Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Comfort

how do I move the tackle center on my 54' Bertram?

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by 54' Bertram, Mar 14, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

I see there are several people on the forum that have worked at Bertram over the years. Perhaps you folks can answer a question I have. I'm about to awlgrip the cockpit window trim as well as the other brightwork on my cockpit wall. I need to move my tackle center out of the way to access some painted areas. I've looked everywhere I can access to see where the tackle center is bolted down and give up. my rear fuel tank is directly below the center so I can't access it from underneath or from the ER. How the heck did they secure the sucker? The only areas I can see the bottom of the center is under my sink/tackle drawers on the stb side and via a compresser grill for the coller on the port side. This Bert is the style that the ER access is achieved by flipping up the steps into the salon so that is not a component of the tackle center.

any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Tom
  2. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

There were several different types of tackle centers on the 54, what year is your boat? Also, do you know if the ones that you have are original or aftermarket? You should have enough room to do the refinishing without removing the tackle centers.
  3. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

it's a 1984 and I'm fairly sure it was not aftermarket as I have seen a few other 54' Berts around my vintage with the same tackle center. my problem is the tackle center is about 5 inches off the salon wall because there is a teak strip that runs across the width of the cockpit and is the actual landing step at the salon door. This strip is about 12" below the rear of the tackle center so it would be almost impossible to sand, prime and paint it.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Why would you need to do anything to the teak? It doesn't hurt teak to remain bare. If you can't get to it to refinish it, you most likely won't see it either......
  5. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

its not bear, thats part of the problem. over the years previous owners have had someone lean over and apply a coat of varnish. I'm ready to eliminate all the brightwork on the cockpit wall (window frame, door, sill trim, tackle center strip) to give me a clean look. I have a teak cockpit floor and coming pad. thats enough upkeep for me!
  6. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

here is a picture of my tackle center

Attached Files:

7. CaptOz

CaptOz Member

Hi,

I have an '86 and my tackle center is Identical. Were you able to remove it?

Is your deck teak original? It looks brand new!

Regards,
    Ozzy
  8. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

never figured out how to remove it. I can open the tackle drawers and remove the drawers and see 2 or 3 bolts going into the deck. I can also see, or actually feel some around my freezer compressor but that doesn't seem like enough. I really would like to be able to move it since my live well is set up so the drain is forward and the fill is aft. I always have an inch or two of water in there that doesn't drain. if I could move my center, I could switch the drain and fill tubes. I also have a sink I never use. would love to disconnect it and put in a grill.

do you have a matching single tackle center piece on your starboard side? I don't and wish I did.
  9. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

it appears to be original. I spent about a week with sigle edge razor blades trimming down the black rubber from the PO sanding the deck. every time it rained, water would remain on the teak and not drain because of the rubber being higher. the teak is an inch thick and cleans up well. doesn't look like they used screws on it either, no bung plugs anywhere. wish my covering boards were the same way. starting to have screw plug pops from it being scrubbed and sanded over the years. I intend to have the covering boards removed and at the same time have lift gate cut above the tuna door. would help getting on and off the boat.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Any chance it is bolted to the wall instead of the floor? That would explain the filler piece behind.
  11. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

nope, not bolted to the wall. I can see the space between the tackle center and the wall. the shelf that forms my initial step out of the salon to the cockpit runs the entire width of the cockpit and overhangs the wall below it by about an inch.

and in an earlier post I asked Ozzy if he had the matching single piece tackle center that sits on the starboard side. If any of you guys know were there is one for sale, please let me know. being in New Orleans, we don't have a lot of salvage boats or Berts for that matter here.

Thanks!
    Tom