daze). We have repaced everything except the engines. The window replacement is a must!!! Unless you cruise in a small lake, you will regret not doing it. Glass tech does all my work and they are expensive, but, when it comes to a 54' they know their stuff. The custom windows were 25k (they have the molds) a few years back. They make the boat water tight, those old windows leak like crazy and do a lot of damage. But the cool look it gave the boat was well worth it.

Good luck
  10. Ormond Bert54

I would like to see a photo of Glory Daze with the new glass ... I think my side windows have leaked some ... we have cleaned up the area ... I'll probably go a few years now without major projects! Here is Fanstastic Voyage fitting the new enclosure ... then electronics ... then begin the voyage!

Attached Files:

11. Manny

Manny Senior Member

yes the production windows are very leaky....I've thought of putting in newer windows myself but it's a little too expensive. I have a friend who did it to his, an identical twin to my 54'. well, at least they were twins before a major refit he did to his, including the windows. they look absolutely stunning.

THat 54's looking mighty fine there!
  12. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Windows are relatively easy to do, especially since you already have the front closed in. I just did a set on my 55 Hatteras.
  13. Manny

Manny Senior Member

nothing on a boat is cheap my friend :D

even if it was just a few thousand, I'm not in the mood for spending a cent after painting the interior woodwork:p
  14. Ormond Bert54

New electronics console (to the right of the helm) ... previously electronics were mounted overhead.

Glasstech did a nice job making the console. It's just sitting there right now ... installation is next week.

Flying down to take a look next week.

Attached Files:

15. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Your boat is tied up next door to me right now. Small world!
  16. threestiks

threestiks New Member

Glory Daze

What's the name of the boat?
    Here's a couple of shots of the new windows

Attached Files:

17. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

HEY! You were going out the river as I was coming in. 63' Sunseeker predator.
  18. threestiks

threestiks New Member

Picked up some bad fuel in the Bahamas had have tanks flushed
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You typically don't get bad fuel in the Bahamas. It is typically a myth, the fuel you get in the Bahamas is Ultra Low Sulfur diesel and a higher grade then our typical offroad diesel. What it ends up doing is degrading and dispersing the algae you already have growing in your fuel and on the sides of your tanks and they end up in your filters. Having someone come out to Polish/clean the fuel tanks is a waste of time as it still leaves 10+ % of the algae in your tanks and in 6 weeks it grows right back to almost where you started from unless you chew through all of that fuel and another tank or two right after polishing. Try using a product called "Diesel Kleen- Clear Tank Diesel" I am pretty sure BOW carries it. I Have used it many times and it will even eat the algae out of your racor bowls. It will kill and eat all of the algae.......put it in with what you have in the tank. Then put another dose in when you top off the tank.
  20. threestiks

threestiks New Member

I've been using the diesel kleen cetain boost, for about 12 months. I started using the bio kleen product 4 fillups ago. The first treatment I did was the sh